Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:41 AM

42 posts, read 119,981 times

Advertisements

Lol! This is a good one. Tried just for 2 months to sell myself FSBO and gave up. Not because I didn't get offers but I got offers from delusional buyers who though their offer price was "justified" and tried to educate me as such. HA! Had one buyer show me her 2 comps which sold for $100,000 less than my list price. YEs, the houses were similar in #BR,#bathrooms, age, and sq footage BUT NOT in location! HEr comps were in town. My house is 3/4 of a mile from the Atlantic Ocean here in southern RI outside of town with a complete ocean view on a hill. Did she not take that into consideration? I wonder why?
I then showed her a house with the same sq. footage as mine, same #BR, same #baths, and age within 5 years. Guess what? That house sold last month for $1.2 million and it was not a McMansion....2 BR, 2 Baths, 15,000sq feet , and 50 years old RIGHT ON THE BEACH. The back door opens to a huge porch with sweeping views of the Atantic Ocean. Step off the porch and you are on the beach!
My point is LOCATION DOES MATTER! And don't let anyone tell you it doesn't. BTW I just listed (last week) with one of the most successful brokers in my town and she just called me today with 2 offers , one at 90% of my asking price, the other at 87% of asking price. And you know the funny part? One of the offers is from the same woman buyer who I just dealt with 3 weeks ago!!! And her latest offer is $70,000 more than what she offered before! LOL! Oh well she tried!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 11:48 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,259 times
You got that right.

What I love is the delusional buyers who use distressed sales as comps.
I'm going to sell you my well maintained home for the same price as the foreclosed home 2 miles away in a totally different neighborhood...well...because, since that's the last sale, it MUSt be a comp, right?

Yeah freaking right.

Why don't buyers just go buy the shortsales and foreclosures and leave the resale market alone if they are sooo worried about getting the steal of a deal and having to take the risk of the declining market?

(BTW, I'm neither buyer nor seller)

Old 03-30-2009, 12:01 PM

503 posts, read 1,454,575 times
Ocean view? Nice! Yes, very delusional.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:10 PM

945 posts, read 1,987,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGeek View Post
You got that right.

I'm going to sell you my well maintained home for the same price as the foreclosed home 2 miles away in a totally different neighborhood...well...because, since that's the last sale, it MUSt be a comp, right?

Yeah freaking right.

Why don't buyers just go buy the shortsales and foreclosures and leave the resale market alone if they are sooo worried about getting the steal of a deal and having to take the risk of the declining market?

Bingo! And did you read MAM's post on the sellers tellling lowballers to.......?

She thinks because one home has fallen to foreclosure low in a neighborhood, it sets the new ceiling for the rest. What's scary is that she is a real estate "consultant". It's interesting how some in the profession allow this delusional behavior from the buyers! It's like their all running scared and giving in to all of this BS, otherwise, thery are affraid NOTHING will sell. Man, I can't WAIT to talk about this in a few years. OR better yet, in 10 years, when we're all making a killing again on our homes we own right now! I'll put certain posters' names in the "time capsule" and we'll see what they have to say then. My guess is, they won't be around to eat crow. And they probably never bought either. They'll be wrapping themselves in bandages made of case schiller index reports from 2008, 2009 and internet links from RE analyists that said we're all doomed, and the paper will be all yellow with age.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:28 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlucky110 View Post
Lol! This is a good one. Tried just for 2 months to sell myself FSBO and gave up. Not because I didn't get offers but I got offers from delusional buyers who though their offer price was "justified" and tried to educate me as such. HA! Had one buyer show me her 2 comps which sold for $100,000 less than my list price. YEs, the houses were similar in #BR,#bathrooms, age, and sq footage BUT NOT in location! HEr comps were in town. My house is 3/4 of a mile from the Atlantic Ocean here in southern RI outside of town with a complete ocean view on a hill. Did she not take that into consideration? I wonder why?
I then showed her a house with the same sq. footage as mine, same #BR, same #baths, and age within 5 years. Guess what? That house sold last month for $1.2 million and it was not a McMansion....2 BR, 2 Baths, 15,000sq feet , and 50 years old RIGHT ON THE BEACH. The back door opens to a huge porch with sweeping views of the Atantic Ocean. Step off the porch and you are on the beach!
My point is LOCATION DOES MATTER! And don't let anyone tell you it doesn't. BTW I just listed (last week) with one of the most successful brokers in my town and she just called me today with 2 offers , one at 90% of my asking price, the other at 87% of asking price. And you know the funny part? One of the offers is from the same woman buyer who I just dealt with 3 weeks ago!!! And her latest offer is $70,000 more than what she offered before! LOL! Oh well she tried!

Delusional? well that is still debatable on both parties. even in todays market in most parts of the US a house will still sell if it is priced right.....
I dont think I would be bragging about obtaining an offer that was 10% and 13% less than my asking price.....If the house is priced right it should sell for either the asking price maybe 2-4% less.......Not debating your issue just saying well......you know

Old 03-30-2009, 02:29 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,216 times
Quote:
You got that right.

Yeah freaking right.

I think you'll find that, in reality, there are actually relatively few buyers picking up well maintained houses in great neighborhoods for the same price as trashed foreclosures in the crappy parts of town.

The point is that there are now well maintained houses in good neighborhoods going into foreclosure.

Sure, these will sell for more than the stereotypical foreclosed "dump in the s*itty part of town with the kitchen ripped out, holes in the walls and graffiti all over the front porch".

But generally they are selling for less than a non-foreclosure in the same subdivision.

These are the properties that are really impacting prices in the the "good" neighborhoods.

Not everyone that goes into foreclosure trashes their house before they leave.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:31 PM

764 posts, read 1,597,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlucky110 View Post
Did you counter back with the 'delusional' buyer? Now that you are paying a RE commission, how much 'better' off will you actually be?

Old 03-30-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
I think you'll find that, in reality, there are actually relatively few buyers picking up well maintained houses in great neighborhoods for the same price as trashed foreclosures in the crappy parts of town.

The point is that there are now well maintained houses in good neighborhoods going into foreclosure.

Sure, these will sell for more than the stereotypical foreclosed "dump in the s*itty part of town with the kitchen ripped out, holes in the walls and graffiti all over the front porch".

But generally they are selling for less than a non-foreclosure in the same subdivision.

These are the properties that are really impacting prices in the the "good" neighborhoods.

Not everyone that goes into foreclosure trashes their house before they leave.

Doesn't matter, LondonGirl. Foreclosures, even in GREAT shape, are still considered DISTRESSED sales. Therefore, if no more than 25% of the SOLD comps in a given neighborhood are foreclosures or shorts, they should be excluded from the true comps for appraisal value.

I'm sorry if that doesn't fit your idea of a comp, but it is what it is.

Now if you want to argue that appraisal value does not equal market value, we need to start a new thread.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:48 PM

764 posts, read 1,597,903 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter, LondonGirl. Foreclosures, even in GREAT shape, are still considered DISTRESSED sales. Therefore, if no more than 25% of the SOLD comps in a given neighborhood are foreclosures or shorts, they should be excluded from the true comps for appraisal value.

I'm sorry if that doesn't fit your idea of a comp, but it is what it is.

Now if you want to argue that appraisal value does not equal market value, we need to start a new thread.
I don't remember where I read/heard this but supposedly if just one house forecloses within a 1/4 mile radius, it drags down the value of similar homes by 14-16%.

Does this sound plausible?

Old 03-30-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat2MT View Post
I don't remember where I read/heard this but supposedly if just one house forecloses within a 1/4 mile radius, it drags down the value of similar homes by 14-16%.

Does this sound plausible?

No, it's not. You heard wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate