Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 06:03 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times

Advertisements

I had a situation happen before where the buyer was calling and harassing the seller during negotiations. I wasn't aware of it until she told me she wanted him to stop calling. In my case the buyer was trying to talk her into selling her living room furniture and plasma tv at no cost. It was crazy.

One call to the buyer agent took care of it. The buyer agent was aware of the phone calls. The seller was listed in this case so they didn't get the phone number from the buyer agent though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 01:14 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,413 times
Just adding to the other suggestions, document when this guy calls and what the content of the calls were, whether he sounded agitated or not, etc. You can't record the calls because California is a two party consent state. But in a court proceeding, you can have his phone records pulled and then match them up with your records as proof of the harrassment. People who actually practice law might provide further clarification on this.

Nonetheless, it amazes me sometimes what is out there. What is wrong with this guy? Not having that house will ruin his life? Dude needs therapy.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:28 PM

17,428 posts, read 14,650,567 times
I've had something similar happen twice -

In one case, it was the loosing buyers who showed up crying and hysterical at the door of the sellers begging them to reconsider. It was crazy. Even the agent called me crying herself begging me to have the sellers go to highest and best one more time. It was nuts.

The second was just the agent who turned into the world's biggest beeyotch when her client's offer wasn't selected.

It blows my mind that agent's don't prep their buyers when going into a multiple offer situation.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:01 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
Just adding to the other suggestions, document when this guy calls and what the content of the calls were, whether he sounded agitated or not, etc. You can't record the calls because California is a two party consent state. But in a court proceeding, you can have his phone records pulled and then match them up with your records as proof of the harrassment. People who actually practice law might provide further clarification on this.
To add to this, in some states like TX one side can record the conversation without the consent of the other party. Hopefully you'll never need to do this.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:53 PM

280 posts, read 1,042,100 times
Do losing buyers generally know the bid of the winners?

In my case I was just told I was outbid but no numbers were shared with me in the "under contract" stage--I guess after closing I could have looked it up.

Unless sellers/sellers' agents are required to disclose that, it seems like that info, that their bid was actually higher, is just stirring the pot without helping anyone.

Could their agent be overstepping bounds? Sorry you have to deal with this.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:12 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,157,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novahousehunter View Post
Do losing buyers generally know the bid of the winners?

In my case I was just told I was outbid but no numbers were shared with me in the "under contract" stage--I guess after closing I could have looked it up.

Unless sellers/sellers' agents are required to disclose that, it seems like that info, that their bid was actually higher, is just stirring the pot without helping anyone.

Could their agent be overstepping bounds? Sorry you have to deal with this.
Being outbid does not necessarily refer to just the offer price. It includes other offer factors such as proposed closing date, type of financing, all cash offers, financial quality of the buyers, type of contingencies, etc. All of these factors need to be weighed for a seller to make a determination as to what they think is the "best bid"

Old 09-12-2009, 05:19 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
Being outbid does not necessarily refer to just the offer price. It includes other offer factors such as proposed closing date, type of financing, all cash offers, financial quality of the buyers, type of contingencies, etc. All of these factors need to be weighed for a seller to make a determination as to what they think is the "best bid"
I think he means how does the buyer know he was the highest bid?

Old 09-12-2009, 05:21 PM

280 posts, read 1,042,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
Totally understand. I just mean, does the losing bidder typically know the amount of the winning bid?

When I was the losing bid, all I was told was that I had lost (no detail about the winning contract, which as you point out could have been a lower price). I guess I'm just surprised that the losing bidder ended up with this information, was wondering if that was typical?

Old 09-12-2009, 05:28 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,157,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novahousehunter View Post
Totally understand. I just mean, does the losing bidder typically know the amount of the winning bid?

When I was the losing bid, all I was told was that I had lost (no detail about the winning contract, which as you point out could have been a lower price). I guess I'm just surprised that the losing bidder ended up with this information, was wondering if that was typical?
Fairly typical. There is no obligation to inform the losing bid what the winning bid was. You can generally find out(except in some states) what price the house went for with the winning bid when the price is recorded, however, you won't necessarily know the details of the bid that won.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:23 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Let the agents work this out. You do not want to alienate this nut job, in case your contract does not work out.

Just curious...how did the buyer gain access to your husband's unpublished cell phone number?
That's good advice. I would have been so creeped out by the nutjob that I likely would have alienated him. A nutjob buyer is still a buyer.
But can you say stalker? That must be some house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate