Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 03:25 PM

39 posts, read 27,679 times

Advertisements

Yes, our kids are only 1 and 4 but our neighborhood is new and almost everyone in it has kids their ages. Our 4 year old has lots of friends right next door in a few of the houses, and I see this expanding greatly as time goes on. I don't feel this convenience of friends happens in every neighborhood and is mostly something you luck into. I grew up w no real friends around and it was very hard to be "in" without being in it, if that makes sense. I've also seen friends who don't live near any kids and their kids don't have the convenience of walking right outside to play after the adults finish with work.

I love our neighborhood but there's another town I really want to move to that has everything I personally desire within walking distance, and I think our family would as well. Besides our neighbors there's absolutely nothing around us currently within a 15 minute drive at least. However, I'm so worried about whether our kids would find anyone else to play with nearby. It is so nice after work just stepping outside and having friends for them to play with, but I like the idea of "living in the action" so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 03:29 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Go for a walk around the neighborhood you are thinking about after work one night and see what's going on. I live in a very family friendly neighborhood and most nights, you'd see kids running around, biking, playing in our pocket park. Chat up the adults, tell them you are thinking about moving there and ask what the neighborhood is like. That would give you at least some sense of whether the new area would be similar to your current house in terms of that kind of interaction.

Last edited by emm74; 07-07-2017 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: misplaced apostrophe!

Old 07-07-2017, 04:05 PM

1,078 posts, read 938,265 times
Nope, especially not with kids those ages. Unless you're really happy where you are at, moving to a more convenient location will pay much bigger dividends than neihbor kids when it comes to quality of life.

Walking around is a really good suggestion!

Old 07-07-2017, 04:09 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
there's another town I really want to move to that has everything I personally desire within walking distance, and I think our family would as well.
People talk about wanting things within walking distance, but do they really walk to things in real life?

It's like dating, everyone says they love to walk on the beach when they're dating. We have a beach house, we almost never see anyone walking on the beach.

I'd think about the above post by emm... go for walks in your neighborhood and maybe the new one.... If stores and restaurants and things are within walking distance, I bet they're too busy to let your kids play outside?

Old 07-07-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
People talk about wanting things within walking distance, but do they really walk to things in real life?

It's like dating, everyone says they love to walk on the beach when they're dating. We have a beach house, we almost never see anyone walking on the beach.

I'd think about the above post by emm... go for walks in your neighborhood and maybe the new one.... If stores and restaurants and things are within walking distance, I bet they're too busy to let your kids play outside?
Good question. Well, the place I want to move has a special place in my heart, it's the town where my wife and I got married in and where both our kids were born, it has literally boomed in 4 years and is almost inclusive meaning you hardly have to travel outside of a 1 mile radius to get everything you need, and it is the only place in a flat land area that has hills right next to it that I can Sprint (I'm big into fitness and love running hills and miss this amenity next door). Also, with my wife and I coming closer to paying off our mortgage by age 36, I want to loosen the reigns of our frugal living and be able to do things like bike or walk to a bar for a night out or a Dave and Buster's type place without having to drive 15-20 minutes. If nothing else our drives would only be 2 minutes. Also, the area we like is MUCH more aesthetic and clean looking. Our current neighborhood looks beautiful but just outside of it is mostly weeds and baren desert with trash all along the side of the road and has almost no potential for future growth because we are surrounded by canals and farm land.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:47 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
I think kids are better off being in one school district from K to 12. Never having to be the new kid and make new friends after every move. When their friends are in the neighborhood you will know their parents and family situation. For this reason I say move now if you are going to make a move.

It doesn't sound like much is in your current area. Might not matter now but it will in the future. Will the kids have anything close when they are in high school?

Old 07-07-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I think kids are better off being in one school district from K to 12. Never having to be the new kid and make new friends after every move. When their friends are in the neighborhood you will know their parents and family situation. For this reason I say move now if you are going to make a move.

It doesn't sound like much is in your current area. Might not matter now but it will in the future. Will the kids have anything close when they are in high school?
Well, there is a mall about 5 minutes up the road but it is already dying so I don't see it being much in 12 years. All the stuff worth going to is a 15 minute drive away, right where I ideally want to move to. I guess it isn't horrible driving 15 minutes to get to all the stuff, but even more ideal to live in it if house prices are the same.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:18 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Your kids are still young enough to make new friends.
Do it now before they start building school friend relationships.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:48 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
If you want to move, do it now. Your kids will adjust. It is easier to do it now than before they begin school.

Now, if they were high school age, I'd say stick it out. But toddler/preschool? Move. Now before you really begin to dislike it.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:02 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauxctrack View Post
Good question. Well, the place I want to move has a special place in my heart, it's the town where my wife and I got married in and where both our kids were born, it has literally boomed in 4 years and is almost inclusive meaning you hardly have to travel outside of a 1 mile radius to get everything you need, and it is the only place in a flat land area that has hills right next to it that I can Sprint (I'm big into fitness and love running hills and miss this amenity next door). Also, with my wife and I coming closer to paying off our mortgage by age 36, I want to loosen the reigns of our frugal living and be able to do things like bike or walk to a bar for a night out or a Dave and Buster's type place without having to drive 15-20 minutes. If nothing else our drives would only be 2 minutes. Also, the area we like is MUCH more aesthetic and clean looking. Our current neighborhood looks beautiful but just outside of it is mostly weeds and baren desert with trash all along the side of the road and has almost no potential for future growth because we are surrounded by canals and farm land.
with all the amenities of the place you want to move, it's hard to imagine that there aren't lots of young families choosing to live there and enjoy the location the way you would.

I would still check it out, but I'd be very surprised if you don't find a friendly, family-oriented place with kids playing together and neighbors socializing the way you have now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate