Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:21 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,316,140 times

Advertisements

I made these tonight and they turned out great.

Ingredients:
2 cups bleached all-purpose flour
¾ cup cake flour
¾ teaspoon garlic powder, divided – or 1 teaspoon if you like a garlicky biscuit
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup buttermilk
½ heaping cup shredded pepper jack (or plain Monterey jack) cheese
½ heaping cup shredded cheddar cheese
4-6 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ teaspoon (or so) fresh parsley, minced

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, ½ teaspoon garlic powder (or ¾ teaspoon, if you like a more garlicky biscuit), and salt. Mix the dry ingredients together well. Add shortening, and use a pastry blender or two forks to cut the shortening into the flour mixture until it’s crumbly. Slowly pour in about half of the buttermilk, stirring into the flour/shortening mixture with a fork. Add the cheeses and mix with the fork. Add the rest of the buttermilk and mix everything together until it forms a soft dough. Drop dough by ¼ cupfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Combine butter, crushed garlic, fresh parsley, and a dash more salt into a small bowl. Brush over the tops of the biscuits before placing them in the oven.

Cook for 12 - 14 minutes.

Here are some tips:
DO use the cake flour. It's lighter than the all-purpose flour and helps make your biscuits light and fluffy.
DON'T scoop your measuring cup into your flour bag or bin. Use a spoon to scoop flour out of the bag and into your cup. Overfill your measuring cup and then level off with a knife.
DO use shortening as your fat and not butter. (Save the butter for brushing over the tops of the biscuits before you put them in the oven.) Butter is flavorful but has milkfats that can make the biscuits more dense.
DON'T let your dough get warm. Keep it cool and even put it in the fridge if you have to to keep it cool. (Tip: Turn your AC down before you start preparing the biscuits. The oven is really going to heat up your kitchen and will warm up your dough in no time.)

Cutting the shortening into the flour mixture is not difficult, so if you've never done it before, don't be intimidated. Just keep at it until you think you're finished. The finished product (after the shortening is thoroughly cut in) will be crumbly and look like super-small and irregular pea gravel.

I'm sure it probably doesn't matter to the recipe but I used the coarse grater for the cheddar cheese and the fine grater for the Monterey jack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 08:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
you also can use 7-up or sprite in place of other liquids which makes great bisquits.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:09 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
I have made these too they are awesome I love em although I have had to cut them out of my diet too much fat and starch . I have lost almost 70 lbs since I had gotten sick and I was really overweight so it was a mixed blessing but I really love those biscuits .

Old 06-08-2012, 07:12 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Red Lobster uses a mix similar to Bisquick (I wouldn't be surprised if it was made by the same company).

Although it's not from scratch, I've found I can make similar biscuits with Bisquick, to the ones at Red Lobster -and- similar to the ones at Ruby Tuesday.

The best thing about the pre-flavoring bisquick is that all you need, to flavor it "your way"..is to reduce the amount of milk, if you're flavoring it with cheese, honey, or maple syrup. And reduce the amount of powder, if you're adding cinnamon, quick oats, or nuts. You only need to reduce by a couple tablespoons, regardless..and you only need to add 1/4 cup cheese, or 3 tablespoons of dry flavoring.

I experiment a lot with this stuff. I've made maple-cinnamon-walnut biscuits that are to die for. I really like how the jalapeno-cheddar-jack came out. I've done swiss cheese and shredded deli maple ham, which was interesting but a little saltier than I would've liked. And you can even make half-sized biscuits, cut off the tops, toss some strawberry tart filling in the hollows, and use them as toppers for ice-cream sundaes.

These kinds of drop biscuits (whether you use Bisquick or a from-scratch recipe) are incredibly versatile!

Old 06-08-2012, 08:24 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Red Lobster uses a mix similar to Bisquick (I wouldn't be surprised if it was made by the same company).

Although it's not from scratch, I've found I can make similar biscuits with Bisquick, to the ones at Red Lobster -and- similar to the ones at Ruby Tuesday.

The best thing about the pre-flavoring bisquick is that all you need, to flavor it "your way"..is to reduce the amount of milk, if you're flavoring it with cheese, honey, or maple syrup. And reduce the amount of powder, if you're adding cinnamon, quick oats, or nuts. You only need to reduce by a couple tablespoons, regardless..and you only need to add 1/4 cup cheese, or 3 tablespoons of dry flavoring.

I experiment a lot with this stuff. I've made maple-cinnamon-walnut biscuits that are to die for. I really like how the jalapeno-cheddar-jack came out. I've done swiss cheese and shredded deli maple ham, which was interesting but a little saltier than I would've liked. And you can even make half-sized biscuits, cut off the tops, toss some strawberry tart filling in the hollows, and use them as toppers for ice-cream sundaes.

These kinds of drop biscuits (whether you use Bisquick or a from-scratch recipe) are incredibly versatile!

I used to do drop (plain and flavored) biscuits all the time and used this recipe instead of Bisquick (got it off the web several years ago)

Original Bisquick Baking Mix Copycat
Use as an exact substitute for Original Bisquick Baking Mix

Yield: 6 cups

6 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons baking powder
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
9 tablespoons canola oil

Mix dry ingredients together.
Using an electric mixer, slowly stir in canola oil. (My friend uses one of those fancy pastry tools. I think it's too much trouble, LOL)
Mix until all lumps are gone, about 1 minute. Should be the consistency of cornmeal.
Store in an airtight container.
I kept mine in the refrigerator.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:34 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,483,704 times
I love those biscuits at Red Lobster, and yours look fantastic!

Old 02-23-2013, 09:32 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
Default Red Lobster Cheese Biscuits

On many of these threads here, lots of people, including myself, have often bad mouthed chain restaurants, but one thing I've noticed is that no matter how much this happens, many of you still rave about how great Red Lobsters biscuits are, and I agree. So in the interest of passing on good news, I wanted to let you guys know that I was in Sam's Club yesterday and they are now selling the biscuit mix for these tasty morsels. I used as much restraint as I could muster and passed by them, and didn't even look to see how much it cost. I tried to not even slow down near them, for fear a box would jump into my cart when I wasn't looking. Now, knowing that I could have them any time I wanted, they are all I've been able to think about. Just wanted to share this with those of you that love these biscuits, so you too could share these cheesy filled thoughts with me.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:49 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
WHAT????????? (runs out door to Sam's club)

Old 02-23-2013, 09:49 AM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
The recipe is supposedly out there for those biscuits so you don't even need the mix from Sam's Club, you can just make them from scratch at home.

From what I understand the "from scratch" version is very good but not as good as the restaurant version. I haven't heard anything about the ones made from the mix.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:03 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Yeah, I saw that at Sam's too, on a special display. I am sure it will be a very popular item.

I guess I am the only person in the world who doesn't like those biscuits. To me they just taste like lard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes