Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 09:01 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times

Advertisements

While I can get along just fine with anyone on a human level, the living situation in a city or large urban area I cannot do.

This was one of the biggest obstacles for me in my dating years coming from a smaller rural area actually.

The city depresses me if I spend excessive or consecutive amounts of time living within it all. I need my space and time away from people and not being around people trying to sell me things at every turn

It literally puts me in a depression and affects my moods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 09:02 AM

722 posts, read 1,328,590 times
it depends what part of the US? for me country people = Red Necks & Okies or lower class trailor trash types

I experienced a lot of bullying and racism from those types, so I definitely dont like "country people" they're kind of like the KKK if your not a white person

Old 07-30-2015, 09:09 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
Many of the big city people have never even seen a firearm, much less fired one. The same goes for fishing and lakes. I have to drive 5 minutes to get to at least 5 lakes. I would go bonkers in the big city and would be dying to get OUT!
I am a city boy. Have lived in big metropolitan cities around the world as a kid following my parents for their job (and no they are not international spy agent), and finally settled in Miami, went to college in Atlanta and now in Philadelphia. So I am a hardcore city boy if you want to say.

I had never seen firearms up close personal.
And I think if I saw one, I would be hesitant to touch it. Just in case, I blow it up! HA HA!

I saw real life cows 3 years ago when I went to Lancaster, PA.
Before then, I only saw cows in the frozen section in supermarkets.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:19 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
it depends what part of the US? for me country people = Red Necks & Okies or lower class trailor trash types

I experienced a lot of bullying and racism from those types, so I definitely dont like "country people" they're kind of like the KKK if your not a white person
While there is a certain stereotype with certain country people in the South and what not, I found most of them are that way because they had not been exposed to the world. I do not know how to say it in a precise way.
Yes that is true there are also KKK etc, but I personally think majority of them are actually open to new ideas - they are just not exposed to it. So they are not really close minded or bigots, they are just never been exposed to new ideas / ideology / concepts.
But with this age of internet, I am pretty sure BillyBob in Kentucky or God knows... Mississippi knows who Jeremy Scott is and what TESLA is.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:02 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
City, country, whatever; having lived in both extremes (a commune in northern Vermont, and the streets of metro NY) I can adapt either way. Just not the soul-sucking suburbs.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 07-30-2015 at 10:33 AM..

Old 07-30-2015, 10:12 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,283,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Sounds like she is too big fer` her britches!
I mean, opposites are suppose to attract, and if she don`t want to have anything to do with you because "your country" then, let her go live her city life.

I need to add though, that I married a city boy, and I was all country girl. I showed him a thing or two on how to come down to Earth, and live on the other side of the tracks, so to speak. I think he liked it...but it eventually fell apart because were just worlds apart.

I would imagine the bold statement is what happens in the end. Sure, you can enjoy things that are city and/or country on the surface level, but there's a country and city mindset that's a play too. I've tried to date country women who wanted to raise cattle and live on a lot of acreage and it just never worked out. Sure, we were open to trying different things related to city and country lifestyles; however, we were just too far apart on core fundamentals. I'm a city guy through and through, so living on a lot of acreage and raising animals is not something that I would want to do. I come from a town of barely 100,000 people, so I'm not saying I would want to live in a city that has 1 million people either. For me it's just the fundamental differences of not wanting the acreage and the animals. It's just not my thing.

Last edited by weezerfan84; 07-30-2015 at 10:23 AM..

Old 07-30-2015, 12:54 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I am a city boy. Have lived in big metropolitan cities around the world as a kid following my parents for their job (and no they are not international spy agent), and finally settled in Miami, went to college in Atlanta and now in Philadelphia. So I am a hardcore city boy if you want to say.
That's great.

Quote:
I had never seen firearms up close personal.
And I think if I saw one, I would be hesitant to touch it. Just in case, I blow it up! HA HA!

I saw real life cows 3 years ago when I went to Lancaster, PA.
Before then, I only saw cows in the frozen section in supermarkets.
Then there are things you, yourself haven't been exposed to just like everybody else.

Quote:
While there is a certain stereotype with certain country people in the South and what not, I found most of them are that way because they had not been exposed to the world.
How many do you know?

Quote:
I do not know how to say it in a precise way.
Why not?

Quote:
Yes that is true there are also KKK etc
What does that have to do with anything?

Quote:
I personally think majority of them are actually open to new ideas - they are just not exposed to it. So they are not really close minded or bigots, they are just never been exposed to new ideas / ideology / concepts.
Oh.

Quote:
But with this age of internet, I am pretty sure BillyBob in Kentucky or God knows... Mississippi knows who Jeremy Scott is and what TESLA is.
Seriously?

Old 07-30-2015, 03:39 PM

698 posts, read 587,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwesterner View Post
OK, so here's my situation. I'm a countryboy, & I've been kinda getting serious with a girl from the city (NYC to be exact.) It's been about 2 months or so since we've been dating so far, and we've seen each other almost every other day. That just makes this whole thing weirder. I like her, but ever since I told her that I was born, raised, and currently live out in the country, she's starting to get a little distant.

She's not answering my phonecalls, avoiding me in public, and I found out through a friend that she gave another guy her phone number. Now I know there are a lot of red flags and I probably should just move on, but I'm curious about this. I never thought it mattered whether you're country or urban as long as you like each other.

The question is: Do you think that country people and city people can possibly be compatible for a relationship? Tell me why or why not.

Thanks
IMO, no it would never work out long term. Culturally, you two are just completely different and if things get serious who is going to give up their current lifestyle to accommodate the other? A short term fling, but beyond that it would go nowhere. It sounds like you have reached that point already.

You also have friends and family to consider. How is the country family going to handle having a city girl hanging around? How is a city girl's family going to deal with the inevitable rednecks and redneck activities going on in the country?

Last edited by newtoks; 07-30-2015 at 03:50 PM..

Old 07-30-2015, 07:56 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
I like both.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:10 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
It's all hit and miss for most of us.

I'm an urban person living in a country-ish environment.
The few women I've been able to make any sort of conversation with around here have all been people who moved here due to military service./
Or, those who've lived here all their lives but traveled around quite a bit and rejected the rural culture themselves as well.

As indecisive as I am about getting into a relationship, I definitely know a woman with a country up-bringing isn't for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships