Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 03:12 PM

496 posts, read 941,062 times

Advertisements

This is a question for all of you who have lived with someone or been married and eventually had the break-up. How do you help things go smoothly during that time period when you have broken up, but have not yet moved?

This can get really ugly for everyone, I think. So I'm looking for some good advice. Strategies that worked for you? Strategies that didn't and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 03:17 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,092 times
My ex and lived together for 6 mos. after it was clearly over; she needed me to take care of her bills, her car care, her everything...she was totally dependent on me anyway....I financially supported her since she was not working (by choice) so it sucked but I did not mind since she was leaving. Whatever meager money she did make she could save as agreed and she did not contribute to the household so she had some funds to go out on her own before the settlement was made. We were basically civil since we gave up on it and knew it was time to move on.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
My ex and lived together for 6 mos. after it was clearly over; she needed me to take care of her bills, her car care, her everything...she was totally dependent on me anyway....I financially supported her since she was not working (by choice) so it sucked but I did not mind since she was leaving. Whatever meager money she did make she could save as agreed and she did not contribute to the household so she had some funds to go out on her own before the settlement was made. We were basically civil since we gave up on it and knew it was time to move on.
Huh. Well. That must have been rough for her, too, but wow! getting to pay all the bills for her! That's something else.

My delay is finding a place, not so much financial, but I have to decide if I want to buy or rent, etc. And I want to buy, but I really don't like this area and my job is not dependent on my location. Can't decide where to move! Hmmm. And, for the record, this has happened before and we have gotten back together too many times to count. I can't stand it. But it's hard not to try to work it out. I guess that's part of it - keeping things civil while not returning to the "what if" conversations.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
People handle it differently. For example, I'm 5 year into the end of my 28 year marriage to a guy who barely speaks to me and is actively (and he thinks "secretly") persuing other women, and we are still living together. It's a horrible and rediculous story but for those of you wondering how this can be possible just know this: I've discovered it's more common than you might think.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
People handle it differently. For example, I'm 5 year in to the end of my marriage and we are still living together. It's a horrible and rediculous story but for those of you wondering how this can be possible just know this: I've discovered it's more common than you might think.
Well, if it works for you, that's great. I can see how it could be convenient once you've pooled a lot of resources. But whoa man! That's a scary vision when I think about it here... in my life. How do ya move on then?

Old 06-14-2010, 08:04 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:
People handle it differently. For example, I'm 5 year into the end of my 28 year marriage to a guy who barely speaks to me and is actively (and he thinks "secretly") persuing other women, and we are still living together. It's a horrible and rediculous story but for those of you wondering how this can be possible just know this: I've discovered it's more common than you might think.
Oh my, I'm so sorry. This sounds terrible to me.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:06 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
My ex and I did it fast. Once our marriage deteriorated to the point that he would sometimes hit me when he was really drunk, we agreed it was over. He permanently left the house within a week.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:13 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
I replaced the "Hers" bath towel with "Next".

Old 06-14-2010, 08:44 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
I've never been ugly and I have stayed quiet to keep the peace, even when he needed an exorcist. Not much else you can do when they are intent on making it ugly.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:02 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,035 times
Quote:
People handle it differently. For example, I'm 5 year into the end of my 28 year marriage to a guy who barely speaks to me and is actively (and he thinks "secretly") pursuing other women, and we are still living together. It's a horrible and ridiculous story but for those of you wondering how this can be possible just know this: I've discovered it's more common than you might think.
Story of my life...You have to put an end to it...I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships