Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2008, 11:25 PM

520 posts, read 3,921,439 times

Advertisements

Well, it has been 3 weeks now since we put our offer in on a property that was listed as a short sale and we're still waiting to hear back from the bank.

From everything I've read on this site, I knew that short sales could take up to a month if not more before you get response. That doesn't sound like a long time until *you* are the one kept waiting.

Sigh... this feels like we've been waiting forever!!

Anyone here had any luck with short sales that took less then a month to hear back from the bank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 05:15 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,654,320 times
Depending upon the lender it could be 3 months or more.

Countrywide will not look at any offers until after a home has been on the market 3 months (at least this is what one person there told me) so if you make an offer soon after something is listed you would have to wait and wait and wait.

Each lender is different and if there is no one calling the person handling it and keeping after them it could take longer.

In our MLS only 10% of the short sales will actually close the rest end up foreclosing.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:33 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,844,683 times
yes Jedi. working one right now. We heard back from the bank within 1 to 2 weeks, right after the appraisal was done (took a week for the appraisal). the bank countered to the offer(s), one has survived and is now at the MI (mortg. insurer i.e. fannie mae, freddie mac) to review and bless. It has been with them for just over a week and the bank said up to 3 weeks due to their backlog. But we call and check up on it all the time.

Find out if a) the BPO (brokers price opinion) or appraisal has been done; b) find out whether the lender has reviewed or not; c) or is it at the MI?

Also, my broker closed one about a month ago IN THREE WEEKS, START TO FINISH. I know, I was amazed!! And he had the seller.

good luck,

shelly

Old 12-07-2008, 07:12 PM

222 posts, read 878,034 times
We just put an offer in yesterday on a short sale. Hopefully it won't take 3 months. It only has one mortgage so that should help but the seller is being very private and won't give her agent authorization to contact the bank. The seller wants to do all of that herself. I hope this doesn't cause problems and that she is just being private and it isn't something else that could cause problems. I figure that we won't see too many new listings before January anyway so we might as well wait out this one for a few weeks and see how it goes. Good luck to you and wish us luck!

Old 12-07-2008, 10:34 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Default No bank involvement with agent is not a good sign ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
We just put an offer in yesterday on a short sale. Hopefully it won't take 3 months. It only has one mortgage so that should help but the seller is being very private and won't give her agent authorization to contact the bank. The seller wants to do all of that herself. I hope this doesn't cause problems and that she is just being private and it isn't something else that could cause problems. I figure that we won't see too many new listings before January anyway so we might as well wait out this one for a few weeks and see how it goes. Good luck to you and wish us luck!
Unless the seller is some kind of super insider I would not feel good about this situation. Banks make decisions about short sales based on what is the best outcome for THE BANK, not the potential buyer (you) or the upside down seller. Basically the lender needs to believe that they have gotten every last cent out of the borrower/lender that they will ever see, and that the potential buyer is the ONLY WAY to minimize the loss to the lender.

As real estate agents spend A LOT MORE TIME with the pool of buyers and sellers than pretty much any bank, it is generally helpful when the agent is working to get the complete picture communicated to the lender...

Possible that the seller has an inside line, but I would not pin my hopes on it...

Good Luck!

Old 12-10-2008, 06:40 AM

520 posts, read 3,921,439 times
Well, heard from our lawyer yesterday...

Seems like another 30 days till we hear anything back. So we wait and wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate