Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 07:02 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
Excuse me? I'm a REALTOR over 30 years and certainly not in the EAST since I'm in FLORIDA .. as it says on my info.

I would not have a client purchase a house without an inspection of some kind....never have
Florida's not in the East? When did they move it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 08:35 AM

599 posts, read 499,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post

A cautionary note: some contracts with inspectors limit damages to the cost of the inspection.
Have you actually seen a victimized homeowner recover any worthwhile damages from an incompetent home inspector? Enough to even cover the victim's legal fees. I have not. I ask this since, as a custom homebuilder, occasional independent inspector, and paid witness in home defect lawsuits, I have dealt with some of the many clowns who hang a shingle claiming that they are "professional home inspectors". My experience, and the information from the litigators I have worked with, is that an inspection contract is well written to protect the inspector, no matter how incompetent or corrupt they may be, and makes any meaningful recovery essentially impossible.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:55 AM

768 posts, read 859,911 times
Totally depends upon who you choose for an inspection. Some of these people are magnificent losers....keep giving you disclosures why they can't find what you want them to find or why they can't look "there".

Old 09-09-2019, 08:56 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
Have you actually seen a victimized homeowner recover any worthwhile damages from an incompetent home inspector? Enough to even cover the victim's legal fees. I have not. I ask this since, as a custom homebuilder, occasional independent inspector, and paid witness in home defect lawsuits, I have dealt with some of the many clowns who hang a shingle claiming that they are "professional home inspectors". My experience, and the information from the litigators I have worked with, is that an inspection contract is well written to protect the inspector, no matter how incompetent or corrupt they may be, and makes any meaningful recovery essentially impossible.
No, I have not. I could have easily written "most contracts" limit damages, but I really don't know what practices are in all 49 other states...although I do have my suspicions.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:54 AM

386 posts, read 169,514 times
We never had an inspection done on the new homes we bought but we always do on the used ones.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:35 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,727,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Buying it as is with a short option period, which gives the unrestricted right to terminate. Buyer gets inspection and decides either to continue with contract or terminate. Does not ask for any repairs regardless of what inspectior finds.
TREC contracts have both an as is box to check, and a section detailing the option period.
But this is still a contingency, which a seller might or might not want to accept. They're not making repairs, they're not negotiating. Depending on the market, if another offer comes in with no contingency, that one is going to win the day.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:52 PM

289 posts, read 224,743 times
Recently ran into an inspector Lake City Inspections in CDA, ID (lakecityinspections.com) that has a $25,000 warranty coverage, a roof guarantee and a 90 day buy back guarantee if they miss anything. Had a buyer use them back in June and they seemed competent. But wow, how does a warranty like that work?

Old 09-09-2019, 01:16 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokaneinvestor View Post
But wow, how does a warranty like that work?
Insurance

Old 09-09-2019, 01:23 PM

289 posts, read 224,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Insurance
Always nice to see one word answers. What insurance company is going to take on that level of risk without a premium that makes the inspection cost non-competitive. And what small inspection company can afford to self insure (aka deductible) any large amount of the claim. The claim might be the small cost, the legal fees could be the real cost. Anyway, my thoughts are it is a sales gimmick with nothing behind it.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:28 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnley View Post
Yes actually I am also sending a notice that gives me the right to terminate if the lenders appraisal is below the offer price. Do you think that’s why sellers are declining my high offers?
Yes.

Also, insurance companies will not insure without inspection and you cannot get a mortgage without insurance.

So you can only decline inspection if you are paying cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate