Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 10:20 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times

Advertisements

Depends on the market where you are. If property is selling like hotcakes, like in a place like Ann Arbor, MI, then you won't need to do much.

If its not a sellers market, then you will need to do a lot.

I lived in the second and tried to sell in the middle of the housing recession. I had to update the entire house which was 25 years old. We put in new floors everywhere, an additional bathroom, a laundry room, a downstairs living room, a new 10 x 40 foot deck, a new bedroom and remodeled the entire basement. We replaced the well pump, and put on a new roof, put in new sliding glass doors, drywall in the whole garage, new everything except the toilet in the upstairs bath. etc. The only thing we did not do was put in AIR. If we'd have had to pay someone, the remodeling would have cost about 40K+. We did it ourselves for about 15K, over about 18 mo before we sold. And even then we needed to offer a full year's house warranty for up to $1500 in additional things that might need to be fixed. They replaced the only rug that we did not because it was only 2 years old.

It all depends on what you are competing with, and what kind of market you are selling into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 11:00 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
We just sold our north TX house, built in 1984. Carpeted and ceramic tile floors, formica kitchen countertop, cultured marble countertop in one bathroom, laminate in the other. Our agent told us to de-clutter and clean only, not to attempt any updates.

House was listed on a Friday, we accepted an offer on Sunday that was 7% above our asking price.

To be fair, we had that location-location-location thing going, and we had meticulously maintained the house during the 24 years we lived in it. Everything was in tip-top condition and no repairs were needed.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:23 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
I agree that it depends on your competition. If they're all updated, then you need to price accordingly if you're not updated. However, I can't see spending a lot of money on updates, unless as someone else mentioned, you have a mauve counter (or whatever) that would be a clear turnoff. You DEFINITELY need to replace the cracked bathroom counter though. Just replace with a comparable material.

I live in an 80's condo where the original cabinets are almond with oak trim. Totally dated. You cannot believe how many people just stick granite on top of them. I don't even know why they bother...except that I guess some people are still totally mesmerized by granite.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:12 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,717 times
Replacing kitchen cabinets is stupidly expensive and you are 100% GUARANTEED not to get more than about 50% of the cost back upon sale.

Replacing the broken bathroom sink top might be worthwhile, but I would just clean the house from top to bottom - especially the kitchen. Because you would not believe where grease builds up that you don't normally look. Pull the stove out and clean back there and get those 10 years of crumbs and crud that have collected down the sides where you can't normally get in and clean.

Your cabinets are certain to look much better after a thorough cleaning. This is not to say you haven't been cleaning for the past 10 years. It's about going the extra mile to go for the sparkle and shine that has been dulled by 10 years of normal-use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate