Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:47 AM

8 posts, read 14,557 times

Advertisements

Is it a popular used strategy for a potential buyer to verbally trash a sellers property? I have had several men that have used that tactic on me (woman alone) and have had potential buyers love the property. Three people are working on the financing of it and i have not backed down with the trashers.. I actually know that the right person will buy it as it is a tobacco farm period homestead with minor repairs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 08:12 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
If you are attempting to sell "by owner" you have to expect this. It is sometimes effective in getting the seller to reduce their price, but other times serves only to anger the seller and cause them to dig in their heels...

Farmland is generally a tougher sell when there is home involved, have you tried getting separating the arable land from the residence?

Old 11-16-2009, 09:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalarie View Post

Is it a popular used strategy for a potential buyer to verbally trash a sellers property?
Depends on the market......if it's a seller's market, the buyer would be foolish to do so. In a buyer's market, it is not uncommon. Knowing this is why I do not put much stock into " feedback".

Old 11-16-2009, 09:34 AM

845 posts, read 2,327,631 times
True. I went through this on a FSBO. She made me a low ball offer; I didn't counter, and she told me she bought another place and would be my neighbor. Her financing fell through, so good riddance. When you are suspicious about a person's ability to qualify for a loan--go with your gut.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:18 PM

110 posts, read 235,702 times
When we sold our first house back in 2001 (FSBO), we had 3 offers in one week. One of the offers was a lady who brought her friend to look at the house with her on her second showing of the house, and he also happened to live on the same street we did and had nearly identical floor plan. He picked my house apart and it was in immaculate shape. I was so ready for him to leave.
So when her offer came in, we told her we'd think about it. Two days later we got 2 more offers. Both were more than hers. I called her back to let her know we had received other offers and would not be accepting hers. She called us back three hours later in tears wanting to know why we wouldn't sell her our house and I told her a.) because your "friend" was an arse about our home, and B.) the other offers were for more.
I just don't see how people have the nerve to criticize someone's home to their face. If you don't like it, fine, but at least show some tact while you're there and if it doesn't live up to your standard, reflect it in the offer. Don't alienate yourself by pissing off the seller, where does that get you? Even in a buyer's market?

Old 11-16-2009, 01:38 PM

845 posts, read 2,327,631 times
Great story---How about this to the people that are making fun of the paint colors etc..."MONEY TALKS B.S. WALKS!"

Old 11-16-2009, 02:07 PM

637 posts, read 3,237,027 times
[quote=chet everett;11645960]If you are attempting to sell "by owner" you have to expect this. It is sometimes effective in getting the seller to reduce their price, but other times serves only to anger the seller and cause them to dig in their heels...

Exactly right^^ When you have agents, part of their job is to act as the pin cushions between the two parties so as to keep the emotion out of it. When there's no agent you have to take those comments.

This is really nothing more than a psychological ploy from the potential buyer to gain some momentum in the negotiations; sometimes it's not received very well and has an opposite effect though.

If they were not interested in the property I can't imagine that there would be any motive for this type of behavior other than pure rudeness...

Old 11-16-2009, 03:02 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
We agents hear on a semi-regular basis from an agent who says they are bringing us an offer. Their next line is... It is low because it needs all this work and blah, blah, blah is wrong with the house.

That's about the time my ears shutdown and I tell them bring it on & let's see if we can get it done. Don't try to justify a crappy offer with crappy excuses.

I don't need to hear all the negative talk about the house and usually do not pass it on in detail to the seller. It can make them angry to bad mouth the house they've raised 3 kids and called home for 20 years.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:08 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default yes but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
We agents hear on a semi-regular basis from an agent who says they are bringing us an offer. Their next line is... It is low because it needs all this work and blah, blah, blah is wrong with the house.

That's about the time my ears shutdown and I tell them bring it on & let's see if we can get it done. Don't try to justify a crappy offer with crappy excuses.

I don't need to hear all the negative talk about the house and usually do not pass it on in detail to the seller. It can make them angry to bad mouth the house they've raised 3 kids and called home for 20 years.

... I've had listing where only the reality of a really low offer is enough to get the sellers to get off their duff, get the Pinesol from the hardware store, the ladder to the roof and do something about the "do it yourself penicillin factory" going in the kitchen and clean a few decades worth of sprouted maple seeds out of the gutters...

Old 11-16-2009, 05:05 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
Is it a popular strategy for a potential buyer to verbally trash a sellers property?

Well it might be popular, but it isn't very effective

That HGTV show where the guy shows the folks what they are competing against probably trash talks the homes he's looking at the worst, but then he's trying to get the sellers to remove themselves from the cloud they're floating on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate