Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 06:18 PM

476 posts, read 1,297,333 times

Advertisements

An old friend of mine had an aunt who used to make this chocolate orange torte that was to die for. I'd love to try to make it for our Christmas this year. I've done some google searches and I have yet to find a recipe for a torte that is not chocolate brown. This torte she made was white, from meringue, and it had orange and chocolate layers on the bottom in a pie crust. Kinda like a lemon meringue pie. Can anyone point me in the direction of a recipe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 05:54 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
I found a few hits (and, oh my God, they looked delicious!) that were not chocolate brown when I put these words into Google:

chocolate orange torte meringue

Give it a shot. Are either of these what you're looking for?

Grand Marnier Meringue Torte Recipe | MyRecipes.com

Chocolate Meringue Torte Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

Old 12-15-2011, 10:37 AM

476 posts, read 1,297,333 times
Thanks so much for looking for me and posting those links. Those look good but her recipe but was definitely a white pie with orange and chocolate layers under the meringue. I think this might be close -

Orange Meringue Pie - Country Living

I am going to try to make it using a chocolate pie crust and I might achieve the result I am looking for. I found this article where the baker did just that -

SHF #43: Citrus! « Fruit Tart

In the alternative, I wonder how to get the thin chocolate layer under the orange filling? Would I melt chocolate chips and pour the melted chocolate onto the crust? If I did this I would not know if the orange filling and chocolate layer would stay separated.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:34 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushiqueen View Post
Thanks so much for looking for me and posting those links. Those look good but her recipe but was definitely a white pie with orange and chocolate layers under the meringue. I think this might be close -

I am going to try to make it using a chocolate pie crust and I might achieve the result I am looking for. I found this article where the baker did just that -

In the alternative, I wonder how to get the thin chocolate layer under the orange filling? Would I melt chocolate chips and pour the melted chocolate onto the crust? If I did this I would not know if the orange filling and chocolate layer would stay separated.
I love a puzzle and wish that I could solve yours. Good luck making this -- no matter what, I'm sure it will be delicious!

Old 01-11-2013, 09:48 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,767,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushiqueen View Post

As long as the chocolate layer is heavier than the orange and the chocolate is firmly set on the bottom and not liquid, it should work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes