Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:13 AM

484 posts, read 1,217,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NationwideService View Post
but it just seems like all the guys I meet for dates online are always broke.
Be free and get outside to meet people. These guys are probably broke because they use all their money for Internet service.

Seriously though, it's the age group that you are in. You can't expect dudes either in school or fresh out to have much to their name. Don't look at what the guy has in his wallet today but rather look for a guy whose on track to have more down the road. I recommend that if you like any of these guys, you turn this situation into a positive: doing free or cheap stuff together is a great way to get to know the real person without all the masks and bling that come with money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 10:40 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,526,326 times
Quote:
It just seems, they never have money to take me out anywhere
And why don't you take them out?

Old 07-19-2010, 10:43 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,284,702 times
Quote:
By no means am I trying to seem as if Im better (and I myself have to deal with money issues occasionally) but it just seems like all the guys I meet for dates online are always broke.

It just seems, they never have money to take me out anywhere...or even when I offer to just do something simple like a $1 movie, they cite being broke
I know most women, specially in the west, want/expect/demand to take the initiative, do the approaching, ask women out, be a gentleman, take care of all expenses, put men under observation/tests/probation, etc. But, since guys are not asking you out, how about you doing it all for a guy? What holds you?

If men find a girl attractive, they don't care if she's broke, has a career/degree, has her own transportation, etc. As long as they find her attractive and nice to hang out with, they'll take care of her without the need of tests/observations/probations/etc.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:45 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,207,344 times
Quote:
By no means am I trying to seem as if Im better (and I myself have to deal with money issues occasionally) but it just seems like all the guys I meet for dates online are always broke.

It just seems, they never have money to take me out anywhere...or even when I offer to just do something simple like a $1 movie, they cite being broke. In my case, I don't even log onto my dating profile if I dont have gas or money that day.

Its just like, is this what the internet attracts? Older men with money and younger broke men? It just seems my past few dates have been with guys like this and its just making me wonder whether its a bi-product of online dating, the lingering economy, the city Im at, or just a day in the life of a early/mid 20's something dating scenario.

Either way, its becoming a drain. Its hard to enjoy a real dating relationship when its not equal footing. Its like the Billy Preston song....
Ha-ha, wait till they go through a wife or two and a bunch of kids! Not everybody leaves exes better off than they were before, like I do! Instead of indulging myself, I the idiot was saving and working towards the common good!

Old 07-19-2010, 12:00 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,356,356 times
Quote:

It just seems, they never have money to take me out anywhere...or even when I offer to just do something simple like a $1 movie, they cite being broke. In my case, I don't even log onto my dating profile if I dont have gas or money that day.

Its just like, is this what the internet attracts? Older men with money and younger broke men? It just seems my past few dates have been with guys like this and its just making me wonder whether its a bi-product of online dating, the lingering economy, the city Im at, or just a day in the life of a early/mid 20's something dating scenario.

Either way, its becoming a drain. Its hard to enjoy a real dating relationship when its not equal footing. Its like the Billy Preston song....
It's not just online, younger men who are well off are just not as common. Young men are just starting out. You have this fact coupled with the stigma of being a young male (Young males are always out for trouble) which keeps them from getting a good job.

Then there is the economy and other things like that. Face it. If you want someone with a lot of money, you may have to go for someone just a little older than what you usually go for.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:08 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,402,569 times
I have no problem if a guy is broke due to loans, bills, or the fact that he's still in school. I understand that because I'm broke myself-ha! However, if I do have a something left in my checking account and want to hang out, I'm still willing to pay for him. Money does not stop me from hanging out with him! We can always do cheap and fun activities like walk in downtown and take pictures! Buy one smoothie that we can share. That's all.

But if he's just lazy and not willing to work....Forget it!

Last edited by ho hey!; 07-19-2010 at 01:29 PM..

Old 07-19-2010, 12:37 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,181,267 times
Quote:
Why are so many men my age always broke?
I know it has already been asked, but I will ask it again: what is your age? What is the age of the guys you are targeting?

And what type of guy are you looking for? When a guy says he's a "professional musician," for example, that often means "I get paid cash for gigs then I can get them" -- and that's not usually a path to financial security. What kind of guys are you rejecting? Are you, for example, ignoring guys who are a bit older and, hence, more likely to be established in their career?

Finally, where do you live? Flint, Michigan, and Camden, New Jersey, are not generally known as employment and economic powerhouses. Are you searching for a guy in an economically depressed part of the country? Economic conditions vary dramatically from place to place in the U.S.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:42 PM

635 posts, read 1,705,484 times
I am not broke, but i am not financially secure either. I pay for mortgage/bills, food, transportation, gas, insurance, entertainment. I do have some money left after all that but I can see how an emergency or something not planned could leave me broke...

Old 07-19-2010, 12:59 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,549,150 times
Quote:

It looks like some younger men are under the impression that women are desperate (especially the ones doing online dating) therefore in his mind he's doing you a favour by going out with you. So why should he pay? Don't believe for a second that he doesn't have money to spend, he just doesn't want to spend it on you.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:05 PM

611 posts, read 775,002 times
Are these men REALLY broke, unemployed, low paying job, etc? Or are they just plain old tightwads?
Find out more about them before planning a date.
Also, if you are working, even if you don't make as much as he does, most men would appreciate a woman who offers to pay for the dates sometimes. It is 2010, not 1950.
If you can't do that, then at least invite him over to your place for a romantic, home cooked meal. And don't forget the nice table setting, flowers, wine, maybe a little candle light.
This does not mean that you have to "put-out" on the first couple of dates, either. Don't. It's wise to wait awhile. Get to know him and know you like him.
Hey, it's summer and there are lots of cool things to do now that won't cost anything.
Pack a picnick lunch and play in the park. It's great to feel like a kid again at times.
Good luck. Real men ARE out there! You'll find him.

Last edited by WestWillow; 07-19-2010 at 01:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships