Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 02:02 PM

12 posts, read 42,347 times

Advertisements

We made an offer on a house a month ago which was rejected. They lowered the price and we made another offer and received a counter offer, which we told our realtor we would be accepting, so she wrote it up. I'm sitting here looking at it and I'm panicking and just don't think I can do it. Some financial realities have hit me, things I thought I was okay with, and I don't know if I feel it is worth it to me to move right now. I'm thinking of not signing it, calling and telling her I can't do it.

Obviously no one here knows me, but is it normal to feel this scared and worried? I feel that I should be excited, as we love the house, but I don't feel good at all. Our realtor has been wonderful, and I feel terrible about the idea of telling her we aren't going to do it, though I know that is not a reason to buy a house, and I'm embarrassed to be so flaky.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 02:08 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,576,169 times
It's your decision. If you really don't feel this is right for you, better to back off now before you're committed with a contract. Suggest you talk it over with your agent to give her a chance to address your concerns.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:08 PM

359 posts, read 1,119,139 times
As a buyer, I can assure you it is perfectly normal to be nervous. It all boils down to the reasons why you want to move, do you love the house and can you really afford it? I walked away from a couple and have regretted it terribly and on the other hand made offers on homes I shouldn't have just to get it all overwith. Fortunately, they were rejected. If you really are cutting it too close financially you should walk away. Nothing worse than being house poor. Otherwise, regroup, make your list of pros & cons and make an informed/educated decision. It's huge...I get it.

Today I received the dreaded "highest & best" request on a foreclosure. I offered over asking (just a little) and was sure it was mine but alas...not quite yet, (story of my life!) I was a nervous wreck all day trying to figure out if my offer really was the best they got but they're just fishing for a little more or.....if I just up it somewhat I'll lock it in for sure. So I pondered and offered up my ObamaBucks! What the heck.....it's "free"! I added $6500 to my initial offer and am hoping for the best.

Good luck in whatever you decide. I'm sure your realtor will be disappointed if you change your mind but I assure you it wont be the first time and if she's a professional, she'll understand.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:14 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
Honestly as an agent I don't do buyer's remorse. If a buyer is too nervous we don't sign offers. Many buyers are slightly anxious because it is a big deal, but you should not have overwhelming feelings of dread.

You don't sound like you are ready to buy right now. It's okay. When you are give your agent a call and get the process started again.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:17 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
Try to take the emotion out of it. Run the numbers. How do they come out?

Old 03-24-2010, 10:30 PM

412 posts, read 939,024 times
I always get really nervous right before making a huge decision, like buying a house. Sometimes it's rational, sometimes it's not.

So, are you nervous just because you're making a big change? Or, are you nervous because you're doing something that makes you uncomfortable, like buying more than you can comfortably afford?

Old 03-25-2010, 06:52 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
I had a single guy who could never commit or be comfortable with his decisions. It took him 3 years to buy a home.

Go with your gut feel on what's best for you, but buyers remorse is a common term and fear in our business. When I have a client like you, I buy them a big ole box of chocolate (M&M's work well) and after they've devoured some chocolate sedative they usually feel better about their decisions.

If the M&M's don't work, then maybe you need to wait awhile on your purchase. Don't worry about being Flaky & your agent. We deal with this all the time. It's life.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:08 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,908,228 times
It's really hard to say over the internet without knowing your personality. This could be the best deal of your life, you could be sitting on the lowest rates of your lifetime and your back ratio could be under 30%. Are you typically nervous in other areas? Do you know why you are worried? You say, "we" - do you feel like this may not be a joint decision? Find out why you feel this way......

Personally, I tend to regret my decisions when I decide not to do something. Once I realized that was the source of my regrets, I've been able to overcome my fear and make fearless decisions. But that's me and it took 30 years to realize it and get the confidence to move forward in my decisions. If you have any apprehension, do not sign. But do get to the bottom why you feel this way -

Old 03-25-2010, 07:51 AM

359 posts, read 1,119,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I had a single guy who could never commit or be comfortable with his decisions. It took him 3 years to buy a home.
Sounds like my soul mate lives in your neck of the woods.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:50 PM

424 posts, read 2,340,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

Go with your gut feel on what's best for you, but buyers remorse is a common term and fear in our business. When I have a client like you, I buy them a big ole box of chocolate (M&M's work well) and after they've devoured some chocolate sedative they usually feel better about their decisions.
What?! So THAT's why my realtor always had a dish of chocolate candy in his office...... I thought it was to keep my kids quiet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate