Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 05:10 PM

355 posts, read 1,479,954 times

Advertisements

Under 5% two weeks ago, now over 5.3%

Homebuyers scramble as mortgage rates jump - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_rising_rates - broken link)

The average rate on a 30-year loan has jumped from about 5 percent to more than 5.3 percent in just the past week. As mortgages get more expensive, more would-be homeowners are priced out of the market — a threat to the fragile recovery in the housing market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 05:18 PM

424 posts, read 2,341,440 times
Just saw this article and came on here to see what you all would say about it

I have to wonder if I should kick myself, because we got a great rate on this house but we will outgrow it in 3-5 years and compared to this rate we will probably puke at how much it will cost us to "move up" at that point

Old 04-07-2010, 05:27 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,318,516 times
Remember that the new rates are still low. 20 years ago the rates wee 18% or so...It's still a good time: rates are STILL low, home buyer credit until end of the month, still inventory to pick from...

Old 04-07-2010, 05:48 PM

58 posts, read 201,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
Remember that the new rates are still low. 20 years ago the rates wee 18% or so...It's still a good time: rates are STILL low, home buyer credit until end of the month, still inventory to pick from...
20 yrs ago mid class could afford their mortgage, now barely anybody can.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:03 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by postmortem View Post

Mortgage interest rates were about 10%, 20 years ago.

Education, fuel and insurance are disproportionally higher now than then. Food, electronics, travel, clothing and home goods are cheaper now.

And then there is the black hole of discretionary spending, communications that did not exist 20 years ago and coffee at $3 a pop.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:15 PM

ok...more like 30 years...

Highest 30 yr Mortgage Rates Hit in Oct 1981…They were 18.45%!!! | Katy's Korner

found the chart interesting

Old 04-07-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmortem View Post
Mid-class COULD afford it, but chose other things to spend their money on. I have a home and we can afford it but we could be much better if we cut out
eating out: $250 a month
Crazy Cable/phone/internet $150 a month
Entertainment $100 a month (movies, parks, etc.)
Coffee Runs $50 or so a month (WE have cut this out!)
Trips to Target just for fun $100 plus a month
Cell plan $100 a month

Just those items alone total $750. Our mortgage is about $2400 a month...If I took that money and applied it to the mortgage that would be $1650.

Last edited by ShannonMilligan; 04-07-2010 at 06:46 PM..

Old 04-07-2010, 06:33 PM

424 posts, read 2,341,440 times
wow, I wish I had those choices

the article had an example of a certain monthly payment that at one interest rate would afford a loan of $300k, but one point higher interest they could only borrow $270 for the same monthly payment. So the choice would be that you'd have to choose a cheaper house or save up a higher down payment.

after recently closing on this house and now paying our bills for a few months and getting to see our current budget at work (or not work, lol), and thinking about the math, if our income isn't higher in a few years, but interest rates are, we will not be able to afford to "move up" much at all. Maybe we can get something bigger if/when we need it, but not nicer. Bummer. I probably should've just started with that after all. I'll go back and read that "buyers remorse" thread now

Old 04-07-2010, 06:45 PM

472 posts, read 855,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
Mid-class COULD afford it, but chose other things to spend their money on. I have a home and we can afford it but we could be much better if we cut out
eating out: $250 a month
Crazy Cable/phone/internet $150 a month
Entertainment $100 a month (movies, parks, etc.)
Coffee Runs $50 or so a month (WE have cut this out!)
Trips to Target just for fun $100 plus a month
Cell plan $100 a month

Just those items alone total $750. Our mortgage is about $2400 a month...If I took that money and applied it to the mortgage that would be $1650.

Anyway...its about choices.
+1 for you.
Couldn't agree more!

I can add another one to your list....
I know of a family that pays for all these pricey extra curricular activities (sports, etc) for their kids, but is always late on their mortgage. I cannot even comprehend that

Hint: Discretionary income is what you have LEFT OVER after the bills are paid.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campmom123 View Post
wow, I wish I had those choices

the article had an example of a certain monthly payment that at one interest rate would afford a loan of $300k, but one point higher interest they could only borrow $270 for the same monthly payment. So the choice would be that you'd have to choose a cheaper house or save up a higher down payment.

after recently closing on this house and now paying our bills for a few months and getting to see our current budget at work (or not work, lol), and thinking about the math, if our income isn't higher in a few years, but interest rates are, we will not be able to afford to "move up" much at all. Maybe we can get something bigger if/when we need it, but not nicer. Bummer. I probably should've just started with that after all. I'll go back and read that "buyers remorse" thread now
I deleted that last sentence...It was too general.

Enjoy your current home and I bet things will work out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate