Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 5,844 times

Advertisements

I am at my wits end here. I have managed apartments for 5 years. I have a tenant that has called the cops on every tenant that has lived above. I did not know until the tenants above told me when moving out. I have a new tenant and the tenant below called the police over noise. I have had enough.... and every time I go into the unit no noise from tenant above. I am currently gathering logs of supposed calls from tenant. I also notified the powers that be that this tenant is becoming worse and is wearing at me because there is nothing to do about noise that does not exist at this point. So , the only thing I can think of is to contact everyone this resident has called the police on and has written letters to and build my case and get this resident to stop the exessive complaining. This person stays home all day mind you. This tenant calls me every day at least 3 times over stupid crap. Venting and any advice would be great. don't get me wrong I am fair and nice and love my tenants and will stick up for them and make sure they are happy and most residents are very happy. But I am done with this particular tenant. Thank you for reading my vent.

Last edited by hitwithice; 12-07-2009 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 09:11 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,397 times
Give him a 30 notice for violating his lease I assume you have a nuisance Claus

Old 12-07-2009, 09:45 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitwithice View Post
I am at my wits end here. I have managed apartments for 5 years. I have a tenant that has called the cops on every tenant that has lived above. I did not know until the tenants above told me when moving out. I have a new tenant and the tenant below called the police over noise. I have had enough.... and every time I go into the unit no noise from tenant above. I am currently gathering logs of supposed calls from tenant. I also notified the powers that be that this tenant is becoming worse and is wearing at me because there is nothing to do about noise that does not exist at this point. So , the only thing I can think of is to contact everyone this resident has called the police on and has written letters to and build my case and get this resident to stop the exessive complaining. This person stays home all day mind you. This tenant calls me every day at least 3 times over stupid crap. Venting and any advice would be great. don't get me wrong I am fair and nice and love my tenants and will stick up for them and make sure they are happy and most residents are very happy. But I am done with this particular tenant. Thank you for reading my vent.
This person sounds like they are not quite mentally stable. I would look to see how to get them out of the space - they must be some law or rule you can use?

Old 12-07-2009, 09:46 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,991 times
Get rid of him at your first opportunity before everyone gets sued by the other tenant for false police reports.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:51 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
It depends what your state laws are. Out here in Oregon you could just give them 30 day notice that you were not going to renew their lease assuming a month to month agreement. How long is the lease?

Old 01-05-2010, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,543 times
We are tenants in the upper part of the house and there is an older couple in the lower part. I control the utilities upstairs but the tenants downstairs has bought 3 hugh heaters plus she does not work and cooks and bakes all day tripling my utility bills in three months. I asked the Landlord that he should pay 30% back instread of 15% although the women does not officially live there but is his girlfriend and is there allllllll the time cooking and running the heaters. I have complainted and also complained that she is smoking downstairs as well. What should i do to get rid of them they are costing my a fortune in utility bills. The Landlord has agreed to pay back 25% but I do not think that is enough. They are still not turning down their heaters and she is still cooking all the time with lights on TV etc. my last bill went from $165.00 to $335.00 what should i do??

Old 01-05-2010, 04:35 PM

377 posts, read 1,727,596 times
You need to determine the reason they're calling the police... is it because the upstairs tenants are playing their music loud, yelling, stomping when they're walking, etc. If it's a reasonable complaint, for ex: loud music at night, address it with the upstairs apt. If it's an unreasonable complaint, for ex: the upstairs apt tenants are talking at normal voice levels at night and the downstairs apt can hear them, you need to tell the downstairs apt that nothing can be done (if you're not willing to install additional soundproofing between the units) but you're willing to break the lease at no charge if they want you to.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:55 PM

377 posts, read 1,727,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno1958 View Post
We are tenants in the upper part of the house and there is an older couple in the lower part. I control the utilities upstairs but the tenants downstairs has bought 3 hugh heaters plus she does not work and cooks and bakes all day tripling my utility bills in three months. I asked the Landlord that he should pay 30% back instread of 15% although the women does not officially live there but is his girlfriend and is there allllllll the time cooking and running the heaters. I have complainted and also complained that she is smoking downstairs as well. What should i do to get rid of them they are costing my a fortune in utility bills. The Landlord has agreed to pay back 25% but I do not think that is enough. They are still not turning down their heaters and she is still cooking all the time with lights on TV etc. my last bill went from $165.00 to $335.00 what should i do??
This is the reason why when a landlord is converting a single family house into 2 units, they need to spend the extra money to separate the electrical for each unit.... or include the electric in the rent price. Your issue shouldn't be with the downstairs tenants. They have the right to heat their unit to whatever temperature they want and to cook as many times as they want (unless it's specified differently in their lease). They just need to pay for it. If you lived in the apt last year and there was a different tenant in the other apt, compare the monthly bills (for ex) December 2008 to December 2009's bill and show the landlord that this years bills are higher and the kilowatts used are also higher. This increase should be a result of the new tenants, so they should be billed this additional amount instead of you.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:04 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitwithice View Post
I'm surprised that the police even bother to respond. "Oh, THAT guy again? Forget it."

Old 01-05-2010, 05:06 PM

948 posts, read 2,790,973 times
Have someone start calling the cops on them! Plant a bag of grass in the apt. I am kidding (sort of) SD people do tend to bite back rather hard. But seriously I don't know all the details but creativity can be golden and when a barking dog gets bit hard enough, well.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate