Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 05:08 PM

324 posts, read 330,586 times

Advertisements

Hi.
I have a adult family member that is due to unfortunate circumstances now lives alone by my understanding with little cooking skills. Im offering to have a weekly get together so I can teach him some basic cooking skills/meals.
I am pretty busy myself so I would like to find a cook book with mix of different recipes ( not just Italian, medeterenian or chinese e.t.c) but one that combines mix of healthier versions with pictures .That way he can pick out things and I can guide him without having to come up with a meal idea explain it and hope that thats what he wants to try.
So some variety of recipies on healthier side
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 05:37 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
Julia Child's "The Way to Cook."

Yes, some of the recipes are a little fancy, but it's loaded with good, basic recipes, lots of photos, and a good explanation of temps, techniques, and cues to look/listen/smell for while things are cooking. It's a big book and can be expensive, so check with your library and see if they have it available.

Cook's Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen also has several cookbooks that are long on technique description and the recipes are pretty much bullet-proof, but short on pictures.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:55 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
While I'd agree with weezycom on the Cooks Illustrated books, you might find it most effective to teach someone out of your favorite cookbooks, whatever those happen to be.

Also, there's Martha Stewart's Cooking School, which offers one photo per recipe. http://smile.amazon.com/Martha-Stewa...martha+stewart

Old 02-29-2016, 06:11 PM

324 posts, read 330,586 times
Thanks for suggestions, Julia Child's might be even fun for me because as Jay5835 suggested I don't own cook books ( pretty good cook or so people tell me) learned to cook by trial and error and now just wing it when trying to recreate a dish. Probably will learn plenty myself....
Thanks for the links CSD610.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:12 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allsunny View Post
Thanks for suggestions, Julia Child's might be even fun for me because as Jay5835 suggested I don't own cook books ( pretty good cook or so people tell me) learned to cook by trial and error and now just wing it when trying to recreate a dish. Probably will learn plenty myself....
Thanks for the links CSD610.
Good luck, enjoy and keep the pizza delivery number handy just in case like we do.....LOL

Old 03-01-2016, 11:35 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
America's Test Kitchen.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:54 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Fast Food My Way _____ Jacques Pepin

Old 03-01-2016, 12:16 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I would probably just browse through a bookstore to see one that appeals to you.

As for myself, when I first got married, 40+ years ago, I had the paperback version of The Fanny Farmer Boston Cooking School Cookbook, late 1960s version. It was the one I always counted on to make the basic foods. There are probably modern revisions now which contain more ethnic recipes. As long as I had the Fanny Farmer, I could make any basic food, from a pot roast to egg salad sandwiches. It has everything in it.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:55 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I would probably just browse through a bookstore to see one that appeals to you.

As for myself, when I first got married, 40+ years ago, I had the paperback version of The Fanny Farmer Boston Cooking School Cookbook, late 1960s version. It was the one I always counted on to make the basic foods. There are probably modern revisions now which contain more ethnic recipes. As long as I had the Fanny Farmer, I could make any basic food, from a pot roast to egg salad sandwiches. It has everything in it.
And if there's one conveniently located, a Public Library which may not have only books but possibly instructional videos as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes