Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:59 AM

959 posts, read 1,824,585 times

Advertisements

After 17 days on the market and $22,000 price drop, we still have had no showings. Can anyone see something wrong?

Moderator cut: URL removed

(http://kathrynhammerseng.edinarealty.com/Public/Listing/ListingDetail.aspx?Listing=32573119&Image=1 - broken link)

Last edited by Marka; 07-29-2008 at 07:11 AM..

Old 07-28-2008, 11:04 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,429,021 times
The only thing I see is that the writeup isn't very descriptive. Tells a little about the home, but it's not much. I like to write descriptions almost like a story about the house. Walk in the house and just start writing what you see as you travel through the home. Makes it stand out a little more than the other listings, which may be enough to get you a showing over some others. Pique their interests.

Pricing-wise, I'd put it at $450K on the nose. That way if you've got someone looking from $450-$500, you're the best priced home in their range. As it is now, you won't come up on searches.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:09 AM

16 posts, read 35,442 times
Ok, I am not a realtor, but I am moving shortly, so I have been looking at alot of pictures of homes on the internet. My first question is: is the house empty?

The kitchen looks very bare to me....like no one lives there. Also, I would set up the deck to look "fun" fix the chairs and open the umbrella.

Again, this is a first impression of the pictures....I didn't even look to see other homes in the price range.

Whenever I see pictures of an empty house, I wonder why it is empty.

Also maybe take a picture of the deck from the other direction...will all of the houses in the neighborhood still be in the view?

Old 07-28-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
The only thing I see is that the writeup isn't very descriptive. Tells a little about the home, but it's not much. I like to write descriptions almost like a story about the house. Walk in the house and just start writing what you see as you travel through the home. Makes it stand out a little more than the other listings, which may be enough to get you a showing over some others. Pique their interests.

Pricing-wise, I'd put it at $450K on the nose. That way if you've got someone looking from $450-$500, you're the best priced home in their range. As it is now, you won't come up on searches.

The agent said that they are limited as to the amount of space for the description. Our flyers have much more description.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:13 AM

16 posts, read 35,442 times
The only thing I see is that the writeup isn't very descriptive.

Also true. The description reads like a text message. Also, check the spelling.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenyg View Post
Ok, I am not a realtor, but I am moving shortly, so I have been looking at alot of pictures of homes on the internet. My first question is: is the house empty?

The kitchen looks very bare to me....like no one lives there. Also, I would set up the deck to look "fun" fix the chairs and open the umbrella.

Again, this is a first impression of the pictures....I didn't even look to see other homes in the price range.

Whenever I see pictures of an empty house, I wonder why it is empty.

Also maybe take a picture of the deck from the other direction...will all of the houses in the neighborhood still be in the view?

No the house is not empty, we live in it. I have to at the kitchen comment. That is how my kitchen always looks. I had a mom who always had crap all over the counters so I guess you could say that I am the EXACT oposite. I have my pantry and that is where most of my items are stored.

There are houses all around us so I don't there there is a way to not get any houses in the shot. I can do some looking though.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:17 AM

84 posts, read 333,821 times
The house is beautiful and the pictures are great. I agree about the description. It could use a little more. Are the directions that clear? I also looked it up on Realtor.com. Seems fine there. I don't know what the market is like in your area but homes over $300,000 here are sitting still, and few showings. Your home obviously has a particular buyer that it will appeal to, more than likely not first time buyers, empty nesters, etc. In our area right now Brokers Opens are huge! Not sure if your area does these, it's where all the local agents are invited to view the house on one particular day and lunch is usually served for free to get them in. This of course is all handled by the agent. If there are any military bases near by you could advertise with their housing office. (we are allowed to do that here)

Old 07-28-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiekr View Post
The house is beautiful and the pictures are great. I agree about the description. It could use a little more. Are the directions that clear? I also looked it up on Realtor.com. Seems fine there. I don't know what the market is like in your area but homes over $300,000 here are sitting still, and few showings. Your home obviously has a particular buyer that it will appeal to, more than likely not first time buyers, empty nesters, etc. In our area right now Brokers Opens are huge! Not sure if your area does these, it's where all the local agents are invited to view the house on one particular day and lunch is usually served for free to get them in. This of course is all handled by the agent. If there are any military bases near by you could advertise with their housing office. (we are allowed to do that here)

Yes, the directions are really easy. That has been a blessing because the house we came from had nightmare directions.

My agent says the same thing about the price range we are in. It is the slowest selling one, that is for sure.

We are having our first open house this weekend and I will ask her about the broker opens. That sounds like a good idea.

Kristine

Old 07-28-2008, 11:20 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,095 times
Your house is beautiful. I agree about the listing being very minimal and written like a text. Don't like that at all. If you aren't familiar with real estate lingo, you'd be lost. Also, you are in a higher price range. With the media talking about the gloom and doom to come, many people are probably scared to buy that high. And it's harder to get a mortgage. Good luck. Believe me, 17 days is nothing. Hang in there!

Old 07-28-2008, 11:21 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
17 days is nothing.. the only thing I really noticed is that there is nothing about the location. As someone who is not familiar with the area at all, it's pretty far from the Twin Cities so you might want to spell out the character of the town for your buyers so they don't think it's Deliverance. Even here in CA, if it's that far from a major urban center it can be suspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate