Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 07:34 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I was about to say, for thin crust pizza, why do we WANT yeast in the dough? I had a single pie crust left over from the pocket pies I was making. Used it for something else, but wondering if I couldn't have used it for pizza effectively.
Anything's worth a try. I do notice that different crusts for specific needs (pizza dough vs pastry dough for example) have different flavors & textures once baked. So, it depends upon your sense of adventure & what you'd like to taste at that moment.

I have used pizza dough for many things... rolled out in strips, filled with crispy steak, chicken or hamburg & onions, rolled up like a pinwheel & baked a pan in the oven. Don't know what you'd call them (Patanjali Puffs... haha), but they taste great. I've done it with veggies/homemade tomato sauce, too & with cinnamon/sugar/butter... all were good, although who doesn't like hot, doughy anything fresh out of the oven!

Yes, I've come across the no-yeast doughs, too & was wondering if it would render the flat crust I'm looking for... I'm willing to give it a try & post back with pics.

Thanks all so much... although my waistline is going to suffer, I can pre-feel it... haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 07:34 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Thank you Mel for sharing the recipe. This dough looks easy so I'll give a whole bunch of recipes a try. I've been hearing people rave about buffalo chicken ranch pizzas, as well. Never tried them... I'm fairly simple with pizza... I like plain, just sauce & mixed cheeses but do make pizza dough often & garnish it varying ways like focaccia, no sauce. I've even done steak & cheese pizzas... well, with my thick puffy doughs, again it's always focaccia.

I'm going to post a before pic of my tummy so once I have a nice round muffin top from pizza feasting, you'll all have known me when.
You're so very welcome! I actually did spicy chicken/jalapeno/mushroom/olive that night, as well as some ham/pineapple/green onion too. The buffalo chicken ranch sounds great! Oh.....by the way, philly cheese steak w/ cream cheese is awesome too!!

TK.... pie crusts might be a little crumbly (tender) to hold up, I'm not sure, but this darn crust is so easy and fast I'm not sure I'd mess with the pie crust. LOL

Old 11-07-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
You're so very welcome! I actually did spicy chicken/jalapeno/mushroom/olive that night, as well as some ham/pineapple/green onion too.
Your spicy chicken sounds great. I've never had a pineapple/ham anything... not a pork eater & pineapple on dinner doesn't sound appetizing to me, although so many rave about it. I will have to try it sometime... maybe someplace where I could get a slice so I don't have a whole pizza to contend with, or half, should I not like it.

Quote:
TK.... pie crusts might be a little crumbly (tender) to hold up, I'm not sure, but this darn crust is so easy and fast I'm not sure I'd mess with the pie crust. LOL
Maybe a pizza pie would work... placing the dough in a pie plate. I'm always game to try anything. I once read a tip in a magazine about instant appetizers if company is coming unexpectedly. Take wonton wrappers, fill with cream cheese, quickly deep fry & roll in powdered sugar. I'm not much for desserts, but I suppose you could fill a wrapper with anything you've got left over in your fridge, mix up a quick homemade dipping sauce & for a simple snack with a beer/wine, it wouldn't be that bad. I'm sure I've had worse in fine dining restaurants for $$$... in fact, I know I have.

Thanks for all your recipes! I bought a pizza tray & flour tonight, so I'm gearing up to try your dough recipe.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Your spicy chicken sounds great. I've never had a pineapple/ham anything... not a pork eater & pineapple on dinner doesn't sound appetizing to me, although so many rave about it. I will have to try it sometime... maybe someplace where I could get a slice so I don't have a whole pizza to contend with, or half, should I not like it.

Maybe a pizza pie would work... placing the dough in a pie plate. I'm always game to try anything. I once read a tip in a magazine about instant appetizers if company is coming unexpectedly. Take wonton wrappers, fill with cream cheese, quickly deep fry & roll in powdered sugar. I'm not much for desserts, but I suppose you could fill a wrapper with anything you've got left over in your fridge, mix up a quick homemade dipping sauce & for a simple snack with a beer/wine, it wouldn't be that bad. I'm sure I've had worse in fine dining restaurants for $$$... in fact, I know I have.

Thanks for all your recipes! I bought a pizza tray & flour tonight, so I'm gearing up to try your dough recipe.
LOL....my hubby felt the same way about pineapple. For years you couldn't get him to eat anything dinner or lunchish, with pineapple. I made Hawaiian burgers one night (beef/pineapple/sharp cheddar) and he LOVED it. Storebough Hawaiian pizza, he won't eat....but he will eat my home made pineapple & ham.

I'm so glad you got your pizza tray.....that's funny. LOL

Love those won tons with cream cheese. Of course, we love making home-made egg rolls and won tons. Time consuming, but well worth the effort.

Indian fry bread is another extremely quick company dessert.....and I do mean quick! Hot out of the oil and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar...yuuumm. Another quick cheat I'll use for a quick & easy dessert is this......mini muffins. I have several different sized muffin tins. My favorite tins are the 24 count mini muffins. I can mix up a boxed cake mix, add an extra egg, toss in some add-ins, fill 2 mini muffin tins (24 muuffins each) and have 48 treats in about 12 minutes! I haven't gotten around to using those tins for anything but these,brownies, and mini-muffins, but they're fast and you're not tempted to eat a Texas-sized muffin....although they're like Lays...you can't eat just one. LOL

Old 11-08-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Love those won tons with cream cheese. Of course, we love making home-made egg rolls and won tons. Indian fry bread is another extremely quick company dessert.....and I do mean quick! Hot out of the oil... Another quick cheat I'll use for a quick & easy dessert is this......mini muffins... although they're like Lays...you can't eat just one. LOL
Oh, now you've done it... all that stuff sounds great & everything you've listed is the reason I don't keep deep fry oil around, don't own muffin/cake/bundt pans & don't buy anything which could be a dessert ingredient. I call desserts & most delicious fried foods "waist fillers"... if a waiter asks if I'd like to see the dessert menu, I only hear "Would you like to expand your waist?" I'm sure those security cameras at Ralph's have picked me up circling SmartFood popcorn & chips like a shark & have security baffled... "There's that nutter again! She's been in the cake isle 10-times in 5-minutes! She does this 3-times/wk!"

I would eat 10 mini-muffins, cream cheese won tons 'til gone, an entire bag of chips in 1 day... all in lieu of food. I do the same with pizza... eat 1-2 pieces everytime I'm hungry 'til it's gone. So pizza making is a dangerous proposition in my house & I'd appreciate it if I come in again to ask about it, no one knows anything about any kind of pizza, ever.

Indian bread is heavenly. I'll pretend I didn't hear it's easy to make at home.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:29 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Roll it out? Who rolls out pizza dough? You gotta learn to toss it. The only people I know who roll pizza dough are the Greeks, and Pizza Hut. Thin-crust pizza dough needs to be tossed. It takes practice but it's not too hard once you get the hang of it. Just don't try and do anything too fancy and you should be fine. You can google "pizza toss" and find a bunch of how-to videos on youtube.

Edited to add: I like greek pizza. It's not a slam against them. It's just that they aren't known for tossing pizza, and their dough is usually thicker than the Italian style. Not as thick as Cicelian, but it's also a different dough.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:45 PM

Don't beat yourself over the pizza....you can make them soooo healthy. I make a real meal out of mine. When I say I put spinach on it, I mean a triple layer of baby (New Zealand) spinach on there.....lots of green onions....if it has tomatoes, there are lots of Romas diced or sliced on them. They're meals! LOL Also, make sure you use some WW flour. I've made the 100% WW and the kids love the texture, same with our WW tortillas we make for those pinwheel roll up snacks. LOL

Anon....as long as I have a rolling pin, I am not going to toss pizza dough. I tried it a couple of times and it was a disaster. Shoot, I make a big enough mess in my kitchen when I cook, I'm not going to clean flour off of my entire kitchen floor too. Thanks for the tip though. LOL

Old 11-08-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Roll it out? Who rolls out pizza dough? You gotta learn to toss it. You can google "pizza toss" and find a bunch of how-to videos on youtube.
I believe you've either far more talent, have loads more time or eat a lot more pizza than I will, but to each his own. It sounds like fun but for the 10 I'll make each year, I think I'll stick to rolling thin, thinner, thinnest.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:53 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
The problem with rolling, is it compresses the dough, and you can't tell if it's "just thin enough" or "almost thin enough but not quite" or "so thin that it'll fall apart if you try to pick up a slice once it's cooked". When you toss it, you're watching it get thinner and thinner and thinner..the outer crust is thin, but not very thin, you can tell when it's ready by watching -through- the dough as it stretches out. Once you get the knack of it (and really, it's not hard at all, I'm not even italian and I've seen kids get it after their very first try at the Italian Fest this year), it's less than 3 minutes to stretch a 12-inch pizza dough.

It's all in the knuckles, and flouring it (and your knuckles) properly before you start stretching. Once you get that part down, the tossing is as easy as letting a frisbee's rim slide over your knuckles in a circle without falling off.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Don't beat yourself over the pizza....you can make them soooo healthy.
Oh, no Mel, don't take me too seriously. I agree with you. I'm very tongue in cheek so sometimes my humor is lost in writing... but it is the bread I try to avoid, otherwise I'd eat carbs (specifically potatoes, cereal out of the box or any kind of doughy concoction) day/night & anytime in-between! Never gained weight in my life... once I hit 48, that changed. A sandwich for lunch & 2 slices for dinner & my clothing is tight & the scale is 2-3 lbs more next day, really. I'm too comfortable in my tiny clothing to fall off the wagon very often, so I try not to tempt myself... hence my shark-like, stalking behavior in the market, which burns calories, too. I have dreams about that sexy black bag of SmartFood! My favorite dream is eating SmartFood popcorn with George Clooney at Ralph's.

Quote:
I make a real meal out of mine. When I say I put spinach on it, I mean a triple layer of baby (New Zealand) spinach on there.....lots of green onions....if it has tomatoes, there are lots of Romas diced or sliced on them. They're meals! LOL Also, make sure you use some WW flour. I've made the 100% WW and the kids love the texture, same with our WW tortillas we make for those pinwheel roll up snacks. LOL
You know if I'm able to use your recipe to render such a flat pizza crust, I can probably eat more pizza. You have no idea how joyous that sounds to me... I'll test it out later in the week as I'm fresh out of everything edible. Oh, I'll need to buy a tape measure, too. Happy?

I can't wait to make a pizza. Maybe we can start of thread of favorite healthy pizzas toppings & I was also wondering if one can mix ingredients into the crust... don't know what, but perhaps sun dried tomatoes? olives? herbs? I need some new recipes & ideas for toppings... I'm trying to eat more hearty food as I've had life-long anemia & have mostly have eaten veggie/raw food diet... I don't think it suits me.

Thanks again for your suggestions & recipe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes