Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 07:15 AM

7 posts, read 30,827 times

Advertisements

Legal question for the folks in real estate-is it possible to offer a neighbor or someone else a bonus if they help sell your house? For example, give out a community flyer that says "If your friend, etc. buys my home, I will give you a check for $1,000!"?

OR

can I call an agent that showed my house to their client and offer them a bonus if they sell it to them? I know it needs to be disclosed...

Just cuious, money is very motivating...

I am listed with a realtor and both he and the buyers agent still get their standard commission. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 09:23 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
In NJ we added a seller agent bonus of $1,000 to our contract.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:06 AM

342 posts, read 1,793,179 times
We had a so-called bounty of $10,000 that just expired. It made no difference whatsoever. In fact, I posted this in the RE Professionals forum and asked their opinions on the subject. Of those who responded most looked down on it and stated that we should just take that amount off of the asking price instead. Which is what we have done. The up shot is that even though they may make referrals to your home, only the buyer will make the decision. Just my 2 cents. Good luck to you in your sale.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:26 AM

222 posts, read 877,524 times
We had people selling their house in neighborhood include it in the little postcards that they took around.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:16 PM

540 posts, read 2,173,144 times
In Oregon you can't pay a "referral fee" to anyone who does not hold a real estate license. Now, is the rule for real estate professionals - I don't know if there would be a loop hole that allowed a seller to do so. I'd check with your state Real Estate office first just to be sure. You may be getting your agent in trouble by doing that...(laws vary from state to state...)

Again, I'd like to make the point that while money is INDEED a motivator for almost all of us - very few (if any) real estate professionals are able to get a client to buy a home they don't want just so THEY (the agent) can make a few extra bucks. Perhaps with a few classes in hypnosis I could do it, but I wouldn't be in business very long anyway...because no one would EVER come back to me, would they?

Put any "bonus" or "bounty" against other incentives that directly impact the BUYER (lower the price, help with closing costs, allowance for updates to carpets or cabinets...). That's where it will do the most good.

DaveP

Old 05-08-2008, 05:01 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
It is my opinion that the complicating factor here is "listed with Realtor". If the property is listed, especially under an exclusive agency contract, the law is very clear that you can not pay a referral fee as the OP described. The key issues are first, intent. If a neighbor is actively attempting to sell your home for compensation, then that is real estate and illegal whether listed or not. Secondly, if the neighbor is in anyway involved in negotiation, even sharing the asking price with a prospective buyer, it becomes improper.

Lots of issues, but had the home never been listed, a referral might have had less chance of being illegal.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:38 AM

47 posts, read 164,619 times
In Illinois, when you give anyone money in association with selling a home who's not a licensed realtor, it is against the Real Estate Licensing Act 2000. The fine for getting caught/reported is up to $25,000.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:24 PM

22 posts, read 77,288 times
You cannot pay cash. But you could give a gift such as a gift card to a local restaurant, or some other item that might be a benefit. In Madison, we recently had a buyer offer one year of season Packer tickets!

Be creative and think out of the box - you can do it!

Old 07-29-2009, 02:00 PM

223 posts, read 757,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilson67 View Post
In Illinois, when you give anyone money in association with selling a home who's not a licensed realtor, it is against the Real Estate Licensing Act 2000. The fine for getting caught/reported is up to $25,000.
I realize that this is an old post, but I was wondering if it would be legal (in ILLINOIS) to offer a gift card instead, or a donation to a non-profit of the referring friend's choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate