Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 15,931 times

Advertisements

What percentage less, is a reasonable offer for a house that has been on the market for 18 months?! House is in New York state, owners put on the market in March 2007, for $369,000 (very over priced). Current asking price is $299,000. Also, if I put in an offer it would be contingent on me selling my current house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 07:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Well..is $299K still overpriced ? That's the first thing you need to figure out.
You should know the market you're dealing in.

This forum can't help you decide on a price. That is local to your town. Your RE Agent can give you much more accurate information on how property is selling in your area.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:27 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well..is $299K still overpriced ? That's the first thing you need to figure out.
You should know the market you're dealing in.

This forum can't help you decide on a price. That is local to your town. Your RE Agent can give you much more accurate information on how property is selling in your area.
Hey, you stole my line! Good advice, I agree with you.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 15,931 times
Thanks for all the advice (sarcastic)... just looking for others input since how has been vacant 18 months due to previous owners transferred (after only owning 7 months)

Old 08-20-2008, 09:10 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,180,895 times
Well JSW, do you have an agent?? Have they pulled up the very very recent comps for the area? Has there been any offers made on the property or any deals that fell thru? what is the scoop on the house...do you know if they are trying to avoid foreclosure, are they needin gto relocate out of the area, or is there illness or an impending divorce??
Find out as much as you can beforehand, IMO.

I do have to say a lot of folks I talk to are not too keen on doing a contingengcy.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:22 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSW3 View Post
Thanks for all the advice (sarcastic)... just looking for others input since how has been vacant 18 months due to previous owners transferred (after only owning 7 months)
Well how would we know (sarcastic)??

What is the market value of the house? Do the owners have any reason to sell for less or is the company paying the mortgage and they can hang on for a while without lowering the price? What did they pay for the house 2 years ago?

These are all things your agent should know, questions she/he is paid to answer and help you decide what a reasonable offer should be. If not then you need a new agent!!

Old 08-20-2008, 09:24 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,485,070 times
i say you offer $268,402.33

haha, just teasin with you. i just wanted to do that!

Old 08-20-2008, 09:59 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
You lose negotiating power with a home sale contingency. You are pushing the risk of selling your home on their back. Why should they lose opportunity for something as uncertain as your ability to get sold.

If you are willing to pay them a premium, they might listen. Is your home home on the market?

Old 08-20-2008, 10:43 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Fine, here's some input for you. We don't know your market, the seller situation, the comps, or any other relevant info other than DOM. You do lose neg. ability with a contingent offer. The best advice you can get is from your buyers agent therefore I refer back to your buyer agent. If you don't have an agent my next advice is to get one. But since you so desperately want others to suggest a price I'll say you should offer

(DRUM ROLL)

$1.00!

Old 08-21-2008, 08:08 AM

472 posts, read 872,067 times
Quote:
What percentage less, is a reasonable offer for a house that has been on the market for 18 months?! House is in New York state, owners put on the market in March 2007, for $369,000 (very over priced). Current asking price is $299,000. Also, if I put in an offer it would be contingent on me selling my current house.
My first question would be... "Why is this house been on the market for 18 months?" Granted things are slow in NY, but not that slow. What part of NY are you talking about? NYC/LI, Hudson Valley, Capital District, centeral NY, Southern Tier? What are the comps in your area? How many other comps have sold in the immediate area and at what price. If you were in the NYC area at $299 I say you at or below the median price... in Buffalo... well above.

As advised above... selling with a contingency to sell yours is really offering nothing to bargin with in this market. As you can see you could be sitting for a year or longer to close. No incentive for the seller to price low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate