Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 01:16 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

I won't add jalapeno peppers so no worry about that and I'll have to leave the green and red peppers fairly large so picky DH can pick them out. But when I look at recipes I am overwhelmed with so many different kinds.
I found one with tomato juice -that's fine I didn't grow any tomatoes this year
cucumber
onion-red
red and/or green pepper
garlic
EVOO
balsamic vinegar
lime juice

can I add cut up summer squash or any other veggies I have on hand? Will the Gazpacho Police come get me???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 02:47 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Just add or take away what you want. But best thing I can tell you, let it chill for several hours before eating. It will be a magically different product. Only caution I have with tomato juice that it will be very thin, you are better off getting fresh tomatoes. Or if in a pinch, use those carton Pomi tomatoes.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:12 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I won't add jalapeno peppers so no worry about that and I'll have to leave the green and red peppers fairly large so picky DH can pick them out. But when I look at recipes I am overwhelmed with so many different kinds.
I found one with tomato juice -that's fine I didn't grow any tomatoes this year
cucumber
onion-red
red and/or green pepper
garlic
EVOO
balsamic vinegar
lime juice

can I add cut up summer squash or any other veggies I have on hand? Will the Gazpacho Police come get me???

The best recipe is the one you like, you have a good base there so play around with it. Many recipes call for tomato juice as a base but still add chopped tomatoes. The next time I get some good tomatoes I plan on trying Trader Joe's Tomato/Roasted Red Pepper Soup as a base. Sherry vinegar's nice as are scallions, salt & pepper of course and perhaps any fresh herbs you enjoy.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:05 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
My avocado tree went mad last year and I made a ton of gazpacho which I froze (just as well as the tree this year has gone on strike)! I'm not into adding any other veggies as I feel they detract from the main component but I DO add a little apple sauce and it's a wonderful taste and texture boost.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:38 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
My favorite is the Soup Nazi Gazpacho recipe. I use part regular tomato juice and a bit of the spicy kind for just a hint of spice.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:09 PM

DH says tomatoes are mean to him in his old age so i made gazpacho with a tiny bit of sugar to cut the acid and it was delicious. I added two roma tomatoes and floated a few colorful (orange and green) cherry tomatoes on top. It was a big hit. Thank you for all who helped. I also added a stalk of celery I wanted to use up. made the whole thing a bit chewy but I like it. Waste not want not....

Old 07-28-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
DH says tomatoes are mean to him in his old age so i made gazpacho with a tiny bit of sugar to cut the acid and it was delicious. I added two roma tomatoes and floated a few colorful (orange and green) cherry tomatoes on top. It was a big hit. Thank you for all who helped. I also added a stalk of celery I wanted to use up. made the whole thing a bit chewy but I like it. Waste not want not....
You might want to try canned San Marzano tomatoes, less acidic and sweeter than regular varieties.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:49 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Im back on my diet and I made a faux gazpacho in the blender the other day that was so good. Im going to the market to get more cuckes to make again.

1 ripe tomato large diced
2 chilled cucumbers peeled and a diced
1 lemon peeled and diced
1/2 large ripe avocado
1/2 lime peeled and diced
dash of salt
lots of cracked black pepper
dash of vinager
dash red pepper flake.
2 tbl of olive oil
blend till smooth
this what I had on hand

Next time I make, I will add

small piece of jalepeno, pinch of fresh cilantro, and small piece of bell pepper

Old 07-29-2013, 11:02 AM

Well they lied to me. When my family was given a small taste they all said YUMMY but when I served it for a meal they all turned up their noses! I admit it was/is a bit zippy and I think maybe I put too much Worcestershire in it. Besides sugar what can I do to tame it down? Float sour cream on top? I did add 2 roma tomatoes to give it some body and left out the lime juice using red wine vinegar instead. Any suggestions to make this more palatable to 11 year old girls? i give up on DH. He won't even eat tomatoes in a salad anymore.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Well they lied to me. When my family was given a small taste they all said YUMMY but when I served it for a meal they all turned up their noses! I admit it was/is a bit zippy and I think maybe I put too much Worcestershire in it. Besides sugar what can I do to tame it down? Float sour cream on top? I did add 2 roma tomatoes to give it some body and left out the lime juice using red wine vinegar instead. Any suggestions to make this more palatable to 11 year old girls? i give up on DH. He won't even eat tomatoes in a salad anymore.
I've never used Worcestershire in gazpacho but the sour cream might work well to balance it, I used to love the gazpacho at a restaurant in Lake Tahoe and they used sour cream as a garnish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes