Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 12:38 PM

4 posts, read 14,032 times

Advertisements

My husband and I found a house in Suffolk county that we would like to place an offer on. My husband is a veteran and so we qualify for a VA lon with NO money down.

Our realtor is telling us that even though we qualify for VA with no money that we still have to put at minimum $5,000 down or come up with all the closing cost upfront. She is telling us that no one not a seller or an attorney will let us enter into contract because we are considered a risk.

We are first time home buyers and I just want to know if anyone can shed more light on this information we have received.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 04:16 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,517,443 times
This does seem right. I recently applied for a VA loan for a refi. The upfront costs were staggering...something like 12K!! It is really the fees and points that you are paying. The VA loans are pretty pricey.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:47 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,898,986 times
Why can't you present an offer with seller concessions paying your closing costs? VA Loan Mortgage Closing Costs for Veterans
I have had two VA loans close in the last 6 months with absolutely nothing out of pocket for the buyer.
You do have to have an escrow deposit...perhaps that is what your Realtor® is talking about? You would get that back at closing. You can also utilize the first time homebuyer credit...if banks are really now allowing that...they were supposed to be but weren't, don't know if that system is fully in place yet. You might want to post this in the mortgage forum as there are people in there up on the lastest information.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:31 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
There are some sellers that don't want to handle VA loans, but VA allows the seller to pay up to 6% towards closing costs and fees on the loan.

I have seen sellers not willing to pay any closing costs or deal with VA loans because they can be more difficult, and I have had sellers GLAD to pay those fees because they appreciate our military.

In my area, I would have little trouble getting a home for someone with a VA loan. Maybe LI is different?

Old 06-22-2009, 09:05 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
[quote=palmcoasting;9404912]

I have had two VA loans close in the last 6 months with absolutely nothing out of pocket for the buyer. /quote]

Escrow monies?
Home Inspection?
Pest Inspection?
Radon Inspection?
Insurance Binder?
Property tax escrow?
Attorney Fee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate