Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2016, 11:46 AM

32,669 posts, read 48,139,958 times

Advertisements

This one is a winner. It comes in a little plastic tub, like a margarine tub, in the dairy section.

The directions say to roll it out between two sheets of parchment. I tried to roll it on a silicon baking sheet with a silicon rolling pin and that didn't work. So, I placed it between two silicon baking sheets and rolled it out that way. It came off the sheets whole, if I was careful with it.

It's pie crust, but not sweetened, so I have used it for meat pies and for a cauliflower in cheese sauce. It is moderately resistant to moisture.

Steak and Mushroom Pie, recipe is by gosh and by golly.

Saute a bunch of onions and lots of sliced mushrooms in dab of butter.

Add sliced sirloin steak and cook until it barely loses its color.

Add broth thickened with corn starch, seasoned how you like it, simmer until it thickens.

Pour meat into a silicon baking dish (or a glass baking pan would work), roll out the crust and top the meat pie. Follow baking directions for cooking the crust.

This was a hit. The crust has a lovely texture and flavor. Any sort of pastry is a treat around here. I went back and cleaned the store out, so I hope is freezes well.

I also did a hamburger and onion pie with potatoes and carrots. I made that a lot drier and I think the crust was better without the generous liquid. Next time I am going to make the filling on the dry side, cook gravy on the side, and place gravy under the slice of meat pie so that the crust doesn't absorb moisture and there is still a generous amount of tasty gravy.

The cauliflower cheese pie was semi cooked cauliflower and some small cubes of potato, sauteed onions, white sauce with butter and white cheddar cheese, top with crust and baked until the crust is browned. This was excellent.

The Pillsbury Gluten Free Dough also comes in a pizza dough, but I haven't tried that one yet. You bake it first and then use toppings, so who knows. Gluten free dough does not stand up to moisture well, so I'll be seeing how it stands up to tomato sauce. It doesn't look like it is the same product. If it doesn't work, I might try a pizza pie with the toppings on the bottom and the pastry dough on the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 01:12 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,893,779 times
Thanks! I'm always looking for new gluten free items. Crust IS hard. Have you tried Namaste pizza crust? It's to DIE for! I've had Betty Crocker too. It's okay, namaste's is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes