Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:42 PM

730 posts, read 2,254,041 times

Advertisements

Anyone out there in there ever had an SO who lied to you or mislead you about finances or credit until you were both in a state of financial ruin without saying a word to you - and THEN you found out?I found out when creditors starting calling me. If so were you ever able to forgive them, move on & rebuild your credit together? I am trying to stick it out but am haunted daily by the situation that my husband has put us in. I was just giving him a check for half the mortage, half the utilities, some to help with our bills AND paying all my own. Ony he did not use the $ to pay our payments- he was using them for personal debts he had racked up & not told me about. Our mortage& other accounts fell months behind. I am now paying for the huge ass rings he bought me at 23.9% intrest- because he cannot. I feel a sense of resentment no matter how hard I try to tell myself that I am not perfect & that we all make mistakes.It makes it even worse that I seem to be sacrificing EVERYTHING the kids & I can do without, but he seems to find extra $ money to do personal things. It makes me wonder if he even sees the error in his ways or if this is just the way he wants to live his life. If so I am not sure I want to be along for the ride......
The only positive thing I can say is that he has been working every other weekend for extra $, but if he does'nt cut back on expenses what good does it do? I have talked to him and I always get "we will make it through this"- but the thing is I don't want to just make it through it. I am interested in improving our credit and working towards paying things off, increasing income and NOT being in this situation PERIOD. I have 2 children from a previous marriage that are totally financially supported by my ex & I. I don't even have to ask my husband for anything for them financially. BUT his lies about non payment have wrecked my credit so bad that I could never even get an emergency loan, buy a car or rent a place if my kids ever needed it.FYI-to make matters worse all this happened AFTER I spent years managing to be a single parent AND have a perfect credit rating. He will never know how hard I worked to be able to say that. Can I really get over this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 07:49 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,147,085 times
I haven't been in financial ruins, but I did spend a good year of my life cleaning up my credit reports once!

Old 06-24-2010, 08:13 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,221 times
Yep.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:24 PM

225 posts, read 643,886 times
This happened to my boss. Her husband pulled in a six figure salary, but blew through all of it, racked up cc debt galore, failed to make mortgage payments, kept (and spent) the income from a rental property instead of paying that bill, etc, etc, etc. She just found out last year when they went to a financial planner. She's a saver and denies herself any nice things and, until she discovered what he had done, was extremely vocal about people who had debt or didn't have retirement accounts or couldn't pay their mortgages.

She's now in the same boat and it has devistated her, to say the least.

Her husband is a lawyer and has threatened to shut down her company and take everything she has if she divorces him. He quit his job 18 months ago, so she is supporting the household.

She trusted him, but she had her head in the sand regarding his finances. My coworkers think he probably had/has a mistress or a gambling problem, since he doesn't have alot of "stuff" to show for the money spent.

It's sad because her worst fear was becoming destitute, which is why she saved and never took on cc debt, yet that's exactly what's going to happen to her (she's almost 60). There's a line in a song that goes "that which you fear the most will meet you halfway."

Old 06-24-2010, 08:32 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,253,495 times
Get out now! He won't learn his lesson and you will suffer. It happens. Just start cleaning up the mess and move on.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:15 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
... I try to tell myself that I am not perfect & that we all make mistakes....
What he has done and his spending habits do not qualify as "mistakes" Noem. It is a sense of entitlement and spending behaviour that is HIGHLY likely not to change.

$10 says he has a closeted gambling problem. He will ruin you financially over and over again.

Been there, done that. Never again. And the really rotten part? The lying about the finances was just the tip of the lying iceberg.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:22 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,200,354 times
Yes. But it was different than your situation.

One mistake you made was doing the half-and-half thing. As a married couple you should AT LEAST have a joint account for joint bills and both of you should know whats going on with it even if one person handles all the finances.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:32 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,632,485 times
I'm sorry NOEM. You can't trust him.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:39 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,230,068 times
My late wife was a shopaholic. I'd given my ex all our liquid assets when I divorced her plus $50,000 from a personal note, and we didn't have much extra income. But she had a credit card or two, and every two or three months I'd get the cc bill and see a $4000 charge to a clothing store. Yikes! I'd gently tell her we couldn't afford that; she'd cry, insist on giving me her credit cards, and everything would be okay for a month or two. Then she'd ask for her credit card back for some small purchase, and the cycle would start all over again. It was an illness with her. She just couldn't control it.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:53 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,147,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
My late wife was a shopaholic. I'd given my ex all our liquid assets when I divorced her plus $50,000 from a personal note, and we didn't have much extra income. But she had a credit card or two, and every two or three months I'd get the cc bill and see a $4000 charge to a clothing store. Yikes! I'd gently tell her we couldn't afford that; she'd cry, insist on giving me her credit cards, and everything would be okay for a month or two. Then she'd ask for her credit card back for some small purchase, and the cycle would start all over again. It was an illness with her. She just couldn't control it.
If SHE had to pay them off, she would've learned how to control it real fast! Had she declared bankruptcy before you met her? If not, there's your answer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships