Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 07:14 PM

667 posts, read 1,849,844 times

Advertisements

Quoting OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin5 View Post
I

It is estimated that 20% of homeowners are now underwater on their mortgages. This will surely restrict job mobility, making it harder for job seekers to take jobs that would require them to relocate. Up until now, the U.S. has one of the most "mobile" work forces in this regard. ....

3. With the high number of homeowners underwater it seems like there needs to be new mortgage products to account for the current times.
maybe a few rules could be tweaked to allow this to happen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 07:20 PM

15,579 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen59 View Post
I'm trying to understand. (I don't have a background in finance, but I find it interesting.) The bank would have an identical mortgage on an indentically valued house. There wasn't any money created. (They get their original loan repaid on the same day they make the new loan, let's say.)

Yes, perhaps there is a some rule against it (I'm supposing, I don't know), but that doesn't mean it isn't a good idea that might stimulate our economy without costing anything.
It wouldn't be an identical value though. When you buy the second house for $200,000 that becomes the "value" of that house. It is highly unlikely that the house would appraise for $60,000 more than what the buyer is offering. And if it did then that means the loan is 100% financing. Fannie and Freddie aren't buying those which means that the bank that loaned the money would have to hold that mortgage.

The piece you are missing is that the buyers original loan on their current home is probably held by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac. The "bank" that you send payments to, really doesn't have the note, they just service the loan of behalf of the loan giants. Since they don't "have" the loan, they can't just transfer the loan to a new house. The loan is held by someone else. So the other loan has to be cleared and a new loan originated because Fannie and Freddie don't originate loans.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Quoting OP

maybe a few rules could be tweaked to allow this to happen

This is beyond a tweak. You'd be talking about a complete overhaul of the financial system.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It wouldn't be an identical value though. When you buy the second house for $200,000 that becomes the "value" of that house. It is highly unlikely that the house would appraise for $60,000 more than what the buyer is offering. And if it did then that means the loan is 100% financing. Fannie and Freddie aren't buying those which means that the bank that loaned the money would have to hold that mortgage.

The piece you are missing is that the buyers original loan on their current home is probably held by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac. The "bank" that you send payments to, really doesn't have the note, they just service the loan of behalf of the loan giants. Since they don't "have" the loan, they can't just transfer the loan to a new house. The loan is held by someone else. So the other loan has to be cleared and a new loan originated because Fannie and Freddie don't originate loans.
Wow. It's too complicated. Isn't there any way to make this work?

Old 12-02-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Wow. It's too complicated. Isn't there any way to make this work?

What options the OP has depends on who holds the note. The OP can lookup on the Freddie and Fannie sites if they own the loans. If they don't own the loans and the actual bank does, then they might be able to work out a prom note with a new loan. I haven't heard of it being done, but it would be worth talking to the lender about. Debt to income ratios will come into play on that though.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:44 PM

7 posts, read 19,877 times
Quote:
What options the OP has depends on who holds the note. The OP can lookup on the Freddie and Fannie sites if they own the loans. If they don't own the loans and the actual bank does, then they might be able to work out a prom note with a new loan. I haven't heard of it being done, but it would be worth talking to the lender about. Debt to income ratios will come into play on that though.
Unfortunately, Freddie Mac is the owner of my mortgage.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Well, okay! thanks for the info, at any rate

Old 12-02-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin5 View Post
Unfortunately, Freddie Mac is the owner of my mortgage.
My sympathies. They are one of my least favorite entities to deal with, at least the West Coast office stinks. MAM has had better luck in the Midwest with them. Not sure about FL.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:10 PM

764 posts, read 1,598,285 times
Quote:
I disagree. With the presumption that anything that gets people moving, accepting new jobs, pursuing entrepreneurial ventures, freeing their old job for a new person to take, etc, helps our economy recover as quickly as it can...

Person A buys a house five years ago for 300,000. House is now worth 200,000; he owes 260,000 and, not having 60,000, cannot sell it.

He gets good job opportunity in another state. If he moves, he could buy a house in state two for 200,000 (home values have fallen there as well.)

His bank allows him to use his second house as collateral for 260,000 dollar loan. He pays off house one, and owes 260,000 on house two (which is only worth 200,000). For bank, it is neutral, except person A is more likely to pay back the mortgage because he has a good job.

This is a good idea for everyone.

Edit: It has to be the same bank handling both loans, off course. As OP states--bank gets second advantage, closing costs.
Huh??? x2

Good job opportunity in another state - Check.
Owes $460K on something maybe worth $400K - Check.

Doesn't have enough money to settle debts but a bank would be willing to loan $200K w/o a downpayment - Check.

Pays off house (time period unknown) - Check.

Still owes $260K - Check.

Your premise is flawed and your assumptions lack validity.

Bottom line...it's a terrible idea - period.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat2MT View Post
Huh??? x2

Good job opportunity in another state - Check.
Owes $460K on something maybe worth $400K - Check.

Doesn't have enough money to settle debts but a bank would be willing to loan $200K w/o a downpayment - Check.

Pays off house (time period unknown) - Check.

Still owes $260K - Check.

Your premise is flawed and your assumptions lack validity.

Bottom line...it's a terrible idea - period.
what are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate