Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 01:51 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,270,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsc3zny View Post
central valley, ca between Fresno and Sacramento. Neighborhood has all grass yards, some trees
Do not put in river rock if grass is the norm in your neighborhood. You will stand out in a BAD way.

And doing cheap fixes will not get you top dollar.

If you really do not want to put any money into the house, then price it accordingly and be done with it. Focus on getting it as empty as possible (bonus: less to move!) and clean, clean, clean and then clean some more. Make it look well kept but priced to appeal to someone who wants to fix it up and get some sweat equity.

If you want to get top dollar, then you need to make it worth it to a buyer. Cheap fixes don't do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 03:41 PM

17,718 posts, read 29,906,604 times
Default Spend money to make money

Quote:
I had planned on just using a lava rock, or 2" river rock, whichever is cheapest for a yard.
So wrong.

Hire a landscape designer for 2 hours of advice ($200). Take lots of notes. Now, you know what to do. Plant trees/shrubs as soon as possible so they will be established and a bit larger in 2019.
You want someone to arrive at the curb and say: I want this house.
Cheap is not the way to go.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:45 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,686,984 times
Quote:
We are retiring January 2019 and plan on selling the house, then using the procedes to buy our retirement home. The house needs paint, flooring and a front yard. My question is this. Should I do this work, or either lower price by the amount of work needed, or give buyers back a "rebate" so to speak, after closing. My thoughts are, the buyers can choose what they like for these items,, not what I like. Or should I let the realtor advise me to use something they recommend?

I would definitely paint and in neutral colors. I would do the front yard. Curb appeal. I would put in inexpensive carpet, neutral, too. People decide on buying a particular house like in 2 minutes or something I read. First impressions are the only impressions that stick w/ a person. Why not make the first impression as awesome as you can?

Old 06-12-2017, 06:07 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,709,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
So wrong.

Hire a landscape designer for 2 hours of advice ($200). Take lots of notes. Now, you know what to do. Plant trees/shrubs as soon as possible so they will be established and a bit larger in 2019.
You want someone to arrive at the curb and say: I want this house.
Cheap is not the way to go.
I agree. Unless the carpet is truly stained and horrible looking, putting in more cheap carpet isn't going to make people rush to buy the home. They might want to put in laminate or wood, so why waste money on carpet that the next buyer might not want. Just make sure the carpet and house are CLEAN. If the OP has lots of tchotchkes and stuff, that should be purged. If the walls are scratched, then they may need repainting. Magic eraser can get rid of lots of scuffs, however, if it is just a matter of a paint color not being "trendy" at this time. Not everyone wants World of Gray, so why waste money creating a World of Gray when you can just clean what you have to make it look presentable and get a nice lawn/landscaping out front to make people want to walk through the front door?

Old 06-12-2017, 07:56 PM

125 posts, read 159,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I agree. Unless the carpet is truly stained and horrible looking, putting in more cheap carpet isn't going to make people rush to buy the home. They might want to put in laminate or wood, so why waste money on carpet that the next buyer might not want. Just make sure the carpet and house are CLEAN. If the OP has lots of tchotchkes and stuff, that should be purged. If the walls are scratched, then they may need repainting. Magic eraser can get rid of lots of scuffs, however, if it is just a matter of a paint color not being "trendy" at this time. Not everyone wants World of Gray, so why waste money creating a World of Gray when you can just clean what you have to make it look presentable and get a nice lawn/landscaping out front to make people want to walk through the front door?
definitely needs paint, carpet thrashed, putting in laminate floors

Old 06-12-2017, 08:01 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,393,999 times
One interesting thing our realtor (and some agents on the "caravan") told us was to take down our window treatments. This surprised me because all of them were neutral, simple, and the main rooms custom made. I asked our realtor about that and she said most younger buyers wanted uncurtained windows.

Our house was squeaky clean and we had fixed everything that was not in perfect repair. The walls and carpet were neutral. We had the carpet cleaned even though it was older. Realtor said not to replaced because buyers might want to replace with hardwood. One finished basement room needed painting, and we did that.

We cleared the wooded backyard of all vines, weeds, dead branches. We trimmed all bushes.
Another thing we did was replace all the doorknobs with new brushed nickel ones.

The house was 23 years old. We sold it in one day on the market with three offers.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:01 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,699,903 times
Be aware you should do all this before you retire. It's hard to move and get a mortgage when you don't have an income.

When we fixed up one house, we charged flooring and installation on our Home Depot Card which is interest free for what. . . A year? It's easy to do. They handle all the ordering, measuring, and installing. I bet they'd also do all the painting. Just ask.

I would think the peak time to put your house on the market is now. People are done with kids in school and looking to move before school starts back up. At least that's the way it is in the Houston area. Homes are selling like hot cakes.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:08 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,461,001 times
Quote:
definitely needs paint, carpet thrashed, putting in laminate floors
Then definitely paint. And I would replace carpet with carpet, not laminate. Laminate just looks cheap. Yes, I know carpet can be cheap too, but new carpet doesn't feel that way. And if I want to replace one them down he road, it's easier to replace carpet.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:18 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,262,258 times
just start watching your market. see what similar sized homes sell for the high-end, and on the low-end. As someone said earlier, go to open houses nearby - comparable to yours or not. See what sells and what doesn't.

Right now, yours will sell on the low end, unless you believe the value is in the land.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:21 PM

125 posts, read 159,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
One interesting thing our realtor (and some agents on the "caravan") told us was to take down our window treatments. This surprised me because all of them were neutral, simple, and the main rooms custom made. I asked our realtor about that and she said most younger buyers wanted uncurtained windows.

Our house was squeaky clean and we had fixed everything that was not in perfect repair. The walls and carpet were neutral. We had the carpet cleaned even though it was older. Realtor said not to replaced because buyers might want to replace with hardwood. One finished basement room needed painting, and we did that.

We cleared the wooded backyard of all vines, weeds, dead branches. We trimmed all bushes.
Another thing we did was replace all the doorknobs with new brushed nickel ones.

The house was 23 years old. We sold it in one day on the market with three offers.
2nd paragraph was what im thinking, interesting about first paragraph, we have all custom shades, not the el cheapo white ones, either.

All good tips, much to consider in the next 12 months or so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate