Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2008, 02:16 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,273,345 times

Advertisements

NYC is to expensive. Move to Wilkes-Barre, Pa. instead! 1. It cost a fraction of what NYC cost. 2. the schools are good. 3. No traffic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 05:22 PM

331 posts, read 639,619 times
Default Oh Dear..

Wilkes-Barre is definitely not beautiful. If you were going to move to Northeastern PA, you'd be better off moving closer to Scranton. The whole region is depressed, though, which is WHY everything is so cheap. Looking for a job? Better enjoy stacking things. "Stacking things," you ask? That's right. The only jobs available in NEPA are stacking: lumber, water jugs, rocks.

The Northern Tier of PA is beautiful, but really quite difficult to live in for most professionals. The job market just isn't even close to being decent.

Oh yeah, and about Wilkes-Barre schools being 'good.' That is a total joke. Meyers, GAR, and Coughlin are all jokes. Dallas is slightly better, but then there is Lehman next door that is just as bad. Abington Heights is a pretty decent school district, as is Tunkhannock (although it has a horrible drug probably of late).

Why would you want my opinion on this? I was born/raised in NEPA. Went to school at Penn State. Moved to New England for a few years. Came back because of the "revitalization," and left because it was the same as it always was. I worked in Wilkes-Barre for a year and hated going into that city every day of that year. I now live in Northern Jersey and work at Viacom in Manhattan.

I am a rural guy, but I can't recommend Wilkes-Barre over NYC at all.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:50 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
Isn't this where the mayor ran for re-election on the platform of: Our light poles are no longer falling over and hitting things and people on the sidewalk any more because of me. So re-elect me!

If you think I'm kidding, watch the video

YouTube - Tom Leighton's Vision for Wilkes Barre

Old 05-17-2008, 06:41 PM

Scranton? Wasn't Scranton voted "The armpit of America" in a national magazine? I wouldn't let my dog live there. Even if I was punishing him for being bad! Wilkes-Barre is much nicer and family friendly. Many people from NYC metro are moving here every week. Because the cost of living is so much cheaper. Many NYC investors are buying up Wilkes-Barre properties, renovating them and renting them out, and making alot of money doing it! You're missing out!

Old 05-17-2008, 06:46 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Scranton? Wasn't Scranton voted "The armpit of America" in a national magazine? I wouldn't let my dog live there. Even if I was punishing him for being bad! Wilkes-Barre is much nicer and family friendly. Many people from NYC metro are moving here every week. Because the cost of living is so much cheaper. Many NYC investors are buying up Wilkes-Barre properties, renovating them and renting them out, and making alot of money doing it! You're missing out!

You don't seem to be clear about your promotion. First you tell us to move there, then you say that New Yorkers are buying up the property, fixing it and renting them out, probably because the NYers don't want to live there!!

I guess it's fine to suggest it as an investment opportunity, but as such it really doesn't belong in the NY forum. Try real estate instead.

edited to say: I re-read and now I see that you do say NYers are moving there. However, it still doesn't belong in this forum since I suspect this is just about how you can increase your own property value.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You don't seem to be clear about your promotion. First you tell us to move there, then you say that New Yorkers are buying up the property, fixing it and renting them out, probably because the NYers don't want to live there!!

I guess it's fine to suggest it as an investment opportunity, but as such it really doesn't belong in the NY forum. Try real estate instead.

edited to say: I re-read and now I see that you do say NYers are moving there. However, it still doesn't belong in this forum since I suspect this is just about how you can increase your own property value.
You're just jealous.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:29 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,935,675 times
Quote:
You're just jealous.
No, we're not. We're actually happy living here in NYC. Different strokes for different folks. I'm moving this thread.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:26 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,968,482 times
Quote:
You're just jealous.
That tired phrase was used to describe renters in 2005. Now upside down homeowners are the ones jealous of renters who are immune from home prices falling like a rock.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:13 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,116,728 times
And you won't have to miss the NYC crime - it will be right there outside your door!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate