Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2021, 03:20 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,432,012 times

Advertisements

Can repairs on a properties in separate LLC's be deducted from income generated from other properties you own?

Suppose you had a big repair and long vacancy in one unit that's in its own LLC. The repair costs exceeded the rent it earned that year. Can repairs in excess of income be deducted from income generated on another property you own?

If not, would the properties being under the same entity change anything?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 03:48 PM

738 posts, read 764,457 times
If I remember correctly for an active investor each llc is a disregarded entity for tax purposes so while they have tax returns they flow to your personal tax return and all of profit and losses are combined into one taxable income number. So yes. You really ought to talk to a local accountant though especially since states income tax rules can differ.

Old 03-04-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope48 View Post
If I remember correctly for an active investor each llc is a disregarded entity for tax purposes so while they have tax returns they flow to your personal tax return and all of profit and losses are combined into one taxable income number. So yes. You really ought to talk to a local accountant though especially since states income tax rules can differ.
That makes sense. I will definitely not go this alone in regards to having a CPA once I build a portfolio - right now I'm trying to put out feelers before I decide to own any rental properties and get that ball rolling. Covering all the what-if's right now.

Old 03-04-2021, 04:04 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,974,961 times
Definitely check with a CPA or tax professional on it.

Old 03-04-2021, 05:52 PM

5,969 posts, read 3,711,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Can repairs on a properties in separate LLC's be deducted from income generated from other properties you own?

Suppose you had a big repair and long vacancy in one unit that's in its own LLC. The repair costs exceeded the rent it earned that year. Can repairs in excess of income be deducted from income generated on another property you own?

Thanks!
You need to keep your rental income, expenses, depreciation, etc separate for each property for tax purposes. However, you file just one aggregate tax return per year (not counting quarterly estimates), so losses on one property would offset an equal amount of gains on another property for that tax year.

It's especially important that you keep depreciation and improvements separate for each property because that will help determine your "adjusted basis" on the property whenever you sell it and have to recapture the depreciation for tax purposes.

If you aren't familiar with these terms and how they apply to rental property, then I suggest you start reading the applicable sections on the IRS website. Or, do as I did and get the booklets from IRS pertaining to your situation and read them and underline the specific applicable sections. Then keep these booklets with your copies of your tax returns for when you have to refer back to them for something.

It's much easier to refresh your memory several years later if you have the booklets with the marked up important applicable sections. That way, you'll be able to remember WHY you did something a certain way or classified something in a certain category. Feel free to write notes and memos as to what you did and file them away with your copies of your taxes and the backup documentation. Believe me, you'll thank yourself later when you have to refer back to them.

Old 03-04-2021, 06:50 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post

Thanks!
Boggles my mind that you would own rentals for any length of time and be so clueless about how the taxes work.

Hire a tax pro.

smh.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Boggles my mind that you would own rentals for any length of time and be so clueless about how the taxes work.

Hire a tax pro.

smh.
See post #3.

Quote:
right now I'm trying to put out feelers before I decide to own any rental properties and get that ball rolling. Covering all the what-if's right now.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:24 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
Your under an llc will be passed through on your personal taxes and your CPA will fill out Schedule E. You can look at that form and I think it will answer your questions as to how the IRS looks at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate