Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2008, 11:12 AM

1,047 posts, read 2,786,523 times

Advertisements

When I was driving in an area that I am interested in buying a house, I noticed a sign saying a house was going to be auctioned.

What happens at an auction and what would I need to have with me in order to bid/purchase?

Is this something a person should try without an agent?

What are the reasons a house would be going to auction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 11:27 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,987,602 times
You need to find out the terms of this particular auction. You will need a deposit in hand to get the house...the terms will specifiy how much. Then usually, you will have to close within a certain time, like 10 days or something. Usually auction notices get published in the local paper with all the details. Was there any contact info in front of the house besides an auction sign?

Old 05-11-2008, 11:29 AM

PS: You can do it without an agent, because I highly doubt the institution auctioning a home is going to pay an agent commission. The house is being auctioned because it is being foreclosed on. On occasion, owners will try and have an auction to sell their own home...some hairbrained scheme I've seen fail a few times.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:38 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,249,701 times
Was it a Sheriff's Sale notice or a private auction? BIG difference.

Sheriff's Sale auction will take place at the courthouse. You must put down a chunk of money to be able to bid (refunded if you are not the high bidder) and if you are the high bidder you must provide funds that same day.

Private auction they typically open the house up an hour before they are ready to start and that is your opportunity to view the property. Smart bidders bring an inspector along to get his opinion prior to the bidding process. There is no fee to register to bid, but be aware that there is a substantial percentage added to the winning bid to pay the auction company. Closings on these types of properties happen generally 10-21 days after the sale. It could be a homeowner that just does not wish to deal with a slow market or it could be a trustee selling the home.

In either case make sure to do your homework before you decide to place a bid.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:43 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,316,688 times
Just because the house is up for auction DOES NOT MEAN it's a foreclosure.

Houses are many times auctioned to settle estates. They sell everything in and around the house, then the house. Happens all the time.

Houses are also sold by auction by people that want or need to sell their house by a deadline (real or imagined). They might have a reserve so they know they are at least going to get $XXX out of it.

Most auctions do not pay a realtor, but you may want to pay a small fee for one to help you out. It's pretty straight forward procedure though.

They will usually have a day available for you to have an inspection prior to the auction. I have inspected dozens and dozens of homes prior to auctions, and not all of them were foreclosures. You should get an inspection prior to bidding.
Good luck

Old 05-11-2008, 02:50 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,320,651 times
In Kentucky and most states, the seller offers the terms and conditions of the sale which are described in a sale bill and by the auctioneer prior to the asking for bids. The buyer by bidding agrees to the terms and conditions at the price he/she is willing to pay.

Most auctioneers also know that by offering a buyer-broker fee, they will more than recoup that expense if they must pay a two or three percent fee.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:18 PM

Around here, all the auctions ARE foreclosures. I realize that's not the case all the time, but more than likely it is.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:30 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,210,824 times
does anyone know anything about outstanding liens on auction properties?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate