Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 05:56 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times

Advertisements

My once a year window to buy gorgeous garden tomatoes from my neighbor will be over soon.

I've done some fresh marinara sauce, and now my thoughts turn south of the border.

Hit me with your best fresh salsa recipes, especially if you make a great blended salsa. But if your special recipe is more of a Pico de Gallo, don't be shy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 06:51 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
There are many recipes and many variations, here in South Texas.
My favorite is tomato based:
chopped meaty (ripe but firm) tomatoes, chopped green bell peppers, chopped jalapeno green pepper with seeds (medium spicy), chopped onions, minced fresh cilantro, ( sea) salt, pepper, lime juice to taste. Stir. Enjoy!
Chop Serrano peppers for very hot salsa. You can add finely chopped garlic if you like.
Vidalia (sweet yellow onions) are sweeter, red onions are spicy, white are mild, and if you don't enjoy the flavor of raw onion - rinse them after chopping. Seed half the tomatoes so the salsa ( or pico de gallo) doesn't drown in its own juices.
There is not much difference between fresh salsa and pico de gallo, except that pico de gallo is chunkier.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:29 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times
Chiltepins are also widely used in Salsas here in Texas. It's the only wild native chile to the U.S. Birds leave them growing wild every where here. They add a distinct taste to salsas.

https://statesymbolsusa.org/symbol-o...mbol/chiltepin

https://www.slowfoodusa.org/ark-item/chiltepin-pepper

Old 06-19-2017, 09:41 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
I don't exactly follow a recipe but make this every year and relatives and friends love it. I don't follow how much of this or that just adjust to taste.

Garden fresh tomatoes
Roma tomatoes
Sweet banana peppers charred
One jalapeno pepper charred
sweet onion
cilantro
lime juice
salt
dash of sugar

throw them in a food processor or blender.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:45 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
My once a year window to buy gorgeous garden tomatoes from my neighbor will be over soon.

I've done some fresh marinara sauce, and now my thoughts turn south of the border.

Hit me with your best fresh salsa recipes, especially if you make a great blended salsa. But if your special recipe is more of a Pico de Gallo, don't be shy!
Well, there are so many salsas available here I just never bother experimenting, though my kids do. Now if I'm making fajitas I want Pico de Gallo. I do make my own... if it's got cilantro and lime juice that's pretty much a giveaway. Chopped onion, jalapeno or Serrano peppers, diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro and lime juice. I like to add a little minced garlic.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:55 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I don't exactly follow a recipe but make this every year and relatives and friends love it. I don't follow how much of this or that just adjust to taste.

Garden fresh tomatoes
Roma tomatoes
Sweet banana peppers charred
One jalapeno pepper charred
sweet onion
cilantro
lime juice
salt
dash of sugar

throw them in a food processor or blender.
Thanks for all of the responses so far!

Jim, do you have an estimate on how many pounds of tomatoes you would do at a time? I find 3-4 medium sized round tomatoes weigh about 1 lb.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:10 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Thanks for all of the responses so far!

Jim, do you have an estimate on how many pounds of tomatoes you would do at a time? I find 3-4 medium sized round tomatoes weigh about 1 lb.

No because I never write anything down or follow a strict recipe. I add things to taste.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:33 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I have made it the same way for 30 years, when my daughter brought a boyfriend home and they made this version. I know it's a bit imprecise but exact measurements aren't important. You can adjust the proportions according to your taste. I like it hot, with a pronounced lime/cilantro flavor. If you have extra, you can basically whirl it up a bit more and call it gazpacho.

A mixed group of 6-8 fresh tomatoes, including plum tomatoes
A medium sweet onion
1-2 jalapeños
1-2 fresh limes
Bunch cilantro
White vinegar
salt and pepper

I use a mini chopper to chop tomatoes in small batches. It takes about 9 pulses to get small pieces, without getting mush.
Place tomatoes in a bowl.
Pulse the onion and jalapeño until small pieces
Add to tomatoes
Pulse cilantro, add to bowl (start with a 1/2 cup and add more to taste)

To tomato mixture, add the juice of one lime, now add enough white vinegar (about 1/4 cup or so), so the liquid is up to the level of the veggies. Add salt and pepper.

Chill for an hour or longer for flavors to blend. Once the mixture has had time to steep awhile you can pour off some of the accumulated tomato juice and vinegar.

Adjust the amount of jalapeño, lime and cilantro, according to your taste.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:19 PM

743 posts, read 877,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
There are many recipes and many variations, here in South Texas.
My favorite is tomato based:
chopped meaty (ripe but firm) tomatoes, chopped green bell peppers, chopped jalapeno green pepper with seeds (medium spicy), chopped onions, minced fresh cilantro, ( sea) salt, pepper, lime juice to taste. Stir. Enjoy!
Chop Serrano peppers for very hot salsa. You can add finely chopped garlic if you like.
Vidalia (sweet yellow onions) are sweeter, red onions are spicy, white are mild, and if you don't enjoy the flavor of raw onion - rinse them after chopping. Seed half the tomatoes so the salsa ( or pico de gallo) doesn't drown in its own juices.
There is not much difference between fresh salsa and pico de gallo, except that pico de gallo is chunkier.
While there are many, many different kinds of salsas, Pico de Gallo has a standard of ingredients: tomato, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, s&p, lime juice.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:50 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
While there are many, many different kinds of salsas, Pico de Gallo has a standard of ingredients: tomato, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, s&p, lime juice.
I wondered what the difference was. The addition of vinegar in mine, has a pickling effect on the onions and makes them a bit milder, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes