Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 05:57 AM

74 posts, read 275,167 times

Advertisements

I posted something similar to this a few days ago but I'm still having issues.

Whenever I try to recreate this sauce I used to get at a restaurant I worked at, it doesn't come out right. It just tastes like olive oil with a tiny hint of garlic. When I got it from my old job, the sauce was full of garlic flavor and it tasted more buttery than olive oil.. but I know they used olive oil because I saw them making it once (can't remember what they did though). I know they used garlic cloves but they never looked brown, always white. Does anyone have a recipe for this? I tried doing the clarified butter method I was told to do on the other post but it didn't work. I guess I need a recipe with measurements and everything. I wouldn't feel comfortable asking the chef himself how he makes it so I figured I'd ask on here again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 06:30 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times
use a stick of melted butter and only 3 Tbsp olive oil and maybe 4 cloves fresh garlic . The garlic will taste bitter if it gets browned. Only saute the garlic for 2 minutes or until the flavor is relased. slice the garlic thin and let it melt in the pan. adding anchovies (2 filets) will give the dish a great flavor. Anchovies will melt in the pan and leave a great flavor and you won't even see the anchovies.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
use a stick of melted butter and only 3 Tbsp olive oil and maybe 4 cloves fresh garlic . The garlic will taste bitter if it gets browned. Only saute the garlic for 2 minutes or until the flavor is relased. slice the garlic thin and let it melt in the pan. adding anchovies (2 filets) will give the dish a great flavor. Anchovies will melt in the pan and leave a great flavor and you won't even see the anchovies.
My wife and I hate anchovies so I won't add that but I'll try everything else!

Old 01-28-2012, 08:03 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,904,022 times
Yes, I would add butter, too.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:05 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
You're probably just not using enough garlic. Also, if you're trying to make a scampi sauce, it's more than just hot oil and garlic (you didn't mention). Even if you're not trying to make a scampi sauce, you still don't have to add butter unless you want to.

What you could try:
Put a couple of tablespoons of oil in a small sauce pot, turn the heat on. Once a drop of water added to the pot sizzles and pops, add 4-5 pressed garlic cloves and shake the pot briskly for just a few seconds. Then, add the rest of your oil. You should be able to do this before the garlic starts to toast/fry, and it'll remain tender, but it will also get the garlic oil well-infused with the oil.

If you don't have a garlic press, get one. It releases the garlic oil -much- better than cutting the cloves with a knife.

If you -are- trying to make a scampi-like sauce, then you'll need to slice a shallot up into the pot before you do the garlic. Wafer thin slices, that are further chopped into small pinky-nail sized pieces. Then the garlic, then red pepper flakes, then a squeeze of a fresh lemon half, and a splash of sherry, and finally, just before tossing with the macaroni/shrimp/whatever else, a heaping tablespoon of parsely flakes.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You're probably just not using enough garlic. Also, if you're trying to make a scampi sauce, it's more than just hot oil and garlic (you didn't mention). Even if you're not trying to make a scampi sauce, you still don't have to add butter unless you want to.

What you could try:
Put a couple of tablespoons of oil in a small sauce pot, turn the heat on. Once a drop of water added to the pot sizzles and pops, add 4-5 pressed garlic cloves and shake the pot briskly for just a few seconds. Then, add the rest of your oil. You should be able to do this before the garlic starts to toast/fry, and it'll remain tender, but it will also get the garlic oil well-infused with the oil.

If you don't have a garlic press, get one. It releases the garlic oil -much- better than cutting the cloves with a knife.

If you -are- trying to make a scampi-like sauce, then you'll need to slice a shallot up into the pot before you do the garlic. Wafer thin slices, that are further chopped into small pinky-nail sized pieces. Then the garlic, then red pepper flakes, then a squeeze of a fresh lemon half, and a splash of sherry, and finally, just before tossing with the macaroni/shrimp/whatever else, a heaping tablespoon of parsely flakes.
I will try your first method. The sauce is going to be for a linguini and broccoli dish btw. I always use a ton of garlic but I never tried the pressed method, so I will try that. Thanks!!

Old 01-28-2012, 10:27 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
I should clarify about the pressed garlic (since not everyone is familiar with it, most people use powder, salt, or just cut the cloves to mince them).

Pressed garlic isn't just a smushed clove. It's a clove that has been shoved through a device similar to a sieve, or an unsharpened grater. It turns the clove into minced garlic, without having to worry about peeling it or lifting it from cutting board to container, plus it compresses it so that the oils are released and the whole thing comes out in mushed, fragrant, deliciously tasty tiny little tidbits.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
I should clarify about the pressed garlic (since not everyone is familiar with it, most people use powder, salt, or just cut the cloves to mince them).

Pressed garlic isn't just a smushed clove. It's a clove that has been shoved through a device similar to a sieve, or an unsharpened grater. It turns the clove into minced garlic, without having to worry about peeling it or lifting it from cutting board to container, plus it compresses it so that the oils are released and the whole thing comes out in mushed, fragrant, deliciously tasty tiny little tidbits.
My mother in law presses garlic regularly so I am aware of it and have the machine to do it. Thank you though! I will try this tomorrow.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:25 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,904,022 times
Quote:

Good point, I always use one and forget that not everyone else does. It does make a difference.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:50 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times
taking the cloves and placing them on a cutting board, add a little coarse salt, chop them and then with the back of a chopping knife press the cloves to make a paste. That will work too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes