Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 11:20 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,955,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zas View Post
After I had my home inspection we discovered that the house need $30k worth of work,, the deck is in wrong causing the moisture to go in the basement causing mold, the electric panel and electricity wire needs to be replace, new boiler, mortar joints in brick foundation are deteriorating and need repair, asbestos in the basement, replacement of window and list goes on and on.

The reason I went with this house was because my realtor told me it was move in ready and that was what I need since I was a first-time buyer….When I first started looking for a house I was looking a fixer-upper that were in foreclosure which may realtor was dead against.

Last night talked to him and he want me to put $10k in escrow toward the repair because he said if we ask the sell to credit the $30k the deal will go south…So I told him then I want to walk……OMG!!!!!!!!! He went into how this house was perfect for me and he know I have the money for repairs because I was willing to pay $15k for repairs on a foreclosure so why not put the $10k into this house.

The house he was talking about is now on the market again so I told to put an offer on that…My question is how I can tell if he really put the offering in…When I call the listing agency, he says he can’t talk to me I have to talk to my realtor???????????
You have a few issues going on here, so I'll try to address them individually.

First, you seem to be saying that the real estate agent somehome convinced youto buy this house, telling you it was in ove in condition. Did you go visit the house? Look at it yourself? Did you miss those issues that are now coming up in the inspection? If you missed them, why did you expect yoru real estate agent to see them? We don't have a built in level to see a slightly skewed deck installation (which, by the way, sounds wrong to me. A deck is usually going to be wood, which will allow water to flow throuh it to the ground underneath, and will likely not create a water penetration issue. If the ground under the deck is pitched improperly, that might lead to water penetration of the house, and certainly wouldn't be seen from above the deck) any more than you do. Did you decide to buy this house, or did yru real estate agent make that decision for you?
As to the repair costs. Why would your agent want YOU to put money in escrow for repairs? Perhaps you meant that he ius suggesting that the SELLER put that money into escrow for repaiirs, instead of making the actual repairs? If your agent wants you to put your money into an escrow for repairs, well, unless you guys do things very differently wheever you are then we do here in NJ, you should demand serious explanation.
How do you know if he is putting in your offer? Wow. This is a simple thing, and if you can't be sure of it, I sugges you & your agent have some trust & credibility issues going on, and you will never get a deal done properly. If that's the relationship you have, you need to end it. No one will be served by trying to do this transaction under those conditions. Get rid of him and find an agent who you feel you ccan trust. No offense, but if you feel that way about him, I'm guessing he doesn't have the best of feelings about you & the things you want either, so he likely won't be upset to see you walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 11:36 AM
zas zas started this thread

95 posts, read 283,661 times
Did you go visit the house? Yes
Look at it yourself? Yes
Did you miss those issues that are now coming up in the inspection?
Yes

If you missed them, why did you expect yoru real estate agent to see them?
I did not expect my realtor to see them, the issue I have is he was tell me not go with a fixer-upper because I was a first-time buyer but now that this house is turning into a fixer-upper he wants me to deal with it...

We don't have a built in level to see a slightly skewed deck installation (which, by the way, sounds wrong to me. A deck is usually going to be wood, which will allow water to flow throuh it to the ground underneath, and will likely not create a water penetration issue.

If the ground under the deck is pitched improperly, that might lead to water penetration of the house, and certainly wouldn't be seen from above the deck) any more than you do.

The deck is concrete with wood underneath..

Did you decide to buy this house, or did yru real estate agent make that decision for you?
He talk me into it with all the positive like the updates and the owner being a handyman everything looked perfected...

As to the repair costs. Why would your agent want YOU to put money in escrow for repairs? Perhaps you meant that he ius suggesting that the SELLER put that money into escrow for repaiirs, instead of making the actual repairs?
No, he wants me to put $10k and the seller $30k for reports because the loan I need now would be a rehab-loan...

If your agent wants you to put your money into an escrow for repairs, well, unless you guys do things very differently wheever you are then we do here in NJ, you should demand serious explanation.
I am in NJ

Old 03-13-2009, 12:38 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,440,081 times
Sounds like this isn't the house for you. Several things are wrong, and other things may pop up in the future.

Your comment about the seller being a handyman is a red flag for me. Did he build the deck? If not, he may have done other work in the house improperly.

Perhaps this is a gift. Be glad these issues were caught pre-closing.

I'd get out of this deal and move on. The Realtor sounds like someone who is trying to talk you into something that is not in your best interest b/c he wants a sale. If yiou can't trust him, don't work with him. Dump him. I'm sure there are other good Realtors out there who will listen to what you want.

But make sure you know what YOU want and stick to it. If you want a fixer-upper, go for it. The caution that your Realtor gave you was a reasonable one. But there's nothing wrong with having a fixer-upper for your first home if you want that.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:48 PM

749 posts, read 1,791,539 times
I would run away from this house AND run away from your Realtor.........

Old 03-13-2009, 03:19 PM

15,597 posts, read 40,501,398 times
It sounds like you were looking at fixers, but your agent expressed concern about you buying a fixer as you have never owned a home before. Personally, I get that concern for you...

So there was a house that you wanted, but your agent talked you out of it because it needed too much work? So you made an offer on a house that seemed like it didn't need work, but it turns out it really does...

So...you are upset that your agent is suggesting that you try and make this deal work because you want to terminate this deal and make an offer on the original fixer that you liked?

You just sound like you and your agent aren't communicating well. I think you need to either sit down and hash things out with him, or move onto another agent. You should never question whether or not your agent is submitting an offer for you.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:52 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,904,835 times
Quote:
I am in NJ
which is an attorney state, I believe. Listen to your attorney. Don't get involved in something you aren't comfortable with, at all, for any reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate