Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 12:28 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Home sellers in many markets already are having a difficult time unloading their property because of the country's housing slump, but some have found selling their houses more difficult because of their neighbors.

ABC News: Do Nasty Neighbors Hurt Your Home Value?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 02:38 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,546,367 times
It is a rural neighborhood. Of course their neighbors have equipment sitting in their yards. They are probably contractors, farmers, etc.

Here in Oklahoma it is not unusual to have rural areas with a mixture of properties. We frequently find a $500,000 McMansion next door to a single wide. Nobody cares. And it shoud not affect the value of the house, either.

People who look for properties in rural areas should expect this type of mixture.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:48 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
Well, I have nasty neighbors of a different sort and all I can do is hope that when we sell they're gone.. but that would take a miracle. The house is paid for, they inherited. They are trash. I'm not talking about a junky house (though that applies).. I'm talking criminal behavior. I found out AFTER we bought the house that one of the main reasons the previous owners moved is because these people were stealing from them repeatedly.. but they have some sort of connections keeping anyone from doing anything. That or just old fashioned intimidation.

I hate this because the neighbors on all sides are great. I will spend a lot of $ on security while I'm here, that's for sure.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:54 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
People who look for properties in rural areas should expect this type of mixture.

Exactly. And it's usually the McMansion that is the newcomer. As in this case, where the sellers lived in their dream home for a whole two years, I seriously doubt that the situation with the neighbors is anything new, but something that was there when they bought the place.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:34 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,645 times
When we moved into our previous neighborhood, there were pretty
good neighbors. But, one house kitty corner too us sold to a family
that had adult children(gang members) staying there. Im so glad we
were able to sell. I see now online that they are selling that house again,
so Im happy for the old hood! They didnt keep up their yard,etc. SAD.

Greenchili

Old 06-09-2008, 10:59 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,433,232 times
Someone in my office had a nice listing, but both of the houses across the street had some unregistred cars and boats. She called the city's blight control on the neighbors and sold the house.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:32 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
I have NFH (neighborsfromhell is the correct term) that are extremely noisy and early am and late night hours... and yes I suspect it will make it difficult for my property to sell. Possibly even making it impossible. There is nothing that can be done for noise problems as most find out. Many people rent their homes, giving tenants an option to buy as one way around a NFH problem.

We are hoping our noise problem moves before we do.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:53 PM

250 posts, read 992,124 times
I recommend contacting the city about nuisance properties. We have an ordinance about them where I live and if the police or city are called more than 3 times, there's a hefty fine. (police called for noise etc - city called for unkempt yards etc).

Old 06-10-2008, 03:20 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
Hmmmm let's see. They lived there for two years and their house is worth more than twice the others. I'm willing to bet it's always been worth twice the others. Age old wisdom says to buy the worst house in the neighborhood rather than the best one if you want the best appreciation. I guess the reason the neighbors house isn't as pretty is that they don't have the money for upgrades and maintenance like our poor lords and masters.

Dang us rural folk anyway, we've got a lot of gall to keep our hobbies out there where everyone can see them.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:44 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Personally I feel that Mc Mansions are ugly and bother me. I do not want to see that eyesore and those new cars in the driveway. What if I prefer to see an antique tractor in a field with cows or horses? People really need to stop this communist idea that other people's homes are unt\der their control as well. What recourse do I have against ugly Mc Mansions? What can be done about people who move in, raise my property value and taxes and force me out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate