Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 02:02 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times

Advertisements

My Granny made this ground beef concoction consisting of 2 lbs ground beef..
diced onions.. 3 cans of tomato soup, small can of paste....
and H2O to make it a medium thickness..

Serve hot over piping hot mashed potato's....
She calls it like her mother and grandmother before.. Buggered Hamburger'

Is it maybe an old soup can recipe..?
They always use cambels
I have looked online..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 03:42 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,001,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
My Granny made this ground beef concoction consisting of 2 lbs ground beef..
diced onions.. 3 cans of tomato soup, small can of paste....
and H2O to make it a medium thickness..

Serve hot over piping hot mashed potato's....
She calls it like her mother and grandmother before.. Buggered Hamburger'

Is it maybe an old soup can recipe..?
They always use cambels
I have looked online..
What it sounds like is something that may have come out of the "Great Depression". Likely, something that Grandmother, or even Great Grandmother may have concocted in order to fill the empty stomachs around the table.

I know a couple of women that will look in the cupboard and frig, take out a few things, put them together, and pray they work well. If it's accepted well, they'll put the same ingredients together again, and again. It becomes a "family recipe".

A recipe I have came about, sort of that way. "Polish Lasagne." And, every time I make it, it doesn't matter how big a batch it is, there are NEVER any leftovers. I've already made 3 sheet-cake pans of it for 4 people, and it was all gone before the sun went down. But, like your "Buggered Hamburger", you will not find the recipe online. I was the one that came up with it, years ago, while trying to feed 4 kids on a small budget. In a couple of generations, my descendants may be looking for the origin of that one as well.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:56 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,765,752 times
There are a zillion Campbell's Soup recipes out there -- it sounds very similar to my mom's recipe for Porcupine Balls -- she was a can-opener gourmet from the 1940s when that was the chic modern way to cook. Your folks could have gotten it from a women's magazine, a Campbell's cookbook, a neighbor...the possibilities are endless.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:43 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,091,356 times
I used to make this for my kids and we always called it tomato gravy.....I didn't have a recipe....but I also didn't add tomato paste...just hamburger, onions and tomato soup and some water. The kids loved it over mashed potatoes. And, now sometimes I even put tomato soup around meatloaf to make tomato gravy....tomato gravy seems to be popular in the more southern states.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:57 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,765,752 times
It almost sounds like an ultra-American version of spaghetti sauce.

For anyone who wants to try this incredibly good recipe:

PORCUPINE BALLS (or PORCUPINE STEW)

1 lb hamburger, ground round, chuck or sirloin (your choice)
1 Tbsp instant minced onion flakes
1/4 to 1/2 C uncooked white or brown rice
s & p
1 can Campbell's tomato or tomato-rice soup
1/2 can of water
1 bay leaf

Mix the meat, onion flakes and rice by hand until everything is evenly distributed. Form into balls and brown in a frying pan with a lid -- or do what I do and just chop the meat into crumbles as it browns.

When nicely browned, pour over the soup and water and add a bay leaf. Bring to a simmer, cover, turn the heat down to low and cook 45 minutes, turning the meat over halfway through. Discard the bay leaf before serving and serve over rice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes