Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 05:12 PM

509 posts, read 782,322 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am wondering what some thoughts are about making an attic space useful for storage if it currently isn't.

Here's the situation - this is a rental property I own and I'm thinking of selling it. Currently the access to the attic is a very small opening in a small closet. The smallness of the opening makes the attic essentially unusable for storage as it would just be too hard to get things up there. The attic is a decent size and there are no support "trusses" (not of sure of correct wording - basically it's a completely open attic) that take up space, making it seem quite spacious and functional.

So, I'm thinking of installing, in the main hallway under the attic, one of those pull down stair/attic doors to make the access easy and make the opening bigger. It seems to me that this would add a lot of value and maybe even a "wow" factor as it would make it easy for potential buyers to go up there and get a good look around and be wowed by how much space is there. Essentially it would unlock a lot of un-utilized storage space (about 500 sq ft).

I'm guessing it would cost $500-$1,000 total to install (materials and labor), but that's just a guess.

Is it worth doing this project?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 06:26 PM

5,995 posts, read 3,731,946 times
I would think that easy attic access would be a very good thing for almost any house. This would be especially important for small houses with limited storage space.

Old 12-13-2019, 06:27 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
I did it in one house but it was the house we lived in. Would I do such for a rental property? No.

Old 12-13-2019, 08:00 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,568,656 times
It's possible that the reason there's no storage access is because the floor joists aren't rated for any additional loading. While putting in an access stair is simple, you could be creating a structural problem in the process. Get an experienced contractor or 2 to give you their opinions.

Old 12-13-2019, 08:02 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
No one is going to pay more for a house with an attic ladder. It might sway someone if they are deciding between your house and another, but it's wasted time and money in my opinion.

Getting stuff up and down those attic ladders isn't easy. Is there no insulation on the ceiling of the rooms below/floor of the attic? I ask because that insulation often makes attic storage difficult.

Old 12-13-2019, 10:07 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
We installed an attic ladder in a house, to have easier access to the attic for inspection, and for rolling out more insulation. I wouldn't bother doing it in a house I was selling, and I sure as heck wouldn't do it for a rental house - I do NOT want tenants in attics and basements, if I can possibly avoid it.

Old 12-14-2019, 02:15 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Too often, when tenants store things they don't need, they "forget" to take those 2 truckloads of unwanted items with them.

Old 12-14-2019, 03:47 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
The opening is small to discourage the “uninformed” from going up there. Ever hear of people taking a couple steps in the attic then falling through the floor into a room below?

Many homes only have ceilings not supported enough for anything remotely heavy like a box of books or toys.

If you can install a wood floor it might work but it’s probably not worth it.

Old 12-14-2019, 06:27 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,491,963 times
If there are no support trusses in the attic, it is highly likely it is not meant for storage. Is this in California? Many houses in California are not designed for any attic floor loads.

Old 12-14-2019, 08:21 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
In most cases, truss roof systems are not designed to handle significant loads (there are exceptions). So step one would be to determine the type of roof system you have. Trusses should not be modified without approval from a structural engineer as cutting them can impact the integrity of the roof system. Depending on the direction the trusses go, you can sometimes install a pulldown in between the trusses (which are generally 24" on center)
In the event you have a rafter system, it would be much easier to deal with as you can header off the area where the pulldown stairway goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate