Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2009, 12:10 PM

6 posts, read 5,723 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to New York very soon and would like as much information as possible. I will be working in the city of Tappan, NY located in Rockland County, NY.
I am single, 30 something from the midwest and never traveled north. My main concern is finding an affordable inexpensive decent apartment. I would like to live as close to New York City as possible without having a long commute to work. I want to experience the shopping, shows, food, clubs, excitement and everything good the city has to offer on a budget. Need to know the areas that would best fulfill my wish list and please provide as many links as possible. Is a car necessary?
Thanks in advance to anyone responding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 12:20 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,671,730 times
You might get more replies if you post this in the NY forum.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:30 PM

6 posts, read 5,723 times
thanks
b

Old 08-29-2009, 12:33 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,671,730 times
Although I think I read in the TOS here that you can't cross post? Anyway, good luck!

Old 08-29-2009, 12:43 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Having spent more than a bit of time in White Plains NY (which is near to Tappan) you may be in for a surprise as to how suburban / historic- rural that part of the state is...

Old 08-29-2009, 01:23 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
I used to work with people who commuted from Rockland Cty to lower Manhattan. Some took a bus, while other bused or drove to Tarrytown and caught the train. One guy drove to the bus, took the bus, then a subway or ferry. Their daily commute was about 1.5 hours, each way, on a good day.

Affordable is a relative term. The closer to NYC ( unless a slum) is outside the definition of affordable for many people.

The cost of communing is also a factor to be acknowledged.

Most people who work in Rockland live in Rockland, because it's more affordable and a faster commute.

Shopping in NJ is often substantially more affordable than NYC.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:21 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I used to work with people who commuted from Rockland Cty to lower Manhattan. Some took a bus, while other bused or drove to Tarrytown and caught the train. One guy drove to the bus, took the bus, then a subway or ferry. Their daily commute was about 1.5 hours, each way, on a good day.

Affordable is a relative term. The closer to NYC ( unless a slum) is outside the definition of affordable for many people.

The cost of communing is also a factor to be acknowledged.

Most people who work in Rockland live in Rockland, because it's more affordable and a faster commute.

Shopping in NJ is often substantially more affordable than NYC.
Rockland County has some nice areas and some trashy areas. Coming from the midwest, you should be prepared for sticker shock in housing prices. Rockland County is within the range for commuting to NYC so housing is in demand. Still, many of the towns are nice, lots of trees, and it IS bordered by that most magnificent river.

And yes, shopping in NJ is more affordable than NY. For one thing, the sales tax is lower. In NYC it is 8.75% plus costs are higher due to the exhorbitant lease prices in the city. People come to NJ to shop at the malls, and in NJ's urban areas, the sales tax is only 3%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate