Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:43 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,157,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane112358 View Post
A) I viewed the house by contacting the seller's agent.
B) I did some comps by looking at real estate value estimate sites like Zillow et. al. (which, yes, are notoriously "off) and HAR. I do a few of my own calculations on the stats of the neighborhood and comparable houses within a few blocks that are listed or have sold recently. I start my offer near the bottom of that range and see what I can get. Pretty easy, really.

Also, I know what the house that I may write an offer on sold for last time in 2001 - I believe that was listed on Zillow as well.
It may be "Pretty easy" but it is also pretty inaccurate. Sounds like you may need some help from someone who has access to true comps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 08:55 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,157,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijk keo View Post
That is right. if your agent is charging you, that is not right. they get paid by the seller.
This is not necessarily true. Depending on the state you are doing a transaction and and whether or not you have a contract with your buyer agent, the buyer may be responsible for a part or all of the commission agreed to in the contract if the commission is not paid by the listing agency. In approximately 95% of my buyer client transactions the seller agency pays the full commission for which I have contracted to work. In the other 5%, where the listing agency does not pay my agreed upon commission, the buyer is responsible for any shortfall. BTW, if the listing agency commission pays more than my agreed upon commission(and this includes any bonus offerred to the buyer agent) then my buyer will get anything over what the buyer and I agreed to, either through a corresponding reduced purchase price or a corresponding rebate from me.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:58 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,047,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txgal33 View Post
You can view a house without your own Realtor. All you have to do is call and set up an appointment and most times the sellers agent tries to get to the point where they can represent both parties if you do not have your own. You see it all the time on HGTV.
As for Running Comps all you have to do is your home work. You can still find sights out there that will provide you with that info that are not based out of Tx or that do not generally deal with Tx real estate. Then there are those sights that have glitches that are not fixed and all you need to do is remember how you got to the comps and you can always get back. Every now and then you can get to comps on HAR. It really is not brain surgery just takes some time.
Well this is just a hoot and gave me a much needed chuckle tonight! Thanks A typical RE transaction is just like HGTV - in my wildest dreams is it that easy LOL (& yes, I did previously practice in the States). While, yes, a buyer can deal directly with a LA, though most likely would be a customer of the LA (unless transaction brokerage is permitted to provide for certain confidentiality matters and no agency relationship to either party). If the buyer is a 'customer' then consequently the LA has an obligation to the seller not the buyer other than basic ethics (which does NOT include confidentiality - everything a buyer/customer tells a LA gets transmitted right back to the seller, because the agency relationship is between the LA and seller).

And you're right - while it's not brain surgery, it's a heck of a lot more work than your post seems to come across - especially for someone with no experience buying in the state in question. Good way to end up on the short end of the stick. Let's see, there's getting 'true' comps, negotiating the offer, dealing with inspection and issues that come with it, reviewing contracts (that are state specific), dealing with financing issues (and lenders are just real gems to deal with), then actually get through closing. Just a piece of cake

OP don't want to use an agent? Then at least retain a RE attorney to make sure your best interests are protected (i.e., the sales contract). List price means absolutely nothing - only recent, within the last 2-3 months are worth anything when running comps and depending on the area in question, the best and most accurate comps could be what sold in the last month. The purchase price from 2001 is worthless so just throw that bad boy away.

The listing commission is negotiated between the seller and the LA. The LA may or may NOT rebate or reduce commissions - who knows how much time and $$ the LA has put in on the listing, so they very well might knock a percent or two off commission or they may not. So bottom line IMO is to at least retain a RE attorney to handle the contract end (knows the state specific RE laws) to make sure your bases are covered OR pull in an agent to get you current comps and through the entire process including closing. And, of course, this is your decision to make and JMO. Good luck.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:15 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,926 times
I actually like Zillow. I think it's a fun site that can give you a feel for an area. But would I ever base a real estate transaction, use it for comps, or put any money on the line based on it? NO. It would be crazy.

I have no idea why you wouldn't want to use a buyer's agent. It's never a bad bargain to have someone in your corner. When I've served as a buyer's agent, I have saved my clients thosands of dollars in potential trouble. I know my area so well that it's a snap for me to determine if permits are in order, what is common to this area; local CIC docs, disclosures correct, etc. I know what vendors to call in this market. There's more than a sale price to consider.

Nevertheless, you are welcome to go it alone. But the listing contract is between the listing office and the seller. If I were your buyer's agent I'd advise you to consider your bottom line - what you will pay. Don't worry about what other's are paying. If you want to "knock off 3%" - do it. Determine what you are willing to pay and make an offer.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:02 PM

17,428 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post
I actually like Zillow. I think it's a fun site that can give you a feel for an area. But would I ever base a real estate transaction, use it for comps, or put any money on the line based on it? NO. It would be crazy.

I swear, I think I'm making it a point lately to go completely off the original topic BUT ... Zillow has never been anywhere close to accurate for any of my personal properties.

We have a piece of property in Illinois - Zillow shows that it previously sold 3 years ago (it hasn't been sold in 20 years), the square footage is 3,000 square feet off (yes, I said THREE THOUSAND) and shorts the value by, well, let's just say A LOT.

And that's typical of Zillow vs. most of our properties. It's comical.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:41 PM

7 posts, read 12,888 times
redfin has some fairly accurate sold comps. I use them and if it's something I find I'm interested in I'll have an agent send me some comps from the MLS and they are usually very close if not exact same.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:40 AM

80 posts, read 146,512 times
Why pay a lawyer an hourly rate when a realtor is commissioned based? I wouldn't use the listing realtor because she is already representing the seller. Buyer representation is at no cost to you because the seller and listing realtor negotiated real estate fees whether a buyer has representation or not. I find I do more work when the other party is not represented and would prefer the other side had a professional helping them. I really want everyone to be protected and well informed throughout the process. If you would with a good realtor, you'll be happy.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:17 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericathynes View Post
Why pay a lawyer an hourly rate when a realtor is commissioned based? I wouldn't use the listing realtor because she is already representing the seller. Buyer representation is at no cost to you because the seller and listing realtor negotiated real estate fees whether a buyer has representation or not. I find I do more work when the other party is not represented and would prefer the other side had a professional helping them. I really want everyone to be protected and well informed throughout the process. If you would with a good realtor, you'll be happy.
a) paying lawyer hourly will be way cheaper at the end and you will get professional legal representation!
b) listing agent is more interested in the deal to go through because he/she is getting paid (and in most case more). They will tip both buyers and sellers regarding whatever it takes to close the deal
c) who is paying to "no cost to you buyers agent"? seller. Where these money are coming from? Buyers. So, who is in fact paying buyers agent? Buyer
d) buyers agent will not be looking for buyers best interests. they only cares about this deal to go through. they will not share potentially negative info with you in fear to kill the deal. they will recommend their hand fed home inspector who will not kill the deal either.
So, working with listing vs buyers agent is pretty much the same - they both don't give a crap about your as a buyers and want to close the deal. It's simple - it's their bread. They are not getting paid until you close!

Real life stories - listing agents are willing to negotiate their fees if you are coming through them. Been there done that. Professional help from their end is equal to zero - you are not asking then to show you different parts of the town with 100 houses or comps - you are simply asking to submit your offer.

I am ready for a new dose of realtor's hate. Bring it in!

Old 12-15-2014, 11:49 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
a) paying lawyer hourly will be way cheaper at the end and you will get professional legal representation!
b) listing agent is more interested in the deal to go through because he/she is getting paid (and in most case more). They will tip both buyers and sellers regarding whatever it takes to close the deal
c) who is paying to "no cost to you buyers agent"? seller. Where these money are coming from? Buyers. So, who is in fact paying buyers agent? Buyer
d) buyers agent will not be looking for buyers best interests. they only cares about this deal to go through. they will not share potentially negative info with you in fear to kill the deal. they will recommend their hand fed home inspector who will not kill the deal either.
So, working with listing vs buyers agent is pretty much the same - they both don't give a crap about your as a buyers and want to close the deal. It's simple - it's their bread. They are not getting paid until you close!

Real life stories - listing agents are willing to negotiate their fees if you are coming through them. Been there done that. Professional help from their end is equal to zero - you are not asking then to show you different parts of the town with 100 houses or comps - you are simply asking to submit your offer.

I am ready for a new dose of realtor's hate. Bring it in!
I think you thrive on the "hate" and the attention. You basically beg for it, making ridiculous blanket statements that are incorrect for the vast majority of people. Most of us that reply to your drivel don't hate you at all. We just want to be sure that the people reading what you post aren't fooled into believing that it's indicative of actual reality.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:37 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane112358 View Post
B) I did some comps by looking at real estate value estimate sites like Zillow et. al. (which, yes, are notoriously "off) and HAR. I do a few of my own calculations on the stats of the neighborhood and comparable houses within a few blocks that are listed or have sold recently. I start my offer near the bottom of that range and see what I can get. Pretty easy, really.

Also, I know what the house that I may write an offer on sold for last time in 2001 - I believe that was listed on Zillow as well.
You're funny. You actually think Zillow has "sales" prices. That's cute. Texas is a NON-DISCLOSURE state, which was mentioned above. That means you cannot find sales prices on any public website. Zillow is not a broker, hence, Zillow does NOT have sales prices.

To answer your main question, yes, you could have an attorney draw up your offer, but you still won't get the commission unless the attorney is licensed as a real estate agent and willing to give you a rebate. Non real estate licensed attorneys are treated like any other buyer coming in without a license and they are not entitled to any commission.

Also, if you work with an attorney who wants to create his own contract, you're now putting the listing agent and seller in a position to decline your offer as real estate agents are not allowed to discuss contracts/offers that are not the TREC promolgated forms, as those are the forms we're educated on. An agent cannot give an interpretation of an offer he's never seen before. That would make the seller have to spend money to obtain an attorney to have it explained, and that's doubtful the seller would want to spend that money as he's already paying the listing agent/broker.

Texas is different from other states. Good luck if you want to come here and try to do things against the "norm".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate