Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 11:55 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing it was a Sirloin tip roast. Those are always tough and dry. The only 2 ways I have found to cook them is to brown the outside and cook the inside medium rare and slice wafer thin for sandwiches. The other way is to crock pot the thing just like a chuck roast.

You can take the tough roast, put it in the crock pot and simmer it all day, just like you would have if you started with raw meat. It will fall apart eventually.

Oh wait. I do use them a third way. Slice longways to the grain and super thin, sprinkle with a tiny bit of season salt and cracked black pepper and put it into the food dehydrator for some good jerky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 12:19 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm guessing it was a Sirloin tip roast. Those are always tough and dry. The only 2 ways I have found to cook them is to brown the outside and cook the inside medium rare and slice wafer thin for sandwiches. The other way is to crock pot the thing just like a chuck roast.

You can take the tough roast, put it in the crock pot and simmer it all day, just like you would have if you started with raw meat. It will fall apart eventually.

Oh wait. I do use them a third way. Slice longways to the grain and super thin, sprinkle with a tiny bit of season salt and cracked black pepper and put it into the food dehydrator for some good jerky.
you are right

the sirloin tip roast should be called round tip roast, its from a knuckle, which is from the round.

now "sirloin tips" with an S is a whole different muscle,,,its much more tender

Old 12-01-2013, 01:46 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
I don't agree with slow cook it from here. A slow cooked stew or such is a great option from the get go for this cut of meat. But I would not try and take an already overcooked oven roast and try to slow cook it. I am definitely a fan of the idea of grinding the meat, mixing it with the gravy or a stroganoff sauce and go from there.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:35 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
... a 2.75 lb sirloin beef roast ...........

............ I figured I could shred it in the food processor and use it in tacoss with some seasoning. What else can I do to this meat to use it up?
That's a brilliant idea, if you have big eaters at home.

If beef and pork turned up too tough, I would reduce them to pulled pork/beef, slow roast them to floss.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:31 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I did it! I made lemon aid out of lemons!

Actually I made Beef Stroganoff out of tough sirloin roast. I cut the meat up in tiny pieces but not as small as food processor would do. Cooked it on low for 2.5 hours with juices and gravy in crock pot. Then I sauteed lots of onions and fresh mushrooms with a bit a bacon drippings and butter and sprinkled that with flour. Mixed in the meat mixture, splash of sherry and then some sour cream and served it over egg noodles. Meat was extremely tender - WHO KNEW?
Flavor was terrific but the best part was how astounded the whole family was that I pulled this out of the hat.

I explained to the kids "make lemon aid out of lemons" and they thought that was really neat. So now I'm a hero!

Thanks to all who helped. One thing I know is to cook all roast in crock pot but not to buy sirloin roast again.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:06 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times
Quote:
I tried to thicken it with cornstarch but apparently I didn't add enough.
Cornstarch can only be boiled for one minute, then it breaks and doesn't thicken. This is why when we reheat Chinese food it's often runny and not thick. So add it only at the end before serving.

The guide is:
1 Tablespoon of Cornstarch to 1 Cup of liquid.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:15 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times
To make a roast with a cut of meat that doesn't have a lot of fat on it:

Olive Oil on the bottom
Roast, salted and peppered, Sear the roast on all sides
1 onion sliced, put on top of roast and let fall into the liquid
whole carrots, peeled cut in half
whole potatoes
1/2 Cup water or broth

COVER the pan, cook 3 to 4 hours at 350°

It needs liquid and to be COVERED the entire time. The Olive Oil will keep it from sticking to the bottom. It then be falling apart tender and still crisply browned on top.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:22 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I had the same experience, but this was with a chuck steak, I did cook in the crock pot, added bacon, the meat should have broken down, and been tender. Except it was filled with gristle, fat, and basically inedible.

Only thing to save this roast is grind it up, and put BBQ sauce on it.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:46 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
I had a 2.75 lb sirloin beef roast to fix yesterday. I usually cook all roasts-beef and pork- in the crock pot and have excellent results but yesterday I waited too long so i decided to cook it in the oven. I studded it with garlic slivers, rubbed combination of olive oil thyme, s&p and cooked it at 450 for 15 minutes then for about 50 minutes at 350- there were onions and carrots in there too. Recipe said it was done at 130-135 but I let it get to 140 cause (1) we like well done meat. (2) But it was tough and chewy and just terrible. Did I overcook it?

anyhow no way am I gonna toss this meat. I figured I could shred it in the food processor and use it in tacoss with some seasoning. What else can I do to this meat to use it up?

Those two things are inextricably linked.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:52 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,764,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Cornstarch can only be boiled for one minute, then it breaks and doesn't thicken. This is why when we reheat Chinese food it's often runny and not thick. So add it only at the end before serving.

The guide is:
1 Tablespoon of Cornstarch to 1 Cup of liquid.
Thanks for the tip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes