Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 05:38 PM

531 posts, read 453,457 times

Advertisements

Just saw a listing for an incredibly grubby little house in a bad neighborhood in Cincinnati, which stated "Buyer highly motivated". I suppose they mean any buyer would have to be highly motivated for some non-market reason in order to buy the house. Or perhaps it's a Freudian slip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 06:49 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,020,744 times
You mean "seller highly motivated". That usually means they want to get rid of the dump no matter what, so will take (or at least closely look at all offers, even ones that seem ridiculous.)

I've never seen one listed with "buyer highly motivated". If it was, they made a mistake.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:20 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
I see folks on this forum use Buyer and Seller interchangeably and incorrectly.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:37 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,079,532 times
I think it is a rather funny typo. Although maybe it means that only a highly motivated buyer would ever consider the place.

"seller motivated" really ought to mean bring any offers and the seller will take any offer that approaches anywhere near being reasonable.

Strangely enough, any time I have offered on a listing that says the seller is highly motivated, the seller won't accept a reasonable offer. So apparently, it means that the seller desperately wants to sell the property, but only for full price.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:29 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Funny and careless! Doesn't sound like a very detail-oriented seller's agent.

When I see a listing with the phrase "motivated seller" my gut reaction is often "what's wrong with this deal?" Oh I know, I know, lots of reasons for the statement, but a sign that something isn't going right.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:10 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
when I see "motivated seller", I assume all sellers are motivated, or they wouldn't go through the trouble of listing their house for sale. sometimes, they mean "the price is still too high, but the seller wants us to say this, so maybe you will bring an offer anyway. You know, they're on of THOSE sellers that say 'but they can bring us an offer'""

Old 08-26-2017, 05:29 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
That's funny. Yes, the seller in highly motivated and could care less if you don't buy it.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:33 PM

902 posts, read 863,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Funny and careless! Doesn't sound like a very detail-oriented seller's agent.

When I see a listing with the phrase "motivated seller" my gut reaction is often "what's wrong with this deal?" Oh I know, I know, lots of reasons for the statement, but a sign that something isn't going right.
Sounds like a typical real estate agent to me. It's not like you have to pass the MCAT to become licensed.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:41 AM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
"Buyer highly motivated".
Means that only Tony Robbins "graduates" may submit offers.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:52 PM

752 posts, read 1,495,436 times
Typical..highly motivated seller, yet won't take anything less than their inflated asking price...

My neighbor has words to that effect in her listing--townhouse has been for sale since January. She really, really wants to sell it, so she says; she bought a new house, and is thus juggling expenses for both properties for months now. The place is vacant and has had a few problems since being vacant (ie broken screen, water tank replacement and leak).

She is asking too much for the place and apparently has refused to lower the price even once in those 8 months. I know she has turned down at least two offers that were within 10% of asking. Its in a fairly hot market, so eight months is an awfully long time. Its otherwise in very good shape, updated but simply too high asking....she says she is "selling it at a loss" and thus the higher price is justified. She really does not seem to get that buyers don't care a hoot about how much the seller 'needs'--they care about what the market dictates. There are at least six more comps. in the same neighborhood right now as competition...and all except one had gone under contract within 3 months of being placed on market. Some people just are not realistic.

Last edited by Austin023; 08-27-2017 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate