Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 10:08 PM

391 posts, read 1,708,342 times

Advertisements

This is is a weird question. I am selling my home and going back to apartment living. I think the home will be listed next week. I've never sold a home before but I know standard practice is for the seller to vacate the home at or before closing. I'm wondering how to time moving into an apartment properly. I'd hate to have nowhere to go when the home closes. At the same time I don't want to move into an apartment and then the closing falls through for some reason. So who has been through this before. I was wondering do I sign up for an apartment once a contract is put on the house? It takes at least 30 days to go to closing right and I'd think that long for an apartment to become available. Then I guess hopefully I'd be able to move in and not lose my deposit in between the contract time and closing time. What if I move in before closing and the closing falls through. Is there any recourse for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 02:22 AM

960 posts, read 1,162,321 times
My strategy was to find a new rental house just before the closing date. I gave the movers a week notice, and found a place about 4 days before closing. After I moved (the day before closing) the closing got delayed by a buyers' funding glitch but thankfully went through. Because I didn't have much time to look for a new place, I leased a house that was offered month-to-month (because it was for sale) and once I got there I started looking for a more permanent place to live for a few years. The whole process incl. moving twice sucked, and one month I paid rent on two houses, but I like the new place a lot so it was worth it in the end.

I would think it would be easier to find an apartment since you can pick a few complexes early and make sure they have some units available. Yes, if the closing fails you could end up with both a house and a lease. In that case you're responsible for the rent through the end of the lease or until the unit is re-rented, whichever comes first. You could offer the complex extra $$ per month to get the shortest possible lease. If the closing fails, you could put an ad on craigslist offering the remainder of the lease for $100 or whatever less per month.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:25 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,464,245 times
Please be very careful.

We rented a place from a man who signed a lease on an apartment because his realtor told him to and then the deal fell through. His lease started in July. We didn't begin subletting from him until February.

A few months into it, we realized he had sweetened the pot and was still paying 1/3 of the rent himself. He was desperate to rent the place and had put up his own money to bring the total rent down. As much as it wasn't a "good" deal for him, I think he was grateful we came along when we did.

It's too easy for a deal to fall through these days.

If I were you, I'd plan on moving my furniture into storage. That way, you don't have to sign any big commitment and if things fall through, you're out next to nothing because if the deal falls through, you call the storage facility and tell them you won't need that locker after all. No biggie.

If the buyer closes, great. You have a couple of options. If you know where you want to go and they have a unit available, you can still sign that lease at the last second and get your stuff into the apartment (maybe ask the buyer to give you an extra week-- you pay them rent). If you don't have a place lined up, you can live month-to-month on minimal furnishings and garage sale specials for a bit while till you find something you like.

Good luck!

Old 03-20-2009, 03:41 PM

960 posts, read 1,162,321 times
I looked into month-to-month apartments, but for studios they were a lot more $$$ than the month-to-month house I found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate