Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 09:22 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times

Advertisements

I have a lot of fresh Basil in a pot at the moment and was thinking of making Pesto but every time I try , it never ends up quite right. I have followed so many different recipes now ( to the letter which is unlike me !) and it always ends up either too oily or too dry.

So if anyone has the "perfect", Mooseketeer-Proof Pesto recipe I would be immensely grateful. I have to use that Basil up , it is starting to grow out of control and soon you will have to use a machete to free me from the great Basil Jungle of 2011....

So good people of C-D , please come to the rescue of this helpless friend and HELP me !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 09:32 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,029 times
Hmmm...let's see...

Since you have so much basil, let me help you get rid of it.
Posting any pesto recipe will be contingent on you Fedexing some basil to me, do we have a deal?

Ok, ok, here goes the pesto genovese - the original, real thing when it comes to pesto.
PESTO GENOVESE: LA RICETTA UFFICIALE DEL PESTO, IL CONSORZIO DEL PESTO GENOVESE E ... CURIOSITA' STORICHE

Just remember to dry the basil leaves very well since one of the most common mistakes when making pesto is using wet basil, it ruins the recipe entirely.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:50 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
I like 3 parts basil, 1 part italian (flat-leaf) parsley.

I use walnuts not pine nuts, and I toast them first. I add olive oil while the blender/food processer is running until I have the texture I like. I use less oil than a lot of recipes call for, as I like to store it in tupperware and add a little more oil plus starchy pasta water when I'm tossing it to make the sauce how I like.

Sorry this is probably not much help!

Old 08-11-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Hmmm...let's see...

Since you have so much basil, let me help you get rid of it.
Posting any pesto recipe will be contingent on you Fedexing some basil to me, do we have a deal?

Ok, ok, here goes the pesto genovese - the original, real thing when it comes to pesto.
PESTO GENOVESE: LA RICETTA UFFICIALE DEL PESTO, IL CONSORZIO DEL PESTO GENOVESE E ... CURIOSITA' STORICHE

Just remember to dry the basil leaves very well since one of the most common mistakes when making pesto is using wet basil, it ruins the recipe entirely.

Brilliant ! Exactly what I needed.

I always wash the basil before using it and dry it but maybe not quite well enough. Maybe I should let it dry for a little while on top of patting it dry as well.... I shall try this recipe and get back to you. I also usually only use Parmesan so I need to get some Pecorino.

Pesto is one of my favourite things in the whole wide world and I feel it ought to be simple enough for me to master but every single time it ends up "meh" and underwhelming.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I like 3 parts basil, 1 part italian (flat-leaf) parsley.

I use walnuts not pine nuts, and I toast them first. I add olive oil while the blender/food processer is running until I have the texture I like. I use less oil than a lot of recipes call for, as I like to store it in tupperware and add a little more oil plus starchy pasta water when I'm tossing it to make the sauce how I like.

Sorry this is probably not much help!
That sounds lovely also actually. Thank you.

I adore flat leaf parsley. I have had almond "Pesto" before and it was lovely so I think adding Walnuts sounds wonderful as it is my favourite nut. I shall try this as well as Miaiam's recipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes