Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 01:05 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,614 times

Advertisements

So, after reading many of these posts anyone with any common sense or bad experiences in buying a home would come to the conclusion that honest, hard working Real Estate Agents are pretty tough to find and that most agents are considered a joke even w/in their own industry. So, where does a person look to find one? Being Professionals, if any of you would need an Agent where would you look, how would you interview them, what questions would you ask, what and where would you research? This is a very serious question hoping for serious and informational feedback.
Koale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 01:13 PM

470 posts, read 1,501,620 times
The first thought is that going in with that attitude, you will have a hard time finding one that you will want to work with, regardless of how honest and hardworking an agent is.

The second thought is that most people with common sense actually do find an agent.

The third thought is that most agents are honest and hard working, especially in today's market.

What you are looking for is one that is honest, hard working, and knows what he/she is doing.

You can look on C-D for agents in your area (Hawaii? Which part). You can look on sites like Active Rain and see what the agents are like. Regardless, you should interview and find the one that you feel you could work with, and, this is important, can work with you.

Other than that, there are dozens of posts here and elsewhere on questions to ask a listing agent.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:18 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,584,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
So, after reading many of these posts anyone with any common sense or bad experiences in buying a home would come to the conclusion that honest, hard working Real Estate Agents are pretty tough to find and that most agents are considered a joke even w/in their own industry. ...
Or could it be that people with bad experiences are more likely to post about it than those with good experiences?

Last edited by rjrcm; 02-22-2011 at 02:47 PM..

Old 02-22-2011, 02:09 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Aren't you in HI ? I'd start with Kona Kat. If she's not on your island I'd bet she could recommend a good agent.

Recommendations from friends & family is a great place to start.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:30 PM

15,580 posts, read 40,450,935 times
Are you looking for a buyer agent or listing agent? I'd have totally different ways of looking for one and interviewing depending upon what you need.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:43 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
So, after reading many of these posts anyone with any common sense or bad experiences in buying a home would come to the conclusion that honest, hard working Real Estate Agents are pretty tough to find and that most agents are considered a joke even w/in their own industry.
I think you're being overly cynical. I'll bet that honesty amongst RE agents is probably very similar to the public at large, probably even better considering that egregious behavior is likely to cause them loss of their license. As far as competency or hard workingness (if that's a word), it's probably like any other occupation, in that skill levels vary and some are very good while others are probably worthless.

I picked my agent partly on experience, knowing part of that because he's been selling houses in my neighborhood for at least 20 years that I know. I met him about that long ago when I had a lookie-loo impulse and walked in on one of his open houses, and occasionally visit an open house whenever I see his name.

Here's what I think is a good idea: Don't look for a real estate agent only when you're selling your house. Get your lookie-loo in gear and meet some of those agents at open houses in your neighborhood. Practically every homeowner is going to have to sell that house some day, so why not get started on an RE agent relationship right now? (It's also good to keep up to date on what other houses in your neighborhood are selling for. And interesting too to satisfy your general curiosity about what kinds of houses your neighbors have.) Visit those open houses and save business cards from agents who you think are especially sharp. My house is just recently listed but I'm already very happy with my choice of agents, and I trust his experience and honesty. In fact I have a feeling I'm going to have to modify my C-D member profile location pretty soon!

Old 02-22-2011, 02:46 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,993,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeshonder View Post
The first thought is that going in with that attitude, you will have a hard time finding one that you will want to work with, regardless of how honest and hardworking an agent is.

The second thought is that most people with common sense actually do find an agent.

The third thought is that most agents are honest and hard working, especially in today's market.

What you are looking for is one that is honest, hard working, and knows what he/she is doing.

You can look on C-D for agents in your area (Hawaii? Which part). You can look on sites like Active Rain and see what the agents are like. Regardless, you should interview and find the one that you feel you could work with, and, this is important, can work with you.

Other than that, there are dozens of posts here and elsewhere on questions to ask a listing agent.
This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Or could it be that people with bad experiences are more likely to post about it then those with good experiences?
and this.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:27 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,614 times
Post Hoping for...

So, anyway, I am hoping for some positive and serious feedback. I don't see the point in needless criticysm. Any further informational posts would be most welcome. I'm sure the public-at-large will find it very useful.
Koale

Old 02-22-2011, 09:30 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,993,410 times
There are quite a few threads on this. Just do a quick forum search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate