Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 08:31 AM

764 posts, read 508,914 times

Advertisements

Have any of you done that?

What sort of tray to use? How to get started?

I did some quick googling, it does not seem very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2022, 09:17 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
What kind of candy you talking about? I posted a few months ago about an easy recipe for peanut butter and chocolate fudge. My wife and I give plates of "goodies" to family members for Christmas.
She finds the easy recipes, I guess afraid I'll blow up the kitchen. lol
Peanut butter fudge is nothing but a jar of creamy peanut butter and a tub of vanilla frosting, not whipped. Microwave the peanut butter, in the jar, for 90 seconds, then the frosting for 60 seconds. Mix together and pour in an 8x8 pan.
Chocolate fudge is 2 cups of chocolate chips a can of sweetened condensed milk and a capful of vanilla extract. Microwave together in 30 second intervals, stirring each time. Keep this up until the chocolate chips have all melted. Usually took me 3 1/2 minutes. Then pour in an 8x8 pan.

Old 06-02-2022, 10:36 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
"home made candy" covers a lot of territory. What kind of candy do you want to make?

Tray for candy making? I use a quarter sheet pan, which is a cookie sheet that is a bit larger than a regular cookie sheet and I use silicon mats to prevent sticking.

I don't make candy often, but I do occasionally make fudge, peanut brittle, lollipops, or turtles. I've tried making Aplets but haven't had much luck with it.

I've made salt water taffy, but it isn't worth the work involved. And candy apples, which turn out fine, but no one wants to eat them. Caramel corn works well and that gets eaten.

Old 06-02-2022, 10:45 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Unless all you are doing is melting chocolate, you will need a good candy thermometer. Temperature is critical.

If you are doing something with chocolate, buy good chocolate. if you are doing all that work, don't turn out a second rate product because you used second rate chocolate.

Old 06-02-2022, 07:39 PM

@oregonwoodsmoke,
Thanks for sharing, you know, some candy looks like a small square, I want my candy to be in that shape.
yeah, chocolate might be a good candidate for my initial experiment.
Well, for candy thermometer and silicon mats, where can we buy them?

And thank you @kygman as well for your input.

And btw, I don't want it to be fudge but candy.

Old 06-03-2022, 02:24 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
I made butter toffee once, with a chocolate top - like Heath bars. It came out great. I made it in a square glass baking pan and don't remember what I lined it with (or greased it). Whatever the recipe said. I used the soft/hard ball test in a glass of water.

Old 06-03-2022, 06:11 AM

@NYC refugee, sounds interesting, how did you do it?

Old 06-03-2022, 06:45 AM

4,939 posts, read 3,315,369 times
The old BHG cookbook 1977 it has good candy recipes.

And from a herbal recipes book made lemon/cherry cough drops which are like candy.

Old thread from 2017
https://www.city-data.com/forum/food-...own-candy.html

Old 06-03-2022, 09:34 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,529,181 times
I made some turtles the other day. Toasted pecans with thinned down caramels covered with melted dark chocolate. Just make them on aluminum foil. Put them in the freezer to firm up. Then wrap each piece. Hats off to the person that originally thought of this combination. They are quite tasty and somewhat addictive.

Old 06-03-2022, 09:37 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I made hard candy--like lollypops--with mom when I was a kid.
As an adult, I've made English toffee, chewy caramels, fudge, nougat, Bordeaux, peanut brittle, truffles, and dipped bonbons. They use different ingredients and techniques.

Basic hard candy involves heating sugar, water, and corn syrup to a specific temperature.
Candy thermometers are available online or at Walmart and similar stores. Check accuracy by putting the thermometer in boiling water; it should register 212 degrees F or 100 degrees C. If it doesn't, get a different one, or your candy won't come out right.

Parchment paper works as well as silicone mats, is available at any grocery store.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/candy-...ginners-520303 is a guide to getting started; I didn't read the whole thing, don't know how good it is, but looks like it will get you started.

I suggest you figure out what type of candy you want to make, and look for a YouTube to show the steps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes