Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 08:20 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times

Advertisements

Getting close to closing date and wondering if it's likely I'll have to meet buyer at closing .
Since I haven't met them already I don't know if I'd want to meet them now .
Seems like it could also be against my interest.

I was looking online and some where saying buyers and sellers don't meet in person at escrow much.
Some said it might be a regional thing too ?
I'm in Los Angeles .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 08:38 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,731,744 times
If you are closing in the same location, you will likely see each other, but you will most likely sign documents in separate rooms.
While waiting for copies before leaving, I chatted with the sellers when I purchased my house. But, my parents have known them for over 40 years, so it was a little bit of a different situation. My first house was a foreclosure, so there were no sellers to chat with and I sold it remotely, so I never met the buyers.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:42 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
I think it is a regional thing. Around here, you probably would NOT be signing at the same time. Maybe not even on the same day.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:48 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,831 times
I have met couple of sellers before closing and during closing. I got some warranty docs, lawn guys # etc details when I went to a property during inspection while under contract. The seller gave me all the 411 on the things about neighbors etc. I even met them in closing since they did paperwork before us and we waited while they got done.

Now there have been instances where the seller was either out of state or avoided us. I am curious to know why it could be against your interest coming across them??

Old 07-18-2017, 08:59 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
I have met couple of sellers before closing and during closing. I got some warranty docs, lawn guys # etc details when I went to a property during inspection while under contract. The seller gave me all the 411 on the things about neighbors etc. I even met them in closing since they did paperwork before us and we waited while they got done.
Despite what I said about the actual signing which usually depends on schedules and availability and may not be at the same time, I do like it when the sale is open and friendly like that. When we bought our place, the sellers were there for the showing, toured us around the farm, were there for every secondary visit and inspection, and came by the house afterwards to see how we were settling in. We were really fond of them.

I think it is more common on farm properties. We've looked at many farms where the owner is actively involved in showing it, and keeping people and animals safe while people look around the property, talking about systems and where the lines are buried. There is more to passing along a farm, than there is a typical house.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:03 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post

Now there have been instances where the seller was either out of state or avoided us. [Bold]I am curious to know why it could be against your interest coming across them??[/bold]
Right here:

"The seller gave me all the 411 on the things about neighbors etc"

Very good way to scuttle the deal.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:03 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times
When we closed on our current home, the sellers came in to sign their paperwork immediately after we signed ours. They did want to meet us to pass on some information, plus the garage door openers and key to the mailbox. We appreciated it.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:15 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Right here:

"The seller gave me all the 411 on the things about neighbors etc"

Very good way to scuttle the deal.
We exchanged info like next door neighbor is a teacher, person across the street is a cop, the community events, pool splash pad details etc. Since this was investment property, I appreciated all the info I got from the seller. I was happy to pass this info on to new tenants.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:14 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
Areas in my region, buyers and sellers and their agents and the closing atty or his rep used to all get together for closing. Only a couple of times was there a fight and yelling. Otherwise, warm and friendly sharing stories or at least polite and mature. Afterwards, could be talking, sharing more info and stories. The attorney's secretary might even bring out a few flutes with champagne.

Nowadays, each side schedules to go in when they can. Sometimes a couple's schedule doesn't even allow for them to go together. One might get the full info while there and the other spouse might just go for a quick signing.

It is not at all wrong for adversarial sides to ask that they have appointments separately. Sometimes, separate appointment times can't be arranged so, a few times, settlement companies have been happy to just have the two sides in separate rooms. iA couple of times, we've had to state there is an adversarial position and soandso does not want to even see or hear the other side. Just to underscore the gravity of the situation.

If you don't want to meet up....ask for separate times.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:30 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
We have met the sellers, either before the closing or at the closing. In both cases the meeting was enjoyable to all parties.

Buyers and sellers aren't always adversarial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate