Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 02:38 PM

632 posts, read 1,844,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
.....the task you have to weigh is NOT starting at $327K, (which is a no-mans land IMO...) really whether you want to start at like $349K or $324K. ......
I would want some HARD DETAILS on those sales that happened 10 days after listing -- if those houses are similar to ours that is the price range I would want to be in!
Why is $327 considered no-man's land?

House across the street and over one sold in 10 days. Listed at $299k, sold at $295k. MUCH smaller house (poor floorplan), and lot, not lake front (the private lake lots are the premium ones in the neighborhood). House slightly across the lake from us....much smaller home, smaller lot (but small portion of lake) listed at $315 and sold at $310 within a month or not quite two. So, no, they're not similar, BUT, I figure we'd not be less than the one that sold at $310 for sure.

Ah, a crystal ball is what I need :-)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 03:20 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
There are definite patterns that are 'searched' via MLS and online sites. Some MLS systems will report how many searches are performed in a price category and THAT is what I use to determine what is a "no mans land".

I suspect, based on the quick sale of the $315 house that your agent very much wants you to attract the same kind of buyer. You might want to sit down with her and run the searches to see EXACTLY what your competition would be before you enter your listing. If it turns out that you compare favorably with houses under $350 on the day you enter that might be a good range.

If your home's features and appearance blow away the competition at $324 you might still want to list there, if you and your agent want to attract the most buyers.

If your region's MLS can spit out stats on who was searching in what range AND there are folks using $330 as a 'ceiling' then by all mean go for it!

Good Luck!

Old 05-13-2009, 04:25 PM

632 posts, read 1,844,903 times
Thank you, Chet, for the explanation....makes sense to me now. I shall research further.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:52 PM

637 posts, read 3,237,273 times
Quote:
Bottom line:
Quote:

One real estate agent wants to capture anything UNDER $350K, the other is looking to capture anything UNDER $325K --- the task you have to weigh is NOT starting at $327K, (which is a no-mans land IMO...) really whether you want to start at like $349K or $324K. $25K sound like a lot of money, and it is, but if only a difference of about 7% over $324, the real tension will come if you get a 90% offer (which is NOT uncommon at all in places right now...) and facing a $291K sale vs $314K, which might make the lower starting price REALLY sting...

I would want some HARD DETAILS on those sales that happened 10 days after listing -- if those houses are similar to ours that is the price range I would want to be in!

Bottom line; one realtor is more than likely giving a realistic/honest opinion of the value of the property, and the other one is just trying to win a listing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate