Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 04:46 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,231,792 times

Advertisements

what homes is your agent using for comps? What kind of flooring do they have? Even if they aren't listed anymore, that info will still be in MLS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 07:27 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,119,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
what homes is your agent using for comps? What kind of flooring do they have? Even if they aren't listed anymore, that info will still be in MLS.
What a great idea! Now that you brought it up I'm surprised I did't think to do that. Five gold stars for Emm!

This was so easy to do, especially since I've been keeping my own list of nearby houses that have sold over the past year. I just looked through the photos for about 20 comparable places, sorting them by how quickly the houses sold.

The results: For the faster selling homes about 2/3 of the houses in the faster selling category had ceramic tile, but more than I would have guessed had the LVP.

Interestingly, the same split happened in the slower selling houses: 2/3 of them had ceramic tile, and 1/3 had LVP.

So what to make of this? My take is flooring material in a guest bathroom isn't a make or break deal. People may have preferences but they buy a house based on other consideration. (Although you could argue that if all other things are equal, buyers might choose the house with the ceramic tile; I guess there's really no way of telling.)

So we're crossing our fingers and going with the LVP. Hope it's the right decision.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:17 AM

34,100 posts, read 83,032,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
So what to make of this?
Ceramic tile has long been the default choice for bathrooms.

Quote:
My take is flooring material in a guest bathroom isn't a make or break deal.
It isn't. Which is why many bathrooms get vinyl sheet - as a satisfactory budget choice.

Quote:
So we're crossing our fingers and going with the LVP. Hope it's the right decision.
It isn't. Get a tile contractor in to quote you on doing the job right. Then sit on it.

If/when it becomes NEEDED to do the tile job because it is the determining factor
in an otherwise qualified offer... you give the BUYER the estimate and deduct the amount.
Then you let THEM open that can of worms.

Has anyone discussed the plumbing issues involved when you raise the floor level? LINK
---

Don't do a tile or LVP job on spec.
If the existing vinyl is worn enough to warrant replacement... replace it.
Attached Thumbnails
What do realtors think of LVP vs. ceramic tile? Which one to sell the house? Or does it matter?-closet-flange.jpg  

Old 01-29-2018, 09:22 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,311,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
> The price point is $650-700.

Usually that is ceramic tile country. But you had linoleum? That's very low end.
Vinyl and linoleum are NOT the same thing.

https://www.thespruce.com/vinyl-floo...m-tile-1314690

Some linoleum flooring is quite expensive, especially custom jobs. I've seen some older houses with a "retro renovation" with real linoleum flooring in custom colors/tile patterns costing thousands of dollars.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:52 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,667,164 times
We finished our basement a year and a half ago and we went with a wood-look LVP throughout. It's very realistic looking and people are always impressed when they see it. Since it's living space we weren't looking to go with sheet goods--the alternatives were wood or laminate.

It was also pretty expensive, particularly because the cellar floor had a lot of dips and needed a lot of leveling, which added considerably to the installation cost.

Does anyone know if sheet vinyl comes in the same kinds of intense colors that you can get with Marmoleum? I like Marmoleum but it's also quite expensive to buy and install.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:03 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,945,828 times
I had ceramic tile on 2 of my bathroom floors and I detest it. It's cold/hard and hard to clean. Also, I had a slow leak from my toilet and didn't notice it until my subfloor was damaged. I just hate the stuff.

I hired someone to rip out all of that ceramic tile (what a nightmare) and installed sheet vinyl. I LOVE it. Inexpensive and comfortable to walk on. It has come a long way. Mine is lovely. It's as close to waterproof as it gets.

As far as LVT--I just did my entire downstairs over concrete slab and some old (80s) linoleum. I've had it down for 2 years now. I love it and so does everyone else. Cleaning is a breeze. Still looks great. I did it myself and it was my easiest floor install ever.

Around here, everyone wants flooring and not carpet. LVT has been showing up a lot lately and buyers seem okay with it.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:18 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,228,304 times
Personally I prefer vinyl to hard cold ceramic tile. Actually its more of hate thing but lets just say prefer.
But most people are concerned about looks, status, money, and maybe if they have huge dogs or teenage boys, wear.

So probably I'd go with tile

Old 02-01-2018, 10:36 PM

768 posts, read 719,398 times
I agree with Mr. Rational, for the most part. Every time I fix my house up to sell, I ask myself why didn't I do this for myself when I lived here? And then the new owners move in and change everything anyway. Since you don't know what will be desired by the owners, I suggest making it look nice at the least amount of effort and expense. Of course this is assuming there are no underlying problems.

Having said that, my friends were having a tough time selling their house. They held many open houses, reduced the price, did a lot of advertising but no legitimate offers came in. Their house was very outdated and needed a lot of work. Basically it was a solid house but it had 1950's cabinets and appliances and the flooring was terrible

Finally they hired a friend of mine to replace all their flooring with laminated hardwood. The house sold immediately at full asking price. You never know.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:13 AM

731 posts, read 936,606 times
I truly believe you do need to change the flooring. Gone are the days of throwing your house on the market without trying to appeal to the masses. The more desirable your house looks (most people are visual), the more people that will be interested. That is great news for the seller. Also, HGTV has brought a new vision to most people when it comes to houses. Jeans used to be a very utilitarian clothing item. Now people buy $200 jeans to make themselves look and feel better. Same thing is happening with homes now. People expect a certain level of "fashion". Especially the younger generations and that's who we all need to appeal to now.

Personally, if I was buying your house, I would prefer that you put down LVT. I might love it and keep it or I may decide to change it to something I prefer. Either way, the LVT will be 10 times easier to remove in order to make my own changes. I would also prefer to heat the tile in a bathroom, where I expect to stand barefoot (and I Hate to be cold), so I would be able to make that choice if you did LVT.

LVT is a very affordable and easy way to make your house appeal more to visual buyers and so easy to change if that just isn't their taste.

Good luck with your sale!!

Old 02-02-2018, 09:40 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,119,905 times
My realtor made the same point--she could tell a buyer how easy it was to remove in case they didn't like it.

We put in the LVP. Now that I have it, I'm a fan, looks better than I would have thought. Vinyl sure has improved recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate