Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 07:19 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,373,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I make a darn good hamburger, but I would be mortified if anyone ever said it tasted like a fast food burger.
I just love the taste of old style greasy spoon/ drive-in style burgers. Anything I make at home just tastes too bland in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 07:56 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
I make better burgers than most restaurants,,,, im a butcher, i make it fresh out of chuck,, most restaurants, have frozen patties,

the poster that said, if you tend to buy LEAN burger, over 90-95% lean,,,its dry and has little flavor..

my aunt use to say "everything tastes better when you go to a restaurant" which pretty much meant,,,you have people waiting on you, serving you, and cleaning up, and you are more relaxed eating, because you arent cooking..,,

some burger joints fry their burger patties on a griddle - i love a fried, greasy taste,,,which i do try to avoid at home

Old 01-13-2014, 07:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Try some of these sites to help make that perfect burger. i usually use an 80% meat 20% fat cut of burger as too lean makes the burger too dry,also cooking too long also dries out the burger..then additives could run the gamut of my creativity.

https://www.google.ca/#q=secret+ingr...rs&safe=active

Old 01-13-2014, 02:54 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,730,320 times
Personally I have never considered a burger more then on the run, fill me up food and I have had some that were considered gourmet. Were they a good burger? Yes. Were they memorable? No.

When confronted with a burger, I usually discard the bun and eat it with a knife and fork.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:29 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
When confronted with a burger, I usually discard the bun and eat it with a knife and fork.
What kind of American are you?

Old 01-14-2014, 03:55 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,509,228 times
I always use medium ground beef when making burgers. I add about a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and some Montreal Steak seasoning to the mixture of ground beef. I use a heavy cast iron pan to fry our burgers in; they aren't half bad!

Old 01-14-2014, 08:36 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,373,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post
I always use medium ground beef when making burgers. I add about a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and some Montreal Steak seasoning to the mixture of ground beef. I use a heavy cast iron pan to fry our burgers in; they aren't half bad!
I will try that. Thanks.
I do think I should use a cast iron skillet.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:43 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,104 times
Buy the fattiest beef, fry it in butter, smother it with a salty seasoning mix and drown it in cheese.

Restaurants tend to cook everything super salty, and fatty and fry it on seasoned cast iron. That's where the flavor comes from.
As a kid, my parents owned several fast food places nd we had the best old stlye greasy burgers. They were all done on a huge iron flat surfaced grill and we places a lid over each burger to steam it while it cooked. Most of the flavor came off that seasoned grill. The kind of greasy, flavor filled burgers that come off the grill with those nice seasoned blackened bits of flavor.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:45 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Home is my favorite burger joint because I don't eat burgers out so yes I can fix a burger at home like that.

I use the outside grill or my cast iron on the stove and get the highest fat content of the ground meat I can find.
Actually I use the broiler part of my toaster oven as well.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:47 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Personally I have never considered a burger more then on the run, fill me up food and I have had some that were considered gourmet. Were they a good burger? Yes. Were they memorable? No.

Around here that is called a "Chopped Steak" and if I fix that at home I toss the knife and fork and pick it up with my fingers if we don't have guests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes