Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:47 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,285,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotStove View Post
Often times I see that guys not only hate cats but think it's flat out wrong for guys (especially straight guys) to own them. My question is why? My parents own 2 cats (yes, I live at home, but I'm only 19 and in college) and while my mom loves them, my dad hates them. I like them and one of them often sleeps in my room.

The only reason why I think guys might not like them is cause they don't respond to alpha male behavior the way dogs do. I like both cats and dogs and don't get that caught up in comparisons between the 2 because they're completely different from each other.

For all you females out there, how do you view straight males who like cats? Does it seem odd to you or do you like it?

My main question is what's unusual about straight guys who like cats?
In my experience, intellectuals tend to like cats. Brainy guys turn my crank. I married a guy with a cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 08:58 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
In my experience, intellectuals tend to like cats. Brainy guys turn my crank. I married a guy with a cat.
Hahahaha.....I heard that too.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:22 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,076,346 times
I love cats!

Old 06-21-2010, 09:40 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
How about big cats like a Tiger?

Old 06-21-2010, 09:43 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotStove View Post
Often times I see that guys not only hate cats but think it's flat out wrong for guys (especially straight guys) to own them. My question is why? My parents own 2 cats (yes, I live at home, but I'm only 19 and in college) and while my mom loves them, my dad hates them. I like them and one of them often sleeps in my room.

The only reason why I think guys might not like them is cause they don't respond to alpha male behavior the way dogs do. I like both cats and dogs and don't get that caught up in comparisons between the 2 because they're completely different from each other.

For all you females out there, how do you view straight males who like cats? Does it seem odd to you or do you like it?

My main question is what's unusual about straight guys who like cats?
There's not a damn thing wrong with a guy liking cats and having one or two

I cannot imagine anyone thinking that doing so is "gay".

While dogs have their place, cats rule!

Old 06-21-2010, 09:46 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,930,339 times
My SO and I prefer cats to dogs...unless we're talking rottweilers or dobermans..dobermen?

I know plenty of guys who love cats, they (the guys) tend to be pretty dry humored, and sharp intellectually. The dog owners I know just want someone to, ya know, love them! (j/k, I know some perfectly normal doggie owning guys).

Old 06-21-2010, 09:56 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,888 times
I absolutely LOVE guys who have or like cats because I'm a huge animal lover. I have heard the perceptions of men being gay if they have cats and I actually know a gay guy who has one. But I don't think that applies to every guy. Actually I don't like guys who don't have a love for animals because I think it's a silent indicator of character issues.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:07 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
I would tend to think that men who have little white poodles and put pink ribbons on their ears and paint their toenails and have rhinestone collars are gay. But I could be wrong.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-22-2010, 12:58 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,042,874 times
Cats are fine to visit- gay owner or straight owner. Dogs are the ones I live with.
Then again, I never had a cat; we have always had dogs. So, yes, if you grew up with cats, nothing wrong with liking them. It comes down to if you're a cat person or not. I am not.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:41 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
I have a cat. I'm male. I absolutely love him. I would have preferred a dog, but I like to live in dense urban environments, which aren't very dog friendly if you ask me.

Something I have noticed over the years is that my straight male peers will often say that they hate cats, but they honestly don't. Usually they fess up to liking cats once I tell them that I own one.

Cats are great. They are low maintenance, and depending on the breed you get, can be EXTREMELY social. They make vary good pets in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships