Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 05:40 PM

10 posts, read 32,624 times

Advertisements

We would like to sell our own home. In the past we have worked with realtors and we did not have the best experiences. Also we would like to get the most out of our home as possible. My question is in the state of PA does anyone know what I would need legally. ie: sales agreement ect... and we are could I get these forms. Also if my home is showed by a realtor/agent how do they get paid? If anyone could help me get started that would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 07:04 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,083,219 times
Sounds to me that you need the assistance of at least a discounted Broker. A discounted Broker could would get your house listed on the Multiple Listing Service so Buyer's Agents could see your listing. I would think that it would be a small price to pay in order to get more exposure to your home to unrepresented Buyer(s) and Buyer's Agents.

Obviously if there is a Buyer's Agent involved, they will have to contact you so they can show your home to their client. If I were showing your FSBO, I would make sure that you were offering a commission and if so, how much.

I would also have you sign in advance, a legal document entitled "Authorization to show unlisted property" (that's what it is entitled in Georgia). The form basically spells out what the commission structure would be and registering the potential Buyer(s).

If an offer goes under contract, I would make sure that the offer that I made on behalf of my Buyer(s) would have language included on what the commission would be and in the State of Georgia we also have a "Commission Confirmation Agreement" or instructions to the closing attorney. So that is how a Buyer's Agent would be protected and paid.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:50 PM

thanks George, I will look into a discount broker and see if that would be an option.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:38 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,791,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palor View Post
We would like to sell our own home. In the past we have worked with realtors and we did not have the best experiences. Also we would like to get the most out of our home as possible. My question is in the state of PA does anyone know what I would need legally. ie: sales agreement ect... and we are could I get these forms. Also if my home is showed by a realtor/agent how do they get paid? If anyone could help me get started that would be great!
All you really need is a RE attorney. If you go to a land title company, they'll usually have one that you can hire pretty cheaply to give you advice on the offer and what you need to do to make sure you've covered all the bases. The last one I used while selling didn't even charge me for all the pre-sale advice. The one I used the last time I wrote an offer charged about $50, and it was worth every penny.

Be very careful signing anything that an agent hands to you, and don't sign it if there's something that looks suspicious. Those forms are all written to benefit the realtors, and it may or may not be in your best interests to sign them. I put a blurb in my property flyer that I was willing to pay a 3% buyers agent commission upon closing, and when agents started handing me forms to sign, I handed them a copy of the flyer and told them it was already in writing. They weren't happy, but they showed the house anyway.

The discount broker is a good way to get your property listed on the MLS, which will help more people to see it, but don't count on that as being your only advertising. You should make up flyers on your own, and put them outside where people can get them. You should take advantage of any free advertising that you can get (such as Craigslist or local online classifieds), and if you know anybody who is good with a camera and/or photoshop, try to enlist their help to make those pictures look good. Keep churning the ads so they stay toward the top where people will see them.

If you know people who work at the local businesses, ask them if they could put a copy of your flyer on the bulletin board at work. HR people also get a lot of questions on housing when they're hiring or transferring people, so its a good idea to get a copy of your flyer into their hands too. Even if you don't know somebody there, don't be shy to walk in and hand them a copy.

Blogs are free to set up, and its a good idea to set one up to sell your house. Sometimes the online classifieds limit you to a little text and only a couple pictures, so if you can put in a link to your blog, you can show them a lot more.

The more work you put into selling, the better results you'll see. Even doing something as simple as putting together a list of how much all the bills are can give you an edge over the other houses. Buyers won't know how much it costs to heat and cool your house, and having that information at your fingertips helps to take away their worries.

In this market, do your best to stand above the realtors. They may have 40 properties, and they only have enough time to give each one an hour or two a week. You only have one property, so it shouldn't be hard at all for you to give it at least 10 hours a week.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:34 PM

517 posts, read 1,963,835 times
I agree with PP that you need a real estate attorney.

As far as marketing your house yourself check out vFlyer - Redirect

It is a website that allows you (for free) create a professional-looking web-flyer that you can post on various websites (including Craigslist). You just need basic computer skills (which you must have since you're here!!!)

Good luck!

Old 01-19-2009, 03:11 PM

WOW this is all great information! I will make notes of the different websites. Also I will call my lawyer to see if he could get me started legally. I have a list of my monthly utilities and also yearly taxes. I have noticed that the realtors in my area have cut back on thier advertising. In the past they had several pages of Sunday ads and now there has only been 2 pages. This could work in my favor.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:40 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
As for the cutting back on the Sunday ads in the paper (presumably that's what you're referring to), the only reason we've done them in our area at all is because some sellers want them, and we cut back on that on the more expensive ones a couple of years ago. Why? Because not one of us had a house sell because someone saw it in the paper - the buyers are all online these days. The cutback that you're seeing may be because the agents in your area have decided that in this economy the expense is not worth the lack of results and it's not worth throwing the money away that could better be spent on marketing with better results.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:23 PM

Well I disagree, I know several people including myself that have inquired first in the paper and then if interested looked online. Alot of my friends don't use computers...they simply have no time to go onine. Also I bought my last 2 house from adds in the paper. So not sure were your stats are from.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:50 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palor View Post
Well I disagree, I know several people including myself that have inquired first in the paper and then if interested looked online. Alot of my friends don't use computers...they simply have no time to go onine. Also I bought my last 2 house from adds in the paper. So not sure were your stats are from.
The stats are from numerous surveys from the National Association of Realtors. The last survey (2008) showed that 5% of homeowners found the house they bought in a newspaper. It's been going down every year.

The stats are real, but I also know that in some small communities the local papers are still a good source since many rural folks can only get dial-up and so internet access doesn't have the same pull.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:11 PM

10,963 posts, read 21,976,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post

In this market, do your best to stand above the realtors. They may have 40 properties, and they only have enough time to give each one an hour or two a week. You only have one property, so it shouldn't be hard at all for you to give it at least 10 hours a week.
The flaw here is that selling should be the agents full time job and it's on the market avaible for showings all day every day unless the seller says don't come by now. Unrepresented sellers typically have full time jobs and limited exposure. The home is only for sale when they are available to show it. It's not as simple as you've made it out to be. You've hit points that sound good but really hold little water when broken down. I'm not saying unrepresented sellers can't be successful because they can. I'm simply saying your philosophy is flawed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate