Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 06:43 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,356,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Someone buying that house isn't going for a mortgage. They are fishing to get someone with cash, that loves the show to buy that home while the show is popular. Joanna has been in several articles not wanting to do the show anymore and focus on her perfume line or something else so their value probably isn't going to go any higher, no show, not much interest. So why not try and cash out while people remember them?

Worst case scenario they got a ton of publicity and it will help their rental business.

So in short, win win for them.
Yup. Looks like people renting them out was their first problem - HGTV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 06:54 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,748,556 times
Someone can list their home for any price they want, but that doesn't mean they'll get that price. Plus it would have to be a cash buyer because it won't appraise.

Many homes that the Gaines have renovated on their show are now being rented out by the home owners for outrageous amounts of money, which Chip and Joanna Gaines have since put in the contract that they can not rent out the home for a certain length of time.

Owners of homes remodeled by HGTV show "Fixer Upper" are renting their homes to vacationers, and hosts Chip and Joanna Gaines don't seem happy | The Kansas City Star

Old 07-03-2017, 07:07 AM

10,111 posts, read 6,455,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Someone can list their home for any price they want, but that doesn't mean they'll get that price. Plus it would have to be a cash buyer because it won't appraise.

Many homes that the Gaines have renovated on their show are now being rented out by the home owners for outrageous amounts of money, which Chip and Joanna Gaines have since put in the contract that they can not rent out the home for a certain length of time.

Owners of homes remodeled by HGTV show "Fixer Upper" are renting their homes to vacationers, and hosts Chip and Joanna Gaines don't seem happy | The Kansas City Star
I don't blame the Gaines at all for being upset at the homeowners they sell to for renting out the houses they have remodeled. The whole premise of their show is that they are family oriented, and that their business is oriented toward getting "nice" families (remember the returning missionaries?) into the houses that they redo, presumably for a new and better life in Waco. Having those "dream" homes subsequently rented out puts a big dent in that business model, both personally and professionally.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:17 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,739,146 times
The only house I sympathize with is Clint's home. I read it was next to his shop, which is obviously easily found because it is his business. They were hounded by fans so much that they had to move. Last I knew, they were renting it out on AirBNB. I can totally understand his family's decision to move. They deserve to have a life without harassment, and they have young children so that is an additional concern.
The rest of the renters seem to be taking advantage of the show.

I do realize that by being on the show, you are setting yourself up for a more public life- people will drive by, take pictures, and some will likely be bold enough to knock on the door or peak through windows. I sympathize with Clint's family more because he is on the show fairly regularly, which puts him in a different category that the couple you forget about after the episode.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:53 AM

19,448 posts, read 27,880,463 times
The price has generated A LOT of publicity for the owner's and Chip and JoAnna Gaines. Hmmm. I betting that was dreamed up by the PR agent who works with ChiPhone and JoAnna.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:04 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,538,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Is that one of those shows where people are looking to buy ridiculously expensive houses with a "modest" budget of $450,000 while the husband works part-time and the wife sells butterfly drawings on eBay?

Seems about as real as the WWF.
No, this one is about buying old crappy places in Waco TX and fixing them up, usually for less than $250,000 total budget. They decorate them nicely for the show and after they sell the furnishings to the homeowners.
Key features include kitchen island and shiplap on the walls.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:31 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,402,450 times
If they really have $40k in bookings @ $325 a night they'd better stick with that cash cow as long as it's hot - because they'll never get even half a mill selling it.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:43 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,558,649 times
Sounds like this family wasn't a wise choice for the show since they are ready to flip for profit.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:18 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,094,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Someone can list their home for any price they want, but that doesn't mean they'll get that price.

A-Men. It's not what the sellers wish to get. It's what the buyers are willing to pay.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:10 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,929,795 times
Yeah--I thought it was the move it or lose it house...
Chip and Joanna were I think really POed when that couple turned that into Airbnb--
Lied to them and they weren't the only ones to take a Magnolia redo and turn into a rental...
That couple moved from Denton--figured one of them was going to Waco for grad school--maybe law school...but they were really pretty snarky about their intentions--lied all bout loving "tiny house" living and likely spent two weeks there at the most--
Wonder if it is listed as their homestead--hope if so they get into trouble w/appraiser office--

That is a great house for weekend retreat or maybe college student...though
Chip had great idea for the loft access and it has great open floor plan---noisy when people are going about daily business I imagine but very attractive, welcoming place...

If I were a BIG Baylor alumnus with private company making lot of money I might buy it to use on trips back or buy for my kid to live in going to school but not for that price...

Like other posters said--
Free publicity for owners' rental business and adding to the appeal to likely buyers...

Don't think Chip and Jo will give up Fixer Upper as long as they are getting the money from HGTV...one reason is that they use their kids on Fixer Upper and can pay them for their appearances and grow the kids' wealth under their own work history--
Makes better tax benefit in some ways--and they do believe in work ethic I think...

They bought new property in Waco city limits--likely will turn it into a wedding/party venue--
They are making money hand over fist--
Got to hand it to them--they know how to ride public appeal and they do seem to turn out a quality remodel job--
Some of the people running those shows are a menace to society with how they remodel...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate